restoring an autosave file

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So a mis-click in the navigation panel at 11:33 pm central standard time set my ship and toon through a sun. Don't give a bleep about the toon. The ship... I have spent the last 50 minutes searching this site for some info on how to restore an autosave file. Oddly enough there is not a single post to find on the topic. This does not bode well.

It's a single player game.

Is there even an option to restore an autosave? If so, how?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    The game does not have "save files" in the sense you are thinking. The data base is constantly over writing itself, so nothing is saved seperatly.

The only way to get the ship back is to put yourself into god mode and go into the sun after it. Or, even better, go into the server.cfg and turn off sun damage since it's really lame in general.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Holy Expletive Batman! I have the base design saved, but not the 40+ hours of tweaking it. I hope Schine comes up with a solution for this. I guess they never heard of safety systems. So the warp system will send you hurtling through a star huh? How incredibly short sighted. Why design a game with an annoyance factor like that. The point is to make the game enjoyable.

Here is an idea for Schine to try out. Turn off all your safety systems at the office, in your car, and at your home.. See how much fun you have. If you don't figure it out, my 30+ years of gaming predicts the game will flop.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Holy Expletive Batman! I have the base design saved, but not the 40+ hours of tweaking it. I hope Schine comes up with a solution for this. I guess they never heard of safety systems. So the warp system will send you hurtling through a star huh? How incredibly short sighted. Why design a game with an annoyance factor like that. The point is to make the game enjoyable.

Here is an idea for Schine to try out. Turn off all your safety systems at the office, in your car, and at your home.. See how much fun you have. If you don't figure it out, my 30+ years of gaming predicts the game will flop.
    Yes the safety system is saving your ship to a blue print before you go speeding off into space with it.

Warping through a star doesn't kill you, but coming out of warp right on top of one does. Don't warp around blindly.

The game is designed around a server database. It doesn't "save" the way a single player game does. There is not a single snap shot or save file, there are lots of little files all being saved and updated independent of each other. A Starmade database can easily be 60+ gigs large.

That being said it would be possible to add a feature that allowed you to create a data base back up from within the game. Keeping in mind even a zipped back up can be pretty large.

You should post a suggestion :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So a mis-click in the navigation panel at 11:33 pm central standard time set my ship and toon through a sun. Don't give a bleep about the toon. The ship... I have spent the last 50 minutes searching this site for some info on how to restore an autosave file. Oddly enough there is not a single post to find on the topic. This does not bode well.

It's a single player game.

Is there even an option to restore an autosave? If so, how?
    Ok, I've got to ask the obvious question here. You lost a ship that seems to be the issue at hand and you want to restore it. From the way you talk about restoring the file you have admin priv. So why not find the ship destroy_entity and spawn a new one. You did save it and back it up or not?

Or is their some other reason escaping me you wanted to restore the file?

Reactions: Gunmetalmonk
    Reaction score

Or and not to be rude here but you could uh..... idk try not jumping into a star that would definitively prevent you from dying too sun damage.. Just a thought.

Right now sun damage is kinda stupid just doing player hp damage and not harming a ship doesn't really make sense to me but that doesn't change the fact that it takes some kind of mental lapse to jump your ship into a star, yes we have all done it at one time or another but honestly we are the people who set the nav course and we are the only ones responsible for jumping into a star.

TL: DR suns need a change but we as players need to take responsibility for our mistakes and not blame them on someone else.

Edit: suggestions to help with this problem
    1. ability to set "chained" waypoints
    2. suns damaging the ship from the outside in instead of just killing a player
    3. automated warning when you nav path takes you through a sun (this wouldn't stop it from happening but it would at least let you know you need to be checking your map as you travel)

Edit2: this is actually not a single player game, in fact when you play by yourself you are actually just running a multiplayer server that only you play on.

Last edited:

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    my 30+ years of gaming predicts the game will flop.
    Minecraft features item drop on death and no "backup save file" feature. Many other games do too. Their sales have, despite this, not gone down at all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't care about the toon death. Or the coin or block loss. Easily replaceable. When you die in minecraft, do your constructs disappear? That is my issue. It was a mis-click from the "p" panel. I clicked on the jump button instead of the station I was going to change the way point to. There should at least be a warning dialogue. Thanks for the file restore info. I will look into that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ok, I've got to ask the obvious question here. You lost a ship that seems to be the issue at hand and you want to restore it. From the way you talk about restoring the file you have admin priv. So why not find the ship destroy_entity and spawn a new one. You did save it and back it up or not?

Or is their some other reason escaping me you wanted to restore the file?
    The only backup I had was the shipyard design to the point where the test sector became useless. I wanted to test the salvage beam collection speed, zero effect system and jump drive distance. To do that I had to construct the ship to take it into the real world for testing. When I brought her back, I just docked her to a rail on my shipyard, not the anchor. I know, bad idea. But I had other projects I was playing with at the time. So from there on I was making tweaks outside the design system. Once done I was going to dock to the anchor and make a blueprint of the final version.

Now the best part...

Thank you for your suggestion. With a little data file trickery I found in another post and your direction to spawn from admin (which got me pointed in the right direction), My ship is back. Thank you again!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1445358405,1445357598][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The game does not have "save files" in the sense you are thinking. The data base is constantly over writing itself, so nothing is saved seperatly.

The only way to get the ship back is to put yourself into god mode and go into the sun after it. Or, even better, go into the server.cfg and turn off sun damage since it's really lame in general.
    Thanks for the info. I turned off Sun Damage in the server.cfg file. Good thing I did too. When I spawned in the game again, it spawned me at the center of the sun. I must have had that sun as my warp destination, good grief! Guess I would have died again? The only entity that survived was a point defense turret. But I was able to recover the ship with the help of GRHayes suggestion and another post I found on SDM2 files. Many thanks to Timethatswasted and GRHayes for their ship saving advice.