Restrict eject ship if at speed.

Reaction score
    At one point, my ship was moving at a pretty decent speed, I was messing around and accidentally hit the 'r' button, and in less than one second, there I am in the middle of space, and my ship is speeding off into the distance.

I understand that sometimes bailing out at great speed is desirable, Fire Ships and whatnot, but there should be some restriction, a restriction that can be overridden easily, to prevent you from leaving your ship unless it isn't moving, or isn't moving very fast. Perhaps, 'R' to eject, but only 'Shift + R' works while you're above 25 kph.

Side-note, that ship ended up near a planet, but out of it's gravity. That ship is now entirely uncatchable, if I get close to it, it jumps a few thousand meters. That's another topic.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I kind of agree. However, I think it should be a simple verification ("Would you like to leave the ship? Y/N") without speed calculations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Isn't this already a thing? By default, if you are moving at over 50m/s the game should display a message when you try to get out of the core. This speed is configurable in settings.cfg

G_MUST_CONFIRM_DETACHEMENT_AT_SPEED = 50.0

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I was about to say haha, this is already a feature.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Already a Feature

Pro-Tip, rebind your exit ship button (I use O) and you will never accidentally eject from your ship again.

Pro-Tip 2:

Reactions: Snk
    Reaction score
    Okay, that's wild. Then I'm going to end this suggestion by advising one and/or two things. 1) That you always appear inside the ship (I know why you don't, there's a small difference between leaving the ship and spawning in the world, and the ship is long gone). 2) Lowering the default. Even at 35kph, it'll take ages to reach the ship, and that's because I aimed it directly at a derelict when I tested it.

Edit: Nice about the sitting. My problem wasn't hitting the button accidentally, it was not realizing I was moving. Which seems silly, but space is funny.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Okay, that's wild. Then I'm going to end this suggestion by advising one and/or two things. 1) That you always appear inside the ship (I know why you don't, there's a small difference between leaving the ship and spawning in the world, and the ship is long gone). 2) Lowering the default. Even at 35kph, it'll take ages to reach the ship, and that's because I aimed it directly at a derelict when I tested it.

Edit: Nice about the sitting. My problem wasn't hitting the button accidentally, it was not realizing I was moving. Which seems silly, but space is funny.
    I have had times where I know I've stopped the ship but once I jump out it's still moving.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    A remote control stop button that automatically stops the last entered ship you were in.

Reaction score
    What should be done is when a player exits a block then the player remains in the same 'world' that the block is in, so the player would always be with the ship, regardless of how it is moving, unless they move far enough away to exit the shipworld and be back to normal space of course...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What should be done is when a player exits a block then the player remains in the same 'world' that the block is in, so the player would always be with the ship, regardless of how it is moving, unless they move far enough away to exit the shipworld and be back to normal space of course...
    If you align (space while looking at entity) to the ship, this will happen. You will be part of the ship 'world'. Really you're just attaching yourself to the ship entity.

Reaction score
    If you align (space while looking at entity) to the ship, this will happen. You will be part of the ship 'world'. Really you're just attaching yourself to the ship entity.
    Exactly, should be done by default when exiting a block.

Reaction score
    Isn't this already a thing? By default, if you are moving at over 50m/s the game should display a message when you try to get out of the core. This speed is configurable in settings.cfg
    &
    However, I think it should be a simple verification ("Would you like to leave the ship? Y/N") without speed calculations.
    The default speed of 50 can be changed in the Options to 0, then it will ask you no matter what speed you're going.