Replace Missile Tracking From Slave To A New System

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    With a weapon update looming I thought it might be a good time to remove the tracking aspect from slaves and give it to it's own system. This would give us greater flexibility in our missile systems and could even allow for new tracking types to be added such as a missile that tracks to where you are looking instead of using a lock.

Reaction score
    With a weapon update looming I thought it might be a good time to remove the tracking aspect from slaves and give it to it's own system. This would give us greater flexibility in our missile systems and could even allow for new tracking types to be added such as a missile that tracks to where you are looking instead of using a lock.
    Breaking down your suggestion, I see two parts to it: remove slaving and add a new system to replace it. I decided to say slaving in general because you can't really remove one without removing the rest (it defeats the purpose).

I think this could be a great idea, but you would have to develop it a little more than just saying "replace it." Why not think up some kind of interface or system that would be better than just slaving systems? For example, what if you could interact with weapons computers and use some kind of Modification Point system to upgrade your weapons for certain purposes? It could work similar to RC and chambers, just without the chambers. Say you want to increase your missile's speed by five levels. That's 70% of your Mod Capacity. Homing is another 15%. Something along those lines. This could also be used to replace the active effects of effect systems on weapons. 15% Mod Capacity for a level 1 explosive effect on your cannon. Such a system, in my opinion, could be a major improvement upon the current remnants of weapons 1.0. Additionally, there could also be upgrades to influence the damage type of your weapon. Using Mod Capacity, you could decrease the kinetic damage of your cannons to increase the thermal damage, or something like that (at this point I may as well just create my own separate post for this).

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    I think it'd be better to give missiles tracking by default and then possibly (but not necessarily) remove it on mis/can.

Reactions: JumpSuit
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Some great ideas here!
    Using a Chamber system on weapons *could* be an effective way to replace effects or even slaves as well.
    It would certiantly cut down on the number of block types required, and make refitting weapon systems 1000x easier.

Reactions: YamiHikari
    Reaction score
    Hmmm... this idea could be brought further and just make it all computer functions built off of basic missile, beam, and cannon physical systems. For example. I could spend 5-20% on converting a missile to have a secondary effect such as Shot-gun, higher rof, lower rof, or even invest in multiple of those so you could make a cluster nuke for example. Then,you could add on a targeting system,: 10% for fly-by-wire, 20% for Heat-Seeking, 30% for lock-on, or 50% for instant-lock-on, etc. Then sink another 10-60% into making it a faster/longer ranged missile system. Then use my remaining points for "warhead" stuff more like current terciaries (explosive, pierce, punch, overdrive, ion, stop, etc).

Balanced right, it could lead to a lot more options than we have now instead of less; so, that things that are currently always useless, might find use through min-maxing and vice-versa. The same system could also be used to make beams and cannons more fundamentally different than one another if their options of upgrading are different. For example, give beams more options for controlling tic distribution and subsystem targeting priorities, and maybe cannons have more options for damage distribution and anti-defense-chamber options.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    Hmmm... this idea could be brought further and just make it all computer functions built off of basic missile, beam, and cannon physical systems. For example. I could spend 5-20% on converting a missile to have a secondary effect such as Shot-gun, higher rof, lower rof, or even invest in multiple of those so you could make a cluster nuke for example. Then,you could add on a targeting system,: 10% for fly-by-wire, 20% for Heat-Seeking, 30% for lock-on, or 50% for instant-lock-on, etc. Then sink another 10-60% into making it a faster/longer ranged missile system. Then use my remaining points for "warhead" stuff more like current terciaries (explosive, pierce, punch, overdrive, ion, stop, etc).

Balanced right, it could lead to a lot more options than we have now instead of less; so, that things that are currently always useless, might find use through min-maxing and vice-versa. The same system could also be used to make beams and cannons more fundamentally different than one another if their options of upgrading are different. For example, give beams more options for controlling tic distribution and subsystem targeting priorities, and maybe cannons have more options for damage distribution and anti-defense-chamber options.
    I could totally get behind this

Reactions: Dire Venom

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Breaking down your suggestion, I see two parts to it: remove slaving and add a new system to replace it. I decided to say slaving in general because you can't really remove one without removing the rest (it defeats the purpose).

I think this could be a great idea, but you would have to develop it a little more than just saying "replace it." Why not think up some kind of interface or system that would be better than just slaving systems? For example, what if you could interact with weapons computers and use some kind of Modification Point system to upgrade your weapons for certain purposes? It could work similar to RC and chambers, just without the chambers. Say you want to increase your missile's speed by five levels. That's 70% of your Mod Capacity. Homing is another 15%. Something along those lines. This could also be used to replace the active effects of effect systems on weapons. 15% Mod Capacity for a level 1 explosive effect on your cannon. Such a system, in my opinion, could be a major improvement upon the current remnants of weapons 1.0. Additionally, there could also be upgrades to influence the damage type of your weapon. Using Mod Capacity, you could decrease the kinetic damage of your cannons to increase the thermal damage, or something like that (at this point I may as well just create my own separate post for this).
    Nope that would be way too complicated.