Regarding the Leviathan known as "Space Whale"

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    With the word that Fauna is on the development block I wanted to chime in my opinion of "Star Leviathans" also known as "Space Whales".

* Star Leviathans, known for their great size, and for being perfectly suited for zero-g environments are most commonly reported to be found in rich asteroid belts. These creatures rely on the Ores and Crystals found in Asteroids to sustain themselves nutritionally. As a result Asteroid Miners have given reports that their mining craft have been attacked by Leviathans (One unlucky soul's last transmission was that the leviathan was DEVOURING his ship with him inside it. Responders who made it to the ships finally location found only a lone core floating through the void. Nothing was left of the ship, its systems, or its doomed pilot).

* Star Leviathans are known to be fiercely territorial and independent. Once birthed, the infant is summarily abandoned by it's mother, as it begins life with the means and instincts to survive as these creatures do. They are drawn to metals, and will devour entire asteroids to feed themselves. They will attack other spacewhales, in addition to ships if they feel their food source is threatened.

* Space Whale is somewhat of a misnomer. The Leviathan's size and general shape can be compared to a Terran sea whale, but that (hopefully) is where the comparison ends.

These are just some general ideas that I have had, and I wanted to share them in case anyone thought that they were any good. Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    - Captn we are missing another core... and two of the engineer team went missing...
    - On a carrier went missing? get some marines down there assumingly there is just a whale problem between decks 84 and 106...

Or i love the idea :)

Reactions: Jacemachine
    Reaction score
    There should totally be tiers of these and other types of space creatures. I'd love to see a space kraken as well

Reaction score
    Ok after typing this, I realize I might be going a bit overboard... but here goes:

I like your idea. Would be great to hunt them down for high risk, high reward gameplay.

I was thinking about a creature based on a Star Trek Episode:
    They didn't name the creature (except it's baby, "Junior"), but something akin to "Star Leech" or "Space Barnacle" might be appropriate.
    Description: A large, oyster shaped creature native to space that feeds on energy.
    Aggro - based on power output - large power output attracts larger creatures at great ranges. cloak and jamming are ineffective Battles between ships can therefore attract it over distances.
    beam weapons feed x-power into it.
    battle behavior - opens with beams with 100% stop effect to close distance, then switches to a constant EMP. Tries to remain as close as possible to the ship.
    Features - Comes in three sizes, increasing to size once a certain amount of power is drained. Once it reaches maximum size and drains another set amount of power, it reproduces and either a) becomes smaller or b) dies (this should be feasible only the largest ships and stations). If power is drained from the creature to below a threshold, it goes on a dormancy timer. Once 'killed', it explodes.
    Spawn - small groups of 1-3. If the target ship shuts down power generation (logic should be allowed to enable/disable) or is completely drained, the Leech attempts for x seconds, then loses interest in favor of the nearest power source.
    Drops - It's body is salvageable for materials for an advanced capacitor block that is 10% more efficient than current capacitors

Make it scale with three different sizes with corresponding interest in power (larger creatures are uninterested in smaller ships, but could seek out large ships/stations)

The creature would be mostly a nuisance, as it does not deal damage except in death throes. Removing the creatures that have closed too close to be hit with weapons would require specialized ships using pull/push effect weapons to safely discard. The nuisance becomes deadly when they involve themselves in a battle between ships, becoming potential game changers. Strategies could involve traps utilizing rail doors and power cores could enable you to capture the creatures and drag them to an enemy for release (or bait them to a larger ship). Farmers might create power farms and then feed the creatures to maximum size before killing them and harvesting them for bio material for more efficient capacitors, or sale.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MeepMoop

Croquelune

An Imaginary Number's officer
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That remind me that :

Mining in space can be dangerous. :p

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    The idea is cool, but I think it would be more suited as a mod than actually in-game content. Reason being that in my particular universe there are no such space whales.

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why does it have to be evil? There were star whales in Dr. Who.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    The idea is cool, but I think it would be more suited as a mod than actually in-game content. Reason being that in my particular universe there are no such space whales.
    Creatures ARE being added to StarMade regardless of anyone's personal continuity however. Schema can be quoted in his support of "Space whales" as well.

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Only if they have jump drives.

Or maybe if it was really big...