Repetitive Strain Injuries (Prevention)

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I think every game forum needs a thread like this.

Please post your experiences with pain or injury from playing games or using computers in general.
    I would like to focus on three things:

1) Diagnosis. Listing symptoms to help people determine if they are at risk.

2) Prevention. Suggest ergonomic hardware that minimizes problems.

3) Treatment: What helps the pain? Stretching, wrist-braces, exercise.
    [doublepost=1468511536,1468511466][/doublepost]Diagnosis.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Carpal tunnel syndrome: (RSI)

Diagnosis: Characterized by numbness and tingling in the hand and fingers (little-finger, ring & middle-finger mainly) Palm is affected as well. Weakness and loss of dexterity may also result. Tendons get inflamed from excessive use leading to swelling then scar-tissue. Hands tend o curl inward while sleeping causing symptoms in the morning. Nerve-conduction tests can help confirm diagnosis of CTS. Made worse by some gel-pads (or gel-gloves) vibrating tools and pressure on the carpal valley that is between the two meaty pads at the base of the palm. Cycling and tool use may contribute.

Prevention: Avoid gel or soft foam pads that focus pressure into the carpal valley. Take regular breaks every hour and stretch. Wear wrist braces in bed to keep your wrists in a neutral position while you sleep. Avoid marathons of computer use...vary your activity. Try different hardware. Trackballs, ergonomic keyboards, vertical mice etc. *Learn advanced build-mode to save clicks.* Raise your handlebars on your bike or swap them out with cruiser handle bars for a more upright posture.

Treatment: Massage therapy, Chiropractic, Self-massage, Stretching, Cool packs or Chillo. Carpal release surgery is simple and proven if the symptoms get very bad. [In Canada this was covered by medicare and took about 25 minutes.] ART (Active Release Technique).

Trigger finger: Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)

Diagnosis: The tendon gets swollen at a finger-joint and gets stuck. Pain, swelling stiffness and loss of dexterity. The finger will lock-up snap open (or closed). Caused by mouse-clicking or hovering middle-finer over wheel (or using scroll-wheel).

Prevention: Take breaks often. Self massage and cool packs help. [My trigger finger caused loss of use in my right hands for months. When I finally had a doctor look at it it was pretty far gone. He said it would get better on it's own or I would need surgery. After a year without surgery it has mostly gotten better.]

Treatment: in spite of my doctor's skepticism getting treatment from a massage therapist helped tremendously. Self massage and cold packs reduce swelling. Stretching also helps. Contrast-therapy: alternating heat & cold for about 15 minutes each.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like to alternate between a regular mouse and a thumb-trackball mouse. I use one for a few hours then the other. Sometimes after lifting heavy weights one will feel more comfortable than the other. You can leave multiple mice plugged in at the same time.

I use to think carpal tunnel syndrome was something that developed over a long period of time, until someone I worked with got it in a 2-week period from using a post hole digger.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I just bought a Kensington Orbit trackball with scroll ring. I am using it for my off-hand (left) and it works very well.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I have...
    AZZA Gaming Mouse that came with my pc
    Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball
    Logitech Trackman Marble Mouse

I flip-flop between the first 2, but I rarely use the marble mouse because I have no need to, alternating between the first 2 fixes what little problems I have, and I don't like gaming with it. I think I originally bought the marble mouse because my clicking finger was getting a slight soreness, but the soreness went away without using the marble mouse much. Which is strange, because they both left-click with the same finger, maybe it's at different angle or something?

I've used various gel mouse pads and 3d boob mousepads in the past, but I don't feel like they made much difference. I mean the boob mousepad was comfortable and all, but I don't think it prevented anything.

I've used my left hand for mousing a little bit at work (pc tech), but never got completely use to it. Some people at work had cluttered desks and were left handed and their mouse cords were permanently mounted to the left side of their desk, so I kinda had to get use to it a little.

Working on computers and having computer gaming as a hobby at home, I like checking out various mice and mousepads to prevent problems because I'm on my computer a lot. The only mouse I haven't tried is the vertical mice.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Vertical Mice ftw
    ...The only mouse I haven't tried is the vertical mice.
    The reviews talk about people taking as long as 2 weeks to get used to a vertical mouse, but I took to mine like a fish to water. It took me about 2 days to stop accidentally clicking the buttons above and below the thumb grip. Since those are the "previous page" and "next page" buttons, and don't affect gaming normally, the accidental clicking didn't hold me back. No more numbness.

Reactions: Lukwan

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Should be in off-topic...
    You are correct, but sometimes technically-correct is not the most important thing. It is certainly relevant and it affects Real-Life so I would argue that the subject warrants attention.