Research block and modified items and weapons through research.

Reaction score
    As the title suggests, I would very much like to see a research block replace the current need to purchase recipes from shops.

I suggest this because I would like to see players rely less on shops on my server, and more on their own crafting.

Playing the role of scientist and explorer, it would be very cool if people started out with a research block and could set up a lab on a planet, researching different item and block properties. Instead of buying the recipe, they would add an item (or combination of items) into the research block and click the research button.

On the left under categories, a new entry would go in there, filling an item into the same place that it would be listed on the shop window. When they click on it, it will tell the items needed, but not how many.

In order to print a recipe, the player would need to input a certain amount of a certain element. The game could have one single element be the universal "currency" of the research/recipe printing system, or it could randomize according to the player.

I feel it would be very cool if players could survive in a universe without shops, as currently recipes are only available through shops, and cubits only function with shops. If a shop is full, you can't break down items into cubits, so even if you have a shop in the universe, it easily becomes full and won't allow the breakdown of cubits to craft from scratch with.

In a role playing sense, it would add a whole new role to Starmade, having people who dedicate their playtime to discovering new combinations and analyzing all sorts of materials to find great recipes.

If they don't like their current recipe for antimatter blocks, they can scrap it and see about trying again. The system could also be engineered in a way where a person selects an item from the list on the left (or drop down box like the cubits) and then when they add items to the researcher, it will analyze them and either accept them as the first element of the recipe, or reject it altogether.

With the current cubit system, items have different atomic properties. If the atomic properties of items were hidden at first, and then became revealed by performing research, people could start to gather items, analyze them, then build up a database of atomic properties of the items they discover. The data would be saved to their character, so each person might develop their database in different ways.

The recipe system and the cubit system could be combined, in this sense, by allowing people to basically figure out the recipe for items by uncovering the properties of the items they wish to produce, then discovering sources of those properties.

Anyway, that's my idea in a nutshell.

*The next part is a copy/paste of additional options which could be implemented, with the research aspect"

I posted this idea in response to someone else's idea,

but it fits here, too.

More practical uses for the research block.

I think the idea for pirates and npcs using modified modules and weapons is great, but how about the existence of these blocks also has the mechanics of modular research?

If you want to research antimatter guns to find a recipe for a stronger version of it, you would put the antimatter gun into a research style factory, input some ingredients that it requires to perform the research and then start the process. It could work off the tick system, meaning it doesn't just output the recipe, it takes time, and the result could be varied.

The other option is to put a module in a single slot on the GUI of the research factory, then put in different elements in another slot. After performing the research, the GUI would give a comparison chart of the gains or decreases that resulted from the research.

Putting 1 metate into the element slot and researching it resulted in a 1 point increase to the power of the antimatter cannon, though it decreased the range by 1 as well.

If you print this recipe, produce that item, then start research on the resultant item by placing a new element, it might make up for the loss of range, and even add a point to the fire rate.

The player could choose whether to print the recipe as it is, or keep adding new elements to tinker with the module research until it is at a desirable level.

When the module gets to a certain point, it could be upgraded to a new tier, at which further gains could be reached, however this tier upgrade only happens if the recipe is printed.

To perform tier 2 research, you'd need to produce that module, then put it in the research slot, after which you'd continue trying new elements to further increase its potency.

There could even be bonuses to reaching a new tier, such as different behaviors for weapon types, like beam instead of pulse, or a slight aoe effect.

The key to this research would be in how it allows more power to be packed into smaller spaces, making specialized ship types.

-Caid

Reaction score
    Would be pretty cool to see added. I\'d like to see the random factory greatly decresed, though, so most players have similar recipes (such as Hull must always be made out of various \"metal\" alloys, and Power Blocks will always require Awsomite as the reactor core, or things like that).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    this would be amazing just always have one non random ingreient for every recipe. so a player couldnt stummble on 3 redrock for a shicore or something stupid

Reaction score
    I\'m glad it made enough sense to be liked. I had trouble wrapping my head around it well enough to illustrate it, that and I was also refining the mechanics of the idea while I wrote it, to clarify how it would work in the game\'s mechanical system.

Reaction score
    but it fits here, too.

More practical uses for the research block.

I think the idea for pirates and npcs using modified modules and weapons is great, but how about the existence of these blocks also has the mechanics of modular research?

If you want to research antimatter guns to find a recipe for a stronger version of it, you would put the antimatter gun into a research style factory, input some ingredients that it requires to perform the research and then start the process. It could work off the tick system, meaning it doesn\'t just output the recipe, it takes time, and the result could be varied.

The other option is to put a module in a single slot on the GUI of the research factory, then put in different elements in another slot. After performing the research, the GUI would give a comparison chart of the gains or decreases that resulted from the research.

Putting 1 metate into the element slot and researching it resulted in a 1 point increase to the power of the antimatter cannon, though it decreased the range by 1 as well.

If you print this recipe, produce that item, then start research on the resultant item by placing a new element, it might make up for the loss of range, and even add a point to the fire rate.

The player could choose whether to print the recipe as it is, or keep adding new elements to tinker with the module research until it is at a desirable level.

When the module gets to a certain point, it could be upgraded to a new tier, at which further gains could be reached, however this tier upgrade only happens if the recipe is printed.

To perform tier 2 research, you\'d need to produce that module, then put it in the research slot, after which you\'d continue trying new elements to further increase its potency.

There could even be bonuses to reaching a new tier, such as different behaviors for weapon types, like beam instead of pulse, or a slight aoe effect.

The key to this research would be in how it allows more power to be packed into smaller spaces, making specialized ship types.

How do you feel about that?

Reaction score
    I don\'t know where the actual crafting system is going, but I\'d totally dig a do-it-yourself kind of upgrading my stuff! You like long range weaponry? add this and that. But you\'ll have to sacrifice reload. You like faster regen shields ? add those things. but you\'ll have to sacrifice capacity.

Nice thing is, balance is already thought and offered with the idea, which currently the game is a bit away from for now. I\'d like to see schema point of view about this system!

Reaction score
    The cool thing about this idea is that after enough research, using different combinations, people would be able to develop away from a weapon\'s weakness. Right now, a person can make an uber weapon with lots of blocks, this would also allow uber weapons, but one would have to work towards them. You could build up the first tier by focusing on range, produce the recipe and a module from that recipe, then begin your next tier recipe, working on another attribute. As it\'s tier 2, the other attributes would have a baseline, meaning you could focus on rate of fire while only affecting the range no lower than the tier 2 baseline.

Another benefit of tier systems or even just an attribute that could be increased could be max limits of blocks in the same group. Schema could set the max for a completely stock antimatter cannon to only allow up to, let\'s say, 20 blocks in that group.

Doing research and getting that tier up could mean that the tier 2 weapon does more damage, but also allows 30 blocks together. The number could be fixed to tier, or it could follow the baseline model, whereas the baseline for that attribute is locked at the state it was at when it hit level 2. If it was at 17, 15 being baseline for tier 1, future research and modifying could bring it higher, but not lower than 17.

If you didn\'t bring the initial value of a module down with research on your module, it won\'t be able to go lower once it hits tier 2. Likewise when you hit tier 3, though achieving tier 3 would be exponentially more difficult, a value of multiplication that could be configured in the config file for the server.

Reaction score
    It would mean that people would be producing very unique recipes for modules, therefore adding more value to the player shops that are intended to one day be added into the game.

Granted, this feature would also require some sort of databasing system, not to mention modification of the current id system from whole numbers like 211 to decimal numbers indicating modification, like 211:12352

Reaction score
    This is just a minor detail concerning the aesthetics of it, but different tiers could produce different coloured beams, to signify their tier.

The graphic produced by the weapon, during fire, could also be altered to show tier.

If people alter engines, the flame coming out of the block could change. Missile colours could be changed, and the missiles themselves could fall under a single unified system where all missiles are dumb missiles until research is placed into them, causing the properties of the current missile types to become inherent in those modules.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Caid, you should be right there next to schema working with him for ideas. This idea has my full suppport.

Reaction score
    This would add another level of playability to the game. I myself would love to just sit there and play around with all the particles and stuff to make something great without relaying on the shop. Also, I can finally have a use for a pretty lab :D

Reaction score
    After having cubits work on a planet briefly and then reverting back to the \"no shop within range\" message and being unable to do crafting again, I feel more and more that it would be soooo nice to be able to discover recipes by exploration and harvesting.

I hope this idea can gain more support so we can see a new gameplay mechanic compliment an already great game.

Reaction score
    This should definetley be implemented. More customization and unique experiances for each individual player helps with the creativity and the prolonged interest in the game.

Definetly behind this idea. Hope Schema see\'s it!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I\'m not sure about the usefulness of tiered/customized weapons. We already have the weapons menu, you can use that to customize your weapon specs... Though maybe tiered weapons could replace it instead.

Tiered weapons would likely be overpowered for late-game players to use against new recruits to a server, lending a possibly fair, possibly unfair advantage by making a ship with more power/storage/thrust/shields/weapon strength per block... Though maybe that would just push endgame further back and provide more content to experienced players.

Different tiers for modules would also increase pressure on your inventory space and storage, as having multiple subtypes of every ship part would take up lots of space, and as Caidicus said, would likely require a reworking of item IDs... Though currently items stack almost indefinitely(up to 2.14 billion if I\'m guessing right) so currently one only needs a dozen or less PlexStorage blocks to pack every item in the game other than recipes and logbooks... And a reworking of item IDs might inspire even more features later in development.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the additional comments.

Planet, if you\'d re-read the second post I made about weapons, you\'d see that by locking current stats after a higher tier is reached, this would mean that gun attributes couldn\'t go below that point. This would mean that, unlike the current adjustment options that have stat increases of one stat bringing down other stats, the attributes of the other stats wouldn\'t be able to go lower than that minimum.

I do, however, really like your idea that weapon stats can\'t be modified by opening up the weapons menu, but have to be modified through research. That would really improve the mechanics of research and mean that different players would be almost certain to have different weapons on their ships. This would also mean that people could really refine a recipe for, say, anti-matter cannons, and then start selling them to other players.

The more I think about your idea of making all weapon adjustments a research based affair, the more excellent it sounds, seeing as it would mean people would be spending hours and hours just doing research on their modules.

Nice one.

Best Regards,

Caid

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I think I see what you mean about locking weapon stats, and I\'m definitely seeing more pros than cons in general. But there\'s one last thing I\'m not so sure about.

I don\'t think there should be a limit to the amount of modules in an array, even if it can be increased with research. That puts pressure on newish players to learn the research system before they build up their ships, which may add a layer of complexity too soon for some people to handle. Research and modified weapons should, I feel, be more of an endgame feature, something to be learned after one has mastered the basics of play.

Other than that, you have my full support. I wish you good luck!