Request- low res texture pack, or how to make one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Could someone please make a low-res texture pack for updated star-made? I have searched quite a bit, but can't find any that will work with the new texture pack format. Or could you tell me how or get me a link that shows how to make a texture pack for star-made? Again I have tried my best to find a place showing how, but couldn't.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
    Or just give us a way to switch back to the old one.

I can\'t even tell computers apart with this pack and everything is too damn shiny.

~Signed, Unpleasable Fanbase Member.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It also KILLS my pc, it can\'t handly the high res. Overheats after like 5 min, and that makes the game quite unplayable :-/ used to play it a ton, but now its really hard to. My pc kinda sucks... but there is nothing wrong with it. Heat sink is fine, fan works great, for some reason the cpu is stuck at 100% with the update. I think it could be the textures but its hard to tell with all of the changes made since I played a lot.

Reaction score
    you can change the texturepack from the launcher. All the included packs have a 64x version.

To be honest though, a lower res pack wont help much. You need to lower the demand of the game on your system by reducing the settings like the segment count, turning off the procedural background, shadows, etc. These will have higher gains of performance then a lower res pack which realistically will only benefit load times.

Making a texturepack is easy.
    1. Go to StarMade\\data\\textures\\block
    2. Copy any of the folders you see and make a duplicate. Rename it to whatever you want.
    3. Go into your new copied folder and ensure there is a folder called \"64\". Or you can make a new folder called whatever resolution you want. IE 16, 32, etc. This is where you textures will go. Look at the folder structure to know what files need to be there and what to name them.
    4. Use any good ol image editing program and have at it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have put everything like segment count to the minimum, no backround, 64 texture pack, tried all settings for the mb of vram used, shadows are off, render distance is at lowest. I just spawn at the shop and it is bad, not even anything big is nearby.

Thanks for the texture pack bit though, I will do that when I have a chance. I\'m not entirely sure that will lower the acuial resolution of the pack though, it might just make it look like a lower res pack without changing anything. I can guarintee that changing the res of the pack effects performance though, If i use a 128x pack I can\'t even do anything. 1-0 fps, I get about 20 which I am happy with using the 64x one, but it is really choppy and drops down to single digits if I look around quickly. Thats before I even have a ship around sadly, so that part I am not happy with.

Reaction score
    If youve lowered everything then theres not much else you can do. The game is just too much for your laptop.

Yes, lower res packs can help, but not as much as people think. Going gtom 128 to 64 will see a difference because it is 4 times smaller But the gain from using lower and lower resolution textures is deminishing returns (Less gain with each incriment lower)

You make the textures smaller by scaling down the texture sheet image. Currently it is like 1024x1024 for 64x textures. Scale it down to 512x512 for 32x textures.

Reaction score
    its a cleaner version of the original and im about 42% done with it, your welcome to use it when its finished its a 64 bit one

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ll lower the res, and see how much it helps. Hopefully it helps a lot, if not I guess I\'ll have to wait to play till I get a new pc. Unfortunately that isn\'t looking like it will happen any time soon.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You can turn off a ton of settings to make your starmade FPS go up, like the fancy backgrounds and such.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    had this error but it worked anyway after hitting okay

RescourceException: overlays.png in /home/me/StarMade/date/texture/block/OldStyle/64 has a different resolution than at least one other texture: 1024x1024, 512x512

but all of the textures are the same res, so I don\'t see what the problem is. I double checked and triple checked that they are, so the exception could be a bug, not sure.

It works great now, 30 fps and much less heat generated, thanks a ton, I can play again :D

All of my settings are at minimum, backround off, no shadows, no bloom, I\'ve allready done that but thanks for the advice.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I\'m well aware not everyone can / would want to run the 256 textures with additional features such as shadows / normal mapping.

So in the drop down menu for texture packs there is an option called \"Pixel\". This is a 64px pack with updated designs.

The old defaults (Beetlebear\'s textures) and the old \"cartoon\" textures will no longer be supported officially when new blocks / systems are added.
    Consider this a soft transition period. Although feel free to continue adding to them as a community.

I think if you plan on making an even lower res pack, bare in mind the amount of colours shown. I think preformance at such low res will be effected by number of colours rendered more so than 32pixel vs 16 pixel tiles. But i\'m not 100% sure on that.

As for the shine War Dog, turning normal mapping off will help a little. I currently have no specularity control for individual textures. So it\'s an engine factor, not textural.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    but i\'ll try reducing it to 32 and see if I get better performance. That is a interesting thought about the number of colors, I hadn\'t thought of that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I simply resized all 4 of the textures to 512x512 and put them in a new sub-directory called \"32\" and the launcher did not recognize them. I tried to alter the config file manually to force it to load this directory and the launcher will no longer start :(

Also, not just a low-res texture pack, but a no-animation (no gif) config file would be great, also. gif texture animations take up processor time that us on the low-end would prefer not to lose, for little/no graphical pleasure gain. Space Engineers is about graphics... Starmade is about gameplay and building. Right? ;)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Most of the default textures are 32x32 stretched to 64x64. I\'ve actually updated a few of them for my personal use but I\'d be interested in seeing another updated default as I am not a fan at all of the \"realistic\" packs.