Revert Sun damage to how it used to be.

Reaction score
    What the title says.
    I have no idea why it was ever changed to the explodey effect that punishes larger ships and targets docked entities for insta-death (or insta undocking like heat seekers do).

Think now is a good time to discuss this as Schine seems to be focusing on making some sensible changes to the games balance.

I ,and others I play and speak with, have never liked this change, the old way that gave the appearance of Sun heating up and scorching your ship seemed more realistic and much better, and from what I recall you could defend against it killing you by having enough layers of hull between you and the sun damage. (About 7 layers of hull seemed to do the trick)

A smaller ship getting burned up and the pilot dying much quicker than a larger ship, that one would think would have better heat dispersion and overall protection, again made more sense imho.
    I feel if you threw a tie fighter and a star destroyer at a sun, the tie fighter would go '*poof* long before the Star Destroyer did and they would burn up, not start exploding all over the place, especially where things are docked to them. (Someone, elsewhere suggested making system blocks explode from over heat, like computers. That I think makes sense. But not advanced armour..... o_O)

I think an easy solution could be made to implement heat shielding at the same time, give existing blocks a heat rating (similar to what I'd like to see done for how heat seekers target things.)
    With Basic Hull having the lowest heat resistance and Advanced Armour having the highest and Standard obviously being the middle ground.
    This could also be combined with how thick the armour is, for 'radiation' protection. As I mentioned with the layered effect and it being that with enough layers a pilot could be protected from sun damage, because back then you could easily be killed and damaged before your ship was, which for me did a good job of simulating radiation/heat damage on a life form.

It would also eliminate the need to add more systems to the game and make it unnecessarily complicated.

Something else that could be done, if possible, is have zones around a sun, the closer you get to the Sun the more the damage it causes.
    The furtherest Zone causing light damage, the closest Zone (point blank) being instant death, regardless of ship size and mass.

Honestly nobody should be flying around or into Suns unless they want to die, and it seems to usually be a consequence of not paying attention to navigation. It should, I think, not be an option for smaller ships to get away from bigger ships. Pilot skill and strategy should be what is used for those scenarios.

Well that is my thoughts on the subject. ;)

Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You and Server Owners can change most aspects of Sun Damage in the GameConfig.xml file.

The biggest problem right now is the default 5 seconds before taking damage which is way to short.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The old star damage system did the exact same thing of "destroy random blocks on the ship," it just didn't cause explosions that scaled in size.

Reaction score
    You and Server Owners can change most aspects of Sun Damage in the GameConfig.xml file.

The biggest problem right now is the default 5 seconds before taking damage which is way to short.
    Yeah we one of the first things we did on the craftau server was increase that to 20 seconds. Generally buys people enough time to get clear.
    Have to have another look though, cannot recall any settings that turned off explodey effect.

<SunHeatDamage>
    <DamagePerBlock>1.0</DamagePerBlock>
    <MaxDelayBetweenHits>0.2</MaxDelayBetweenHits>
    <SunDamageRadius>8.0</SunDamageRadius>
    <SunDamageDelayInSecs>5.0</SunDamageDelayInSecs>
    <SunDamageMin>100</SunDamageMin>
    <SunDamageMax>1000000</SunDamageMax>
    </SunHeatDamage>
    I know you can change the warning time, sun damage radius and strength, but getting that damn explosion off while keeping damage in place cannot see anything or to stop it targeting docked entities. Other option I can think of is in server.cfg to completely disable damage altogether.

Might mess round with DamagePerBlock maybe if reduced it might mean damage is not so insta-death for docked things.

The old star damage system did the exact same thing of "destroy random blocks on the ship," it just didn't cause explosions that scaled in size.
    I have to disagree except for the random blocks being, I don't recall my turrets becoming instantly undocked, and while the damage was random, the blocks seemed to scorch away slowly, as if they were being burned away as well as you could take damage if you were not behind several layers of hull, might just be lucky, but I've not yet taken damage with the new way as a pilot as long as I am behind any amount of hull.
    Like missiles the sun damage now seems to behave like missiles and hit the outside, and like heatseekers targets docked entities before all else.
    And again, it clearly punishes larger ships over smaller ones, as stated by the devs themselves, which once more the original damage did not do. All blocks were equal previously regardless of ship size.

So it really is nothing like the original damage.
    If it was the same, there would of been no need to change it. ;)

Any ways, it's a suggestion hence why it is in the suggestions forum. I'd like to see it reverted if possible. Not have to try and hack fixes myself. Otherwise I'd be posting in general or support. (y)

Reaction score
    I built a station inside a star when the old sun damage was in effect. It was EPIC, i isolated the very center of the star made a sun gate so that there was only one way to safely approach the star with a ship.

It was very broken, but way fun

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I built a station inside a star when the old sun damage was in effect. It was EPIC, i isolated the very center of the star made a sun gate so that there was only one way to safely approach the star with a ship.

It was very broken, but way fun
    check out 8 8 8 on light vs dark server