Replacing the Ship-Core

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Greetings Citizens of StarMade,

I know the developers aren't happy with the current system, a ship needs to have a ship-core.
    I don't know if they have any ideas for a solution.

Which function has the core?
    Actually the core is used to spawn a new ship, to get into build/fly mode,
    and snapping the systems like weapons and supply to your hotbar.

Removed Functions:
    Docking - In the past the core-position was the docking-position, this feature was replaced during the implementation of the rail-system.
    Center of mass - In the past the position of the core also was the center of mass. This feature was replaced after the new system with armor and structure HP was implemented.

(Feel free to post more current or removed functions, if I forgot something)

Possible Solution:

The Core will be replaced with a Pilot-Seat

Systems could be connected to the Pilot-Seat.
    Spawning a new ship is like spawning a station. A hull-block will show up.
    To get into Build-Mode you can use a BuildBlock.
    To get into Fly-Mode you can use the Pilot-Seat.
    The Pilot-Seat is like the BuildBlock removable, replacable. You don't need one on the ship to simply have the ship but to fly the ship.

Feel free to post otther suggestions or add ideas to my solution or point problems my solution would cause.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I know the developers aren't happy with the current system, a ship needs to have a ship-core.
    We're completely happy with the current system. :)

Command chairs (pilot seats), essentially what you're asking for here, are already planned. They will likely be a block/model you link to the ship core. Command chairs are one of the most frequently requested features.

Reactions: Lolvondon

captainairspeed

CEO of ATC and Registered Button Pusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    cant wait for the Command Chair also Space Whales...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    cant wait for the Command Chair also Space Whales...
    Build some

I don't know if they have any ideas for a solution.
    The devs apparently are, but the builders are not.

But having a core is still better than ships requiring 8 chunks by default (if your core were at 0-0-0).

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I feel I should point out there is one more function- anchoring the build.

Blocks on ships can be freely removed and placed. There's nothing to stop you from, say, building a kilometer-long line of blocks, placing something at the far end, and removing the line itself and everything at the starting point. On a technical level, this is horrible, since all the blocks are suddenly in the something like the hundredth chunk away from the center, and the game remembers this, even if the player doesn't. The core, being unremovable, serves to put the game's metaphorical foot down on this, at least with ships- place whatever extensions and tendrils you like, but the center stays where the center is.

Reactions: cogi234
    Reaction score
    I feel I should point out there is one more function- anchoring the build.

Blocks on ships can be freely removed and placed. There's nothing to stop you from, say, building a kilometer-long line of blocks, placing something at the far end, and removing the line itself and everything at the starting point. On a technical level, this is horrible, since all the blocks are suddenly in the something like the hundredth chunk away from the center, and the game remembers this, even if the player doesn't. The core, being unremovable, serves to put the game's metaphorical foot down on this, at least with ships- place whatever extensions and tendrils you like, but the center stays where the center is.
    Could we make a system where the grid stays, but the starting block is a build block that can be removed/changed?

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Forgive me, I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

The core serves, among other things, to make sure there's always at least once block near the center of the ship's internal coordinate system.

If this block - call it a ship core, a pilot seat, a build block, whatever - can be removed at all, this purpose is defeated, since a situation with no blocks around 0, 0, 0, and all functional systems around 1000, 1000, 1000, is now possible.

We could move the coordinate system, of course, but not easily. This would be the same as implementing ship core moving in the current game, with all the messiness that entails.

Reaction score
    Though short term it would be nice to move the core, once a different type of pilot/command interface is introduced you won't really need to move it.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The Core will be replaced with a Pilot-Seat
    I wouldn't like to see the core replaced by a seat. I feel it's a pretty good representation of the core of the entity.
    I only wish the ship core functionality were applied to all entities, including stations, planets, stars, wormholes etc.
    Naturally not with ship controls, but options appropriate to the entity type. As much fun as it would be to pilot a planet around, it doesn't seem like a good idea. Although such use of a core could make targeting and moving such objects easier for admins.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I, like many here both like and dislike the core. From a building perspective it's a bit frustrating when you inevitably need to move it to a new location. And there's not always an intuitive place to put it on the bridge or what ever RP space you want to put it in. However I do appreciate knowing exactly where the ( 0,0,0) spot on the ship is, it does help with finding missing blocks and such. Also now that core drilling is no longer a thing, you can strategically place your core (and faction block) as a piece of armor.

I believe that once we get "command chairs" and the ability to move the core in advance build mode, the negative aspects of the core will be adequately remedied.

Reactions: terra mining corp.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I, personally, would like to see the core eventually go away completely as a unneeded relic. It is not strictly needed for building (see: stations). It is the interface and control point for the ship, which can be replaced eventually by command chairs.

Recommended mechanic for being able to replace/move critical control systems:
    Place a new control system (E.g. command chair) and slave the old control system to it. Then simply remove the old control system. In the background, the game should simply re-slave all the slave systems from the old control system to the new one.

Control systems like command chairs can then completely negate the need to "move the core". There should be no core to move.

captainairspeed

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    but then how would you spawn the ship without the core?

Reaction score
    I'm in favor of keeping the ship core. I would enjoy seeing ship control seats alongside the ship core, as well as being able to relocate, and re-orientate the ship core.

Keep the Core. Add control seats. Add ability to relocate, and re-orientate the ship core.

_Scooter98_

Reaction score
    I would change the core to an invisible meta block located in the center of the craft calculated by LxWxH.
    You cannot interact or see the core, it should just be there to represent you ship to the world in the map and hold what ever info the current core has.

You should be able to enter build mode from any where just by hover you mouse over a block AND being the owner of the craft or being allow to edit the craft in the factino block setting.

changing the button for build mode away from R to B would allow you to interact with object on the ship with out entering build mode.

Reactions: wafflepie

captainairspeed

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    That would make the build block redundant

The core works but it is a nice idea to have other ways to control the ship aka the pilot seat but you still need the core

The way i see it the core is the main computer that handles everything onboard the ship you need it for the ship to function and can use it to access your ships functions

The pilot seat would be a way to interact with the core not a replacement

Or come at this from a RP perspective you have a ship you have a seat but how is the seat controlling the ship without a computer brain it can input commands into

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    OK, but even though logic blocks represent a regression to ENIAC-level-computing in Starmade ships, I find it hard to justify the need for a special "ship" computer, when the average smart phone now contains all the processing power of at least one of the four redundant Space Shuttle computers (1 MB RAM, 1.4 MFlops). When you consider the plans to integrate highly complex beam systems into the Starmade spacesuit, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that the suit's built-in computer(s) would be powerful enough to drive a ship's memory banks, sensors, navigation, and other control systems. In effect, the control chair, or whatever other control systems you interact with to control the ship, is a docking port for not only your body, but for the computer in your suit. Plus, if you insist on having a ship core, you can probably build a more attractive core out of decoration blocks, than what the core block looks like on its own.

Reactions: wafflepie

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Though short term it would be nice to move the core, once a different type of pilot/command interface is introduced you won't really need to move it.
    Meh, possibly.

I'm currently building a ship where I don't know where I want the core to go yet, so I've got it floating way off to the side of the ship along with my temporary logic to make sure things like rails work properly. I do this fairly frequently, I'll build the shell of the hull out on the side, then copy/paste it around the core where it needs to go later.

Would still be quite handy to be able to move the core in situations like that, though I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a deal if putting the core absolutely anywhere inside the hull was acceptable.

Reaction score
    #core lives matter.

The core is also a block that, from my knowledge, is the first block added to StarMade, I Havve not got any evidence only word of mouth.
    The ship core is also something StarMade does differently, replacing the core with a simple block, like how stations are built, would take away that difference.
    How often are you building, and spawn in a ship core to quickly move from point-a to point-b without admin commands?
    the core is also where the ships Nav blip is located, a new way to calculate, centralise, etc the Nav blip would need to be added.

_Scooter98_