Reliance-class battleship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen

I present to you the Reliance Mark III-class battleship, featuring 0.16-era shield systems and some enhancements to the interior, including labeled decks and a more fleshed-out CIC and bridge. Unfortunately, the headline picture is significantly less pretty now.

New CIC:

Stats as of 0.16:
    LWH: 147m * 41m * 60m
    Mass: 13071.1 (incl. turrets, empty mass 11609.8)
    Power: 4,911,665 (912,283/sec)
    Thrust: 4,929.1 (power consumption 3,193)
    Shields: 1,129,826 (20,476/sec)

The rebalancing made her a lot slower and a lot more poorly shielded, but her auxiliary defensive systems are now both at the 50% effectiveness cap, and can be run permanently. She still requires that docking bounds checking be off; I don't think I'll be removing that constraint yet, although I might eventually, especially as I'm back-burnering the good old Reliance in favor of a new project.

Blueprint — includes turrets, but no shuttles or small craft.

The prettiest picture I've ever taken of it:

I present to you the updated Reliance-class battleship, featuring 0.15-era weapons systems and superfiring turrets (for improved fire arc coverage on forward-hemisphere targets).

The blueprints zip file contains:
    * Reliance Mark II-class battleship: a fully-equipped copy, with standard turrets, and one each Euterpean-class shuttle and Joker-class light fighter (hat-tip to Tshara, whose Wild Space Expansion is a much better piece of shipbuilding than my stuff)
    * Reliance Mark II-class stripped battleship: the Reliance hull, including internal weapons, without turrets or small craft
    * Reliance Twin Cannon Main Turret: sized for the largest turret rings, 1600 dps per turret
    * Reliance Single Cannon Secondary Turret: sized for the second-largest turret rings, 900 dps per turret
    * Reliance Beam PD Turret: sized for the mini-turret rings, suitable for point defense

Beam turrets seem not to work right now, so the point defense turrets are nonfunctional. Additionally, the damage beam stats and secondary modules seem not to work quite right; the beam+beam main guns and the beam+cannon PD turrets have the same tick interval, and the damage listed in the Weapons page doesn't bear a lot of resemblance to the actual damage.

Additional pictures
    Superfiring turret arrangement
    Blueprints zip file

LWH: 147m * 41m * 60m
    Mass: 12294.3
    Power: 4,911,665 (805,455/sec)
    Thrust: 7938.3
    Shields: 12,018,600 (133,540/sec)

Main guns (Total, two beams)
    Blocks: 8934 beam 4662 beam 3895 pierce
    20,000-40,000 damage observed per tick, piercing five to ten blocks

5 heavy twin cannon turrets
    Blocks: 218 cannon 128 pulse 88 pierce
    16586 damage per turret / 10 sec reload
    Total: 8290 dps

3 heavy single cannon secondary turrets
    Blocks: 103 cannon 86 pulse 60 pierce
    12090 damage / 13s reload
    Total: 2790 dps

18 point-defense turrets
    Blocks: 26 beam 24 cannon
    100 damage observed per tick

Additional pictures
    Blueprint

69,720,000 credits
    147m/56m/41m
    Mass: 11,224
    Thrust: 7945
    Energy: 497,260, (515,900/s)
    Shields: 669,240 (17281/s)

Armament:
    2 Armageddon SD-BB missile batteries
    640.8 damage, 7.8s reload
    2,435 range
    66 speed
    41.4 radius

5 heavy twin AMC turrets (3800 DPS each)
    207.1 damage per cannon
    0.109s reload
    1267 range

3 heavy single AMC turrets (3000 DPS each)
    380.3 damage
    871 range
    0.127s reload

18 light single AMC point-defense turrets (813 DPS each)
    178.9 damage
    572 range
    0.220s reload

Small craft:
    2 Euterpean-class light shuttles
    2 Joker-class light fighters (h/t Tshara)

Docking bounding boxes are off right now because of hangar bay design. I'll fix it once it's easier to dock ships with off-center cores. I'll also post a blueprint file once I've finished the internal arrangements. (About 3/4 done right now.)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: iPwn_
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Lovely cinematography, although I'd love to see some more angles of it ;)
    Also that's a pretty tough cookie for it's size, nice efficiency!

Reactions: Fishbreath
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'll get some more angles and some internal shots when I get home today, and update the stats to exact numbers at the same time.

Regarding efficiency, I'm happy with how it turned out. She's big for her size, owing to her general squareness—lots of internal volume against raw dimensions. She's even got space for RP rooms, which is what I'm finishing off. (She also has a good bit of spare room on the engineering decks, but I'm waiting for FTL before I decide how I want to fill those.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've updated the first post with detailed stats and a link to more pictures.

Once the weapons update is released, I intend on turning the point defense turrets into flak cannons, and the main turrets into heavy artillery. Gun- and explosive-based things strike me as more appropriate for this style of ship.

Edit: I'd also like to try my hand at a carrier variant sometime—the forward section could easily be stripped of weaponry to fit a big docking bay.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I like this! it must be very space efficient with such a.... plump... design. It ooks almost like it is inspired by very very early battleships but in space.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty Gold
    Sorry, at first glance I though it looked like a floating shoe box :3

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh, I freely admit it's, uh, utilitarian-looking, and that's a thing you have to be into to appreciate. :P As with the other two biggish ships I've built, I came up with the rough shape first, then built the internal spaces, then made a hull around them. Traditionally pretty ships tend to go the other way around.

Orphaniel, that was one of my design cues—the raised turret rings and the wing-mounted small turrets are both early battleship features I tried to ape. (The next battleship I do, I think I'm going to do proper superfiring turrets.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The first post has been updated with a link to the blueprint file, and the imgur album now includes some pictures of the interior.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm currently engaged in updating this ship for 0.15, swapping out the main missile battery for piercing, long-range beams, adding shield and hull hardening systems, and updating the turrets (the mains now use cannon+beam artillery, and the point defense turrets are rapid-fire beam+cannon guns).

Reactions: Saxopi
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've updated the first post with the Mark II version.

Next on the list: carrier variant.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Step one: removing the forward-firing beam arrays and the forward cannons to free up space for the hangar bays.

Step two: Widen the lower forward section, making it much uglier but roomy enough for the lanchway and bomber bays. Fill in the top turret rings with shield and power generators.

Step three: flesh out the internals. Three levels of docking bays hold eight bombers, ten fighters, and eight fighters and the maintenance section, from top to bottom. Since it's an extremely tight fit for the torpedo bombers, put markings on the deck and cameras on the undersides of the fighters and bombers both. Line up in the center of the launchway or taxiways on the upper docking levels, then use the underside camera to follow the deck markings to the parking space.

Untagged spoiler: it gets more boxy.

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've abandoned the Redoubtable-class carrier project; it's rather too cramped internally to be very effective. I'll be starting on a new carrier project soon, however.