Remove power capacity?

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Why not just remove power capacity and have weapons draw power as they charge?

Small ships or turrets could use high damage weapons
    Firing a high alpha weapon at the beginning of combat could cripple your power generation
    Might be easier for AI to use
    The power capacitor space could be used for crew quarters
    Emp effect would have to be reworked

Leave power generation the way it is.

Rework the power aux system into the new reactor system that generates heat.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    "your ENTIRE ship is usless during X time"
    Your entire ship would not be useless. Just a portion of your power would be redirected to the weapon until it could recharge. If your alpha strike weapon were too big the ship could be crippled. The weapons systems would require the same about of power to fire. weapons blocks would all draw power at the same rate it would just take longer for alpha weapons to charge. The weapons themselves would act as the capacitor.

- Small ships or turrets doing that gets an overload that make it useless during "X" time.
    Again the ship or turret would not be useless. The weapons would draw power until fully charged. As long as there is power available the ship or turret could fire another weapon or maneuver.

- You are going to pass from a non human entity that have a recharge penalty of using too much energy to a non human entity that is useless for overloading.
    Right now if you or the AI try to fire a weapon that you don not have enough power capacity for your ship will stop generating energy while you or the AI hold down the fire button. This mechanic limits how you can effectively use the AI.

BEST IDEA EVER, and i am not being joking.
    At least we have some agreement with regard to the aux system

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Okey my bad i was supossing you were defending the Schine idea about new power systems and it is a original stuff.

But then i have no idea why you said you ship is not going to be useless and then said could be cripplep. And please define Alpha weapons, usually is a word that does not concretise anything.

You know how the weapon system works correct?

Still confusing about the stuff you said that a ship can not be useless and could be cripplep.

Fixed:

AI sucks at this stage of the game, but the power capacitors mechanics are more than that RIGHT NOW:

- As i said before if your capacitors pool get depleted until gets at 100% again you are going to have a penalty at the energy generation.
    - If you have an array of weapons and they have not enough energy to shot all the array you shoot only the barrels you can "feed". Different barrels have diferent timers to shoot, while they get "feeded".
    - Capacitors are a way to balance combat, without those some weapons combos needs a rebalance or are going to be a combat breakers.
    - There are more stuff about capacitators but i have no idea if you want to read it.

You can always have things in common with other people.

I want the weapons to work more like the scanner system. The scanner draws power until it is charged. The amount of power that is used is proportional to the size of the scanner. Weapons could use a very similar system. The amount of recharge would be proportional to the size of the weapon system.

Example-- a missile/beam weapon has a 45 second cool down. Instead of a cool down I'm proposing that that weapon draws power for 45 seconds to charge. So if you were to fire a very large missles at the start of a battle your power recharge might be severely limited for the next 45 seconds.

Reaction score
    I want the weapons to work more like the scanner system. The scanner draws power until it is charged. The amount of power that is used is proportional to the size of the scanner. Weapons could use a very similar system. The amount of recharge would be proportional to the size of the weapon system.
    That's literally what Lancake said about regen vs. capacity problem, right before official overhaul thread was closed.

Instead of consuming the power needed when fired, it should consume power over time during its cooldown.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    That's literally what Lancake said about regen vs. capacity problem, right before official overhaul thread was closed.

Crusade mentioned the idea half way through the thread I really liked it so I wanted to expand the idea and discuss.

I quit reading the original thread about 30 pages in.
    [doublepost=1487619909,1487619851][/doublepost]At least I think it was him I couldn't find the original post

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    New Why not just remove power capacity and have weapons draw power as they charge?
    Add option to turn weapons on/off to control power drain, have the weapons continously drain power and lose charge if they can't to prevent instakill ships and i think we're good. Could also add batteries instead of capacitors or convert aux into that (would make sense interface ways) that provide higher e/sec than reactors but only as long as they have power stored, and don't regenerate on their own and i like this :)

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Add option to turn weapons on/off to control power drain, have the weapons continously drain power and lose charge if they can't to prevent instakill ships and i think we're good. Could also add batteries instead of capacitors or convert aux into that (would make sense interface ways) that provide higher e/sec than reactors but only as long as they have power stored, and don't regenerate on their own and i like this :)
    I was thinking they could use the heat mechanism to prevent small ships from fireing 10 nukes and just Instakilling. Your ship could overheat if too much energy leaves the ship in too short of time.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Jarraff What is a nuke? is a word that does not concretise anything like alpha weapons.

If someone thinks that is not a correct question remember that words not exits at game there are only concepts that depends on who is using it.
    Very large Missile/pulse or missile/beam weapons are often called nukes in reference to atomic bombs or nuclear bombs

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Small ships or turrets could use high damage weapons
    Small ships and turrets can already use high damage weapons. Alpha weapons take very little space, and the default 50k power allows you to make cannon or beam turrets capable of punching through 1.25 to 2.5 layers of advanced armor with just 35 (counting computers) blocks.

The power capacitor space could be used for crew quarters
    The power capacitor space would be filled with weapons, or power generation, or shields, or thrust, or passives.

Balancing crew quarters off the idea of people removing a system from their existing ships to fill with quarters instead of balancing crew quarters based off a brand new ship being constructed.

I actually agree with the idea of making alpha weapons pull power while recharging instead of on firing, but your reasoning for it is absolutely fucked, and we still need power capacity in a system like that. You need to have power tanks to draw from when power capacity is being overdrawn from, and it makes EMP harder to balance, because otherwise there is no buffer between overcoming recharge and disabling the ship.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Small ships and turrets can already use high damage weapons. Alpha weapons take very little space, and the default 50k power allows you to make cannon or beam turrets capable of punching through 1.25 to 2.5 layers of advanced armor with just 35 (counting computers) blocks.

The power capacitor space would be filled with weapons, or power generation, or shields, or thrust, or passives.

Balancing crew quarters off the idea of people removing a system from their existing ships to fill with quarters instead of balancing crew quarters based off a brand new ship being constructed.

I actually agree with the idea of making alpha weapons pull power while recharging instead of on firing, but your reasoning for it is absolutely fucked, and we still need power capacity in a system like that. You need to have power tanks to draw from when power capacity is being overdrawn from, and it makes EMP harder to balance, because otherwise there is no buffer between overcoming recharge and disabling the ship.
    well yeah there are lots of problems with implementing this sort of system. You could make power capacity directly proportional to recharge. Or leave power capacity in as a mechanic. I just like the idea of weapons drawing power as they recharge.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Power cap requirements are a balancing factor keeping missile dmg in check, in addition to anti-missile
    current patch issues not-withstanding, they're still pretty damn good despite this. As far as power costs go dps costs the same e/s from missiles as it does from cannons, on the face of it, removing capacity req's & simply making alpha weapons have power cost over their recharge time would be a significant buff for them (in either case the same e/s is being drained, one with far less block count for the same effect)

Not saying "hurr no baedd iddea" just that there would be a bit more to rebalance than emp, there's certainly some bones I'd like to pick with capacitors (and those ultra-capacitors, cores)