RGB Selector for Everything

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Similar to what Thalanor mentioned here in 2016... Is there any reason we cant have an RGB selection menu that applies to all things colorable? It would cut the block IDs waaay down, give us the players all the colors. Unpainted blocks could be silverish (not grey), but if a color is chosen before construction than they would require a generic 'paint' added to the recipe. It wouldn't be any different than what we have now, just condensed... and better.

Reactions: davedumas0
    Reaction score
    Block IDs aren't a problem, but the amount of information in a block could be. It's better performance-wise for at least internally using different blocks.

That said, I would like to just be able to paint hull a different color, and without having to mine asteroids to get the paint.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't mind mining for the paint, but I would love to just be painting a generic block instead of having to build specificly colours blocks.

Reactions: JNC

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Similar to what Thalanor mentioned here in 2016... Is there any reason we cant have an RGB selection menu that applies to all things colorable?
    Yes. Holding RGB values in a block would require blocks to store a LOT more data than they do now, if you want a range of colours that makes the RGB system even worth it.

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm... so the blocks cant be a blank slate until a color is picked for them? They all have to store the data for all possible colors at all times?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For flexibility, this would effectively require a second, invisible copy of the ship in memory, with meta data for each block.

This invisible copy would only need to consist of "meta blocks" vs. normal, visible blocks in the normal copy of the ship. Then it is very flexible for background ship things, like RGB(A) coloration, invisible logic connections or lighting hints or sound effect hints or... etc., etc., etc.

If a person did not set a lot of RGB coloring on their ship, the invisible copy would be very lightweight. People who use RGB extensively would use a lot more RAM.

Theoretically, you could put RAM control in the hands of the server admin by restricting the use of meta block types via XML. Want a less colorful pallett, but easy on the RAM? Disable RGB metablocks and/or meta-logic blocks. Want better lighting and ambient sounds at the cost of using more RAM? Enable lighting and sound meta blocks. Want to prioritize RAM? Disable all block effects and ship copies. Easy.

If the game needs to implement multiple meta blocks in the same coordinate, the game simply makes another invisible ship copy and places the second meta block on this copy. Then the game just chains through all the copies available, compounding effects for any given visible block. Massive changes to the blocks in a ship, such as missile damage? Once the blocks that need to be removed are figured out, those same blocks should be pretty easy to remove from all copies at once.