Read by Council Remove low credit cap

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Of course, changes to other game mechanics could also help with this issue. And I want to reiterate that the block-currency suggestion is meant to fit in with the Dev's goal of infinite scalability and no hard-coded limits.
    The thing is the limit wasn't made by the devs of the game but those who made computers work a long time ago.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The thing is the limit wasn't made by the devs of the game but those who made computers work a long time ago.
    false...64bit integers exist, and so do 128bit integers, 256, and so on and so forth. They may not be the fastest to calculate with, but that doesn't matter here, as storage is the main function.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    false...64bit integers exist, and so do 128bit integers, 256, and so on and so forth. They may not be the fastest to calculate with, but that doesn't matter here, as storage is the main function.
    Wasn't saying it was the only limit or that it couldn't be changed if the right things existed at a given amount of bits. >_>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    A shop itself only contains so many credits, even if we were to ignore its stock limit of 50K of each item. A single shop can't give you enough credits in a short enough amount of time.
    Edit: The trade guild should restock it regularly, yes, but how much and how often?
    I was talking about a player-owned shop. If a faction has a single shop served and stocked by 10 members and used by other players in the server, the stock of credits in that shop can grow quickly. It's an unlikely event, but a possibility (near spawn to accommodate newb traffic).

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I was talking about a player-owned shop. If a faction has a single shop served and stocked by 10 members and used by other players in the server, the stock of credits in that shop can grow quickly. It's an unlikely event, but a possibility (near spawn to accommodate newb traffic).
    I had excluded player shops from the equation, because I was trying to construct a worst-case scenario, which would mean ALL players on a server are working towards getting the oldest player to reach the cap. Player shops would have no benefit in that environment.
    Yes, my calculations were for a single player, but multiple players working together can be simulated by just dividing the result accordingly.
    Custom configs were excluded because their effects are easily inferable, once the result for default configs is known. (e.g. multiplying item prices by 10 will make players hit the cap 10 times faster, same for mining multipliers)
    Voting boni are a constant non-changing source of income, and thus the graph can easily be adjusted for them.

Unless you can point out a believable set of variables for the guess, that would make the estimated time drop rather low, I'd say the most foolproof way to determine whether or not a 64bit integer is enough would be an experiment similar to this:
    1. Empty-server/single-player, default configs, brand new universe
    2. Note time of the beginning of the experiment
    3. Reach the current limit as quickly as possible as a single player[not total credit+item value, only the credit counter counts]
    4. Note time
    5. Clear credits[set counter to 0]
    6. Repeat from step 3 on, until the day is over, or the tester is too bored to continue. (however, at least 10 loops should be done)
    7. Repeat from step 1 on, once the tester recovered, or use a similar enough other tester
    8. Plot a chart, and determine growth behaviour and growth rate

Reaction score
    Even if it is closer to a year or two, it is still a limit that can be hit by the hard-core trade-oriented guilds (such as the OP).
    if 7.5 years is correct for how long it would take to hit the limit solo, this would be 65700 hrs... the most I have ever seen a player play any game is 10000 hrs...this limit would be completely unrealistic to hit, but if it is a problem, just store a 128-bit integer, which would allow 340 undecillion(36 zeros) max credits

Reaction score
    64 Bit integers?
    What about users with 32bit java? Would'nt the 64bit problem cause glitches/crashes with 32bit clients?