Remove/hide cores for decoration (i.e Doors, Retractables, etc).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here are the reasons why I think the current state is detrimental:

- You have to plan ahead where to put the core, making building a chore. And when building something as small as a door, it really does take up space.
    - It clogs the screen (yes, you can disable docked entities on filters, but it really shouldn't be necessary to filter every time you are inside a decent ship).
    - It's visually, simply put, ugly.

I talked a bit in the chat and got some input, with two possible conclusions, which are really just a matter of game design (although I do prefer the first solution :D ):

Solution 1: Let us create decorative entities where systems have no effect and spawn with no core (an option similar to creating a turret directly on a rail).
    Solution 2: Make a decorative core that can be connected to other blocks to change its texture. Or give the normal core somehow the option to change its texture in this way.

Also would like to add that someone has already found a way to remove cores from entities, so it shouldn't be too hard to implement, no?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Very neat idea, very useful. Instead of anything without a weapons computer, it could be something that has no systems of any sort. If there's nothing to control, you don't need a control system (Assuming that the ship core is meant to reflect a vessel's central nervous system or something,

Reactions: WalkerGain

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    What if there was an advanced build mode button just like Create Docked, but for Create Decorative Docked. This would create a docker without a core, weapons cannot be placed on this dock, and it has a max mass (possibly relative to the mothership's size).

Reaction score
    I agree with kiddan on the way to create it. That'd work nicely, I'd think. As long as you can store specially labelled decorative rail items (Like standardized rail doors) separately, somehow, and then place them as a decorative item.
    No mass limits---what if you want a large hangar door? Or, heck, maybe even a large, decorative, canted wing?

No block limits, either. The restricting factor could be that nothing on the decorative hull will function. You can place shield blocks, but it will never have any shields. No power will be generated, even if you have power blocks. This will allow for people to use things like computers and modules for decoration, while still eliminating the ability to use this to cheat a system somehow. Allow the use of logic, however.

Another note: Perhaps make these blocks permanently docked. As in, they will not undock if overheated, their rail dockers cannot be destroyed, and the rail they rest on cannot be destroyed. This would probably help from the lag that results from docked doors being undocked, and similar problems. However, as a penalty, if overheated, the entity freezes in place (Cannot move, logic stops functioning as if it had been shot apart) and becomes intangible. This should help prevent docked-armor schemes from happening.

Reactions: Lukwan
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Very neat idea, very useful. Instead of anything without a weapons computer, it could be something that has no systems of any sort.
    Before putting computers I initially had the same thought as you, but then I realised some people like to use certain systems as decoration :P

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Hinge-blocks with the 'C' block acting as the anchor and the other (V-block) as a swing-able (and controllable) armature.

Also, Madman nailed how to deal with battle-damage to avoid collision mayhem.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Totally agree with this. It would make doors and things easier to build and use.