Render detail blocks behind transparent ones

Reaction score
    If I want to make some decoration behind glass or some corals below water, the detailed natural blocks (maybe rods and capsules too?) are not visible. Pls tell me it can be implemented. I hope you just need to change something with the "is walkable" variable.
    20160827043033_1.jpg

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I would like this as well, but transparency is very hard to get correct and performant in a voxel game. Many of the objects for planets are going to be LOD objects so that may fix it, but we'll see.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What nightrune said. It's not like this on purpose. This is a limitation of the game engine in it's current state.

Reaction score
    Or have that stuff allways rendered if it is not more than 30 blocks away?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The game will need an in-depth rewrite of the rendering pipeline. It's a long-standing issue that prevents things behind other things from rendering, even when there is transparency. It makes large structures quick to render (because stuff under the surface doesn't need to be rendered), but makes stuff invisible behind translucent blocks when it shouldn't.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    In the mean time I like to play with cool optical effect this produces. " Its not a bug, Its a feature". :)

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    That would be telling...

be seeing you...

Reaction score
    This glitch is a real pain sometimes. Never yet found a useful spot for it. So, Lukwan, you really should share at least something. You can't just leave us hanging like this.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Fair enough I'll try to try. Just couldn't resist the Prisoner reference. 6;)

The problem is...what few experiments I have done with this have been lost with the worlds they were in. The dog ate my homework & I have not been playing for a couple months due to strain from work and adapting to my new track-ball. I am doing a fresh start on my single-player world now,so I can load up a ship that has some examples and take screen shots.

I'll edit this post in the next day or two and ...represent. :cool:

Edit: *For some reason my screen-caps have the stars whited out...should not affect the effect.

Here is what I came up with.
    " Keeping surfaces clean." This stuff would be a mess if we could see both textures.
    starmade-screenshot-0474.jpg
    "Clean lighting" I removed the blue crystal slab to reveal the (otherwise) invisible white light-rod. On the second floor of the tutorial ship the floor has red crystal giving each floor a unique color-tone. starmade-screenshot-0476.jpg
    "The disappearing Plant" From outside the ship you see no plant...but go inside and: voila. starmade-screenshot-0482.jpg
    "Weapon Nacelle" from AVN drone fighter. My favorite effect. These nacelles were an experiment in simulating some kind of 'charge' that gets fired. Looking from different angles the red crystals are a continuous line, absent altogether or as shown; a broken line. Doubtful anyone could see this in combat. This is just evidence of my 'rich inner life'. :D starmade-screenshot-0487.jpg
    "Quirky" Many transparency effects are subtle. Very little earth-shattering effects but I do play them for fun. starmade-screenshot-0493.jpg

"Simple yet elegant" Red crystal fronting a charged cct background providing ghost-light (no source). starmade-screenshot-0494.jpg

Last edited:

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This glitch is a real pain sometimes. Never yet found a useful spot for it. So, Lukwan, you really should share at least something.
    I'm not Lukwan but how about invisible lightsources behind ice? It's great for looks, I know it doesn't offer anything gameplaywise. I also think (if possible) the fix of this should not effect multiple layers of the same block because that would look strange.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I like that charged crystal cannot be seen through transparent objects, because that is generally how I do most of the lighting in my ships, because big rooms need to be lit effectively, and covering the ceiling with lights is just not good enough.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Geez...I did my homework but still no grade....:rolleyes: