Reflexion to favorise balance tweaks to favor more diverse ships and gameplay

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Seeing as a \'level cap\' grade ship can be taken down by a smart pilot of a \'lv 20\' ship in less than five minutes.. I hardly see Starmade needing to force roles to build ships as to see some use. Show me a ship, ANY ship and I will tell you how to make a ship to kill it with a good pilot a quarter or less of the size of the original min 100Mass.

With the freedom of design Star-Made offers, a single ship would make the options you gave redundant and more importantly, boring in comparison. Role do not define fun, they often limit it. So why impose limits? Enforcing roles and builds only leads to the \'one true build\' lame fest it is in every MMO which uses similar classing systems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Then what logic is there for bigger weapons to not only shoot farther, dealing more damage per shots which also travel faster, but also fire more of these incredibly more damaging shots per minutes? To name the mechanics of just one piece of equipment.

Because most of the friends I know see this only as enforcing a \"bigger is better\" philosophy and gameplay. This is the sort of aspects currently in the game I\'d like to see addressed. Because right now there seem to be so little drawbacks to \"building big\" alone, that there seem to be little point to do anything else when designing something.

I could be wrong, but that\'s how it often feels despite the fact that bigger mechanism, though able of greater output, is generally much more cumbersome and has a greater difficulties reaching the same efficiency than something smaller.

Sure the 800mm railroad gun the germans built laid devastation unlike what any french 75mm cannon was ever able, and at range that few could match. But the size of shells and energy required to propel them generally meant people were handling ammunition(or in energy weapons\' case, power load) so big that it\'s firing rate was, let\'s put it simply, horrendous.

The 75mm gun in comparison was much more compact, very easy to move around, and had a great firing thanks to the ease of loading and firing it. It\'s shells would never compare with even just a single shot of the Dora, but the general output they were able to lay directly in the trench warfare of WW1 had the germans rightfully fear them.

And people mentionning \"but we use energy weapons!\" should asks themselves why processors got smaller as their individual performance increased in electronics. A smaller weapon I feel shouldn\'t be able to build as big a charge than a bigger one, but it should be able to do so with more efficiency(higher firing rate).

This is just some real life example to show why I cannot understand why it is the opposite of such.

A mechanism that might give, albeit with the drawback of still dealing much less damage(and perhaps even increase the damage of larger guns to offset the drop in firing rate) would in my opinion increase the levels of choices possible. From the player deciding he\'s like to try out a \"ship around a gun\" type of frigate, to the one playing a nimble agile ships with multiple light weapons... or the capital ship who carry both to deal with a variety of situations.

And where did I say that an \"universal ship\" multipurpose design would not be a valid role, if one decide to try to spend the ressources on it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"Then what logic is there for bigger weapons to not only shoot farther, dealing more damage per shots which also travel faster, but also fire more of these incredibly more damaging shots per minutes?\" AMCs are not the cannons most like to refer to. They are akin to Miniguns. The larger the minigun, the higher the RoF becomes from more barrels, if you bulk out a minigun to hold higher rounds, it still spits them out just like before. Range, AMC range is always 2000m, as a 1 block AMC or a 1000 block AMC. In fact if you lower a AMC\'s ROF to increase the damage, you increase the damage per shot alot, but you lose DPS. It doesn\'t matter if the AMC\'s damage is 2500 a hit and fires once a second if the enemy hires at 500 damage a hit, ten times a second.

What you are missing is, what your friends are giving up. Mobility. They put on more mass, and put on more thrust to keep up that mass\'s acceleration. This seems completely unfair until you raise the speed limit. It is not a straight and easy road to make a large ship fly at 125, let alone turn and pivot and strafe like the smaller fighter can. With the shield change now, the shaller craft only needs a constant strike onto the larger, say in the form of a turret peppering it with light fire. The larger the shield, the longer it takes to recover. Use this to your advantage.

Also, you didn\'t say a multipurpose ship would not be a valid role. I did. I don\'t think a multipurpose ship will ever be as effient as a single purpose ship in that single purpose.

Reaction score
    Except because there is a speed cap, all the large ship has to do is fly straight and reach that cap, and wait for the fighter to either disengage (can no longer strafe around the ship, only match its speed and follow, or slowly get farther and farther away), or die to turrets that only need to fire at a basically stationary target (matched speed). Also there is nothing stopping the large ship from having a hanger of smaller / medium sized ships for fighting when alone. So if the smaller craft is giving you issues, park and hope into your other ship. They are then outnumbered and have to either fight you and avoid your turrets at the same time, leave, or die.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can say just add more thrusters, but this becomes unrealistic once maxing the speed in any realatively short time requires 300+% ratio of Thrust/Mass. Also this is beside the point. You are admitting a larger ship will in the end have to hilk up its nickers and run to the hills from the Smaller ship. You don\'t call that a win? As for parking and getting into a small ship to fight the small ship.. you are admitting the larger ship is useless for defeating the smaller ship and oyu need to get a Small ship to match him. If pilot of the larger ship loses in the dog fight he now loses not just his life, his smaller ship but ALSO his large ship which is now idle for and hour maybe? Where is the smaller enemy craft short changed?

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    If your ship is capable of hitting the server\'s top speed (They all should be able to) you can do what I call a delta vector, which is where you fly away from the enemy while turning towards them, negating both their speed and maneuverability. If a large ship does this to a smaller one, the smaller one is forced to run because there is no way it can stay out of the sights of the large ship\'s forward-mounted weapons.

I believe that\'s the maneuver he\'s speaking of. Not to mention the smaller craft is vastly outmatched against a big one in every respect except for turning speed.

Oh, and it\'s much better to release AI controlled drones than evac your carrier yourself.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    First of all, yes, the game is so alpha, that discussing game balance is an overkill. Let\'s make it in steps:

1. First of all, SM doesn\'t have servers stable and fluid enough to support enough people to provide any team-work, unless team connection extends beyond the game itself, and in most cases it\'s building stuff, mining stuff or attacking unguarded installations/pirate bases. In terms of PvP, it\'s 99% 1v1 fights, and bigger ships winning those, unless poorly designed.

2. By all things bigger ships get, they losing only turning speed. It\'s makes going for them an ultimate progression, and balance must be skewed in different angles in order to achieve a proper interaction pattern to ships of different sizes. The old shield system must be returned, but outweighted by a general amount of mass people have to invest into efficient movement, armor, shields and energy, so that any ship designer would still had to choose if they want their ship to tank damage, be mobile or pack a punch, and never recieve everything at once.

3. Theres basically no economy in game whatsoever. Like God, it exists, but nobody can see it in action. All resources are easy to get and coming from completely odd sources, while some blocks like wedges are surprisingly rare and cannot be reproduced. Asteroids are wonderfully scarce and hold mostly useless materials, planets are everywhere but horribly made and nobody want to mine them the natural way, ridiculously huge emply space stations and pirate bases are scattered around like trash, each holding enough money and materials to build a titan, and pirates themselves can ocassionaly drop item volume so expensive, that it would refrain you from mining forever. Even PvP doesn\'t worth the risk, only fun, when you\'ve spent only 2-3 hours to gain infinite individual capabilities. When you\'ve got those, would you stick to the small ships? Only by principle.

If short, building a small ship is for one player, building a destroyer is for a group, and building a dreadnaught is for a strong faction. If one player can do everything, he will do the most.

4. Bigger ships need a balance, that will make it weak until piloted by a crew, not a single person. In example, if bigger ships top speed will be limited, that will make them more vulnerable against swift bombers, which would require guy or two manning consoles, which would control side/rear cannons and turret arrays. Heavier armor and old-fashion shields would make in-combat repairs a viable service. This is highly restricted by server player limit, which usually how much it can hold without busting in flames, and game still throws people out in random ocassions, not even speaking about combat situations. Thus, in-game factions currently is a group of completely individual players, each having ship as big as they personally desire.

There are many, many small different issues, that makes game unbalanced in a big way. But it\'s all temporary. Schine needs to work on the core, before he can focus on the shell. Until core is polished, making shell better wouldn\'t really make much difference. I still think he\'s gonna try to look a bit on a balance like it was with shields, but unless game cannot support it\'s own weight there\'s not much sense stacking something above it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    While you take the next two minutes to turn around while you are RUNNING AWAY from me, I can increase distance a little from shifting to the right left up or down at awkward angles so you don\'t hit me. By the time you can get a clean hit while moving backwards, you will crash into a object, lagging you by quite a bit and cutting your speed to a standstill if not disconnecting you. Maybe my star systems are odd but you cannot fly very long in a straight line, there is always something in the way to crash into unless you are nearing a sun sector.. which has its own issues.

Great in theory though, just remember you are flying blind for nothing but a chance to shoot at me. AI fighters would actually give me something to do other than focus on the larger ship, then again that makes it a Large ship + Small ships vs Small ship, not Large ship vs Small ship. Also, you can have turrets disengage from firing at you if you sift to certain ranges.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    First, I would like to speak to the comparison of space ships to earth bound entities. When referring to an earth bound 2 dimensional battleship or carrier and comparing these 2 dimensional behemoths that are affected by gravity to a space based \"carrier craft\" or a \"large ship created for bombardment\" is kind of interesting. In space, there is no drag, no gravity, except when in proximity to a mass of some sort, there is no limit to what a ship of any size or shape should be able to do. When comparing epic earth bound battles such as the battle of midway or the sinking of the graf spree or whatever, aircraft on earth are working in 3 dimensions against large targets that are, I really wish to impress this upon folks, limited in speed and tactics by the lack of that 3rd dimension and by gravity and mass. So can we please quit talking about earth bound battles and tactics and move the discussion on to how ships would actually work in space.

A large ship is currently at a disadvantage in SM due to the lack of vectored thrust technology. I for one would not design and build a ship that is flying around in space with out the ability for it move in that space. Again there is no drag in space, mass does not matter, thrust only matters until you reach the speed at which you wish to move. Once that speed has been attained no more thrust is required, an object will just keep moving at that speed until it hits something or is affected by a gravity field, gravity creates drag, or has reverse thrust applied to it. So again can we move the discussion along to something more important than the mass of a ship, I for one would very much like to see schema implement vector thrusting tech. This would be much more realistic than the current \"the larger the mass\" the harder it is to turn. In space, a ship the size of a planet would be able to turn in as short a distance as a ship the size of a pea if enough force/thrust was applied.

Ok enough about that, small ships v big ships, the fantasy that a small ship would be able to disable or damage a big ship is all based on what technology is applied by the creator of the game. If there is enough space in a ship to create an unlimited power source and the ship has the tech to move that power efficiently to a shielding system that can be made invulnerable to exterior threats be they astroids, planets or other ships then why would a small ship or even a group of small ships or even a group of large ships be able to destroy that ship. The ship has unlimited power, as well as a way of using that power to prevent the ship from being damaged. Schema has designed a system in which power is generated and stored and used in a number of ways, the specifications he comes up with for how the systems work, whether those specs are logical or not, really doesn\'t matter its schema\'s game and he is going to make it the way he sees fit and we either choose to play the game or not.

All things being equal, 2 10000+ mass ships should be able to fire at each other all day long and never damage each other, just based on the size and ability to have large amounts of systems. I mean come on, thats 100k blocks. You can build a lot of systems with 100k blocks. So back to the OP\'s topic, where do we want to see the game go, I for one, want to see the game move away from PVP, PVP is what has ruined minecraft for anyone who wants to build anything and has made it a great game for the 13 year old crowd who wants to play (insert name of favorite minigame here) in minecraft and have the game be over in 30 minutes so they don\'t get bored.

I would like to see schema get a modding api out so he can concentrate on the base game and let the community of devs work on tweaking the mechanics of the game to suit the individual tastes of server owners. The strength and popularity of minecraft certainly did not come from the vanilla game, if all the that was available was vanilla minecraft, with no permissions or protections or cool mods or texture/resource packs, minecraft would have died off long ago.

Reaction score
    You can say just add more thrusters, but this becomes unrealistic once maxing the speed in any realatively short time requires 300+% ratio of Thrust/Mass.

I never said add more thrusters.. I said you both have the same max speed... if your large ship CAN\'T hit the max speed, then you fucked up when building it.

You are admitting a larger ship will in the end have to hilk up its nickers and run to the hills from the Smaller ship.

I was giving yet another way to counter the smaller ship. Its not running, its called tactics. Remove the only advantage a small ship has over you (manuverability)

You don\'t call that a win?

I would call that a win, they can\'t kill you, you can easily kill them.

As for parking and getting into a small ship to fight the small ship.. you are admitting the larger ship is useless for defeating the smaller ship and oyu need to get a Small ship to match him.

No I\'m not, I\'m saying if you can\'t build your large ship well enough to defend itself from a small ship, you can also get into a \"super OP\" small ship AND have turret fire from your large ship to help.

If pilot of the larger ship loses in the dog fight he now loses not just his life, his smaller ship but ALSO his large ship which is now idle for and hour maybe? Where is the smaller enemy craft short changed?

If you can\'t win a fight with having both turret fire from your large ship, and an equal \"small\" ship to fight them, you deserve to lose both.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I never said add more thrusters..

I never said you did,I said you could. Also no, you might not of \'fucked up\' the build. Seeing as it is not always possible to hit the speed cap of some servers even in a small vessel who\'s sporting 600% thrust to mass ratio... No, you won\'t always hit the cap.

Its not running, its called tactics.

Running away until you can find a favorable position is a tactic. It is still fleeing the current area.

I would call that a win, they can\'t kill you, you can easily kill them.

Running away from an engagement is not a win in the terms of defeating the opponent. If winning means you enemy can\'t kill you then a smaller ship wins. Their small size and agility allows them to turn and out manuver the larger ship and force it to slow down to alter course to avoid space objects. Also a slip doing manuvers is hardly what anyone would call an easy target so no, you can\'t kill them easily. Quickly? Yes, Easily no.

No I\'m not, I\'m saying if you can\'t build your large ship well enough to defend itself from a small ship, you can also get into a \"super OP\" small ship AND have turret fire from your large ship to help.

You do realize turrets are small ships right? So multiple small ships vs a small ship not large ship vs small ship.

If you can\'t win a fight with having both turret fire from your large ship, and an equal \"small\" ship to fight them, you deserve to lose both.

The turrets disengage if you kite the fight out to 1.2km, sometimes only 0.7km. So you quickly turn that into a dogfight. The person who would engage a larger ship with a smaller ship should be someone more compatent at dog fights than someone who is used to fighting in larger vessels as well. “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”, this saying also applies to smaller craft pilots. If you let them dictate the terms, you lose.

Reaction score
    I never said you did,I said you could. Also no, you might not of \'fucked up\' the build. Seeing as it is not always possible to hit the speed cap of some servers even in a small vessel who\'s sporting 600% thrust to mass ratio... No, you won\'t always hit the cap.

So now we are talking about custom servers vs vanilla... not exactly comparable. Upping the speed gives more of an advantage to ships that can speed up / slow down quickly.

Running away until you can find a favorable position is a tactic. It is still fleeing the current area.

Again, that is one tactic to win the fight, most area\'s are just open space anyway so not like it matters where you are fighting

Running away from an engagement is not a win in the terms of defeating the opponent. If winning means you enemy can\'t kill you then a smaller ship wins.

What? If winning means the enemy can\'t kill you.. then isn\'t it a draw since neither can kill eachother?

You do realize turrets are small ships right? So multiple small ships vs a small ship not large ship vs small ship.

Technically they are turrets, hence the setting between Ship and Turret in the AI settings. But you are expecting a large ship without turrets to win against agile fighters... no wonder you are having issues. A large ship has the ability to have many turrets for a reason, they are required for covering blind spots.

The turrets disengage if you kite the fight out to 1.2km, sometimes only 0.7km. So you quickly turn that into a dogfight. The person who would engage a larger ship with a smaller ship should be someone more compatent at dog fights than someone who is used to fighting in larger vessels as well. “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”, this saying also applies to smaller craft pilots. If you let them dictate the terms, you lose.

Yes turrets will disengage when they can no longer shoot, but how many small ships have turrets that reach 1.2km? It would need cannons with ~500 linked AMCs each to reach that, and that is no longer a small ship.

So now you are saying that skill does matter, and a highly skilled pilot should be able to win. I completely agree. If they can kill you while you have the same amount of power in your \"small\" ship as theirs, and also have the backup from your turrets on your main ship, they deserve the victory.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So now we are talking about custom servers vs vanilla... not exactly comparable. Upping the speed gives more of an advantage to ships that can speed up / slow down quickly.

Which is what I was focusing on. With speed being limited to 50, fighters have little chance from how easy it is to hit 50 within seconds on the most basic of engine set ups. You only use 200-500% engine ratios when the combat is going to be must faster than just 50. Also seeing as most servers alter the speed to at least 125 somtimes up to 500.. speed becomes an actual tactic, a tactic which most larger ships cannot use to their advantage.

Again, that is one tactic to win the fight, most area\'s are just open space anyway so not like it matters where you are fighting

It does. Cover, obsicals, other vessels, rogue drones. At least on the serv I play, space is cluttered.

Technically they are turrets, hence the setting between Ship and Turret in the AI settings.

Technically they are ships. They still use Ship Cores. If you dismount a turret from a vessel it can still move on its own. A turret is nothing more than a specialized ship. If you haven\'t been reading my posts, I have always said larger ships use turrets to combat smaller ships, though I have also said that is Large Ship + Small Ships to fight a Small Ship, not a lone Large ship vs a lone Small ship.

Yes turrets will disengage when they can no longer shoot, but how many small ships have turrets that reach 1.2km? It would need cannons with ~500 linked AMCs each to reach that, and that is no longer a small ship.

..I don\'t think you grasped what I was saying. The smaller ship can disengage from the battleship\'s turrets by moving to 600-1200m out as that is outside the turret\'s lock-on range. At this range it is a one on one dog fight, the turrets are removed from the picture. Bobby AI have a limited range of effectiveness if you did not know. Exceed that limit, they go inactive. As a side note, AMC with less then 50 can hit something a km out, range on a AMC is funky at best, I have yet to really notice a difference in range limits of AMCs.

Reaction score
    Technically they are ships. They still use Ship Cores. If you dismount a turret from a vessel it can still move on its own. A turret is nothing more than a specialized ship. If you haven\'t been reading my posts, I have always said larger ships use turrets to combat smaller ships, though I have also said that is Large Ship + Small Ships to fight a Small Ship, not a lone Large ship vs a lone Small ship.

Yes they have ship cores, yet they can not move on their own (need to be set as ship ai, have power, and thrusters). Considering you can have actual small ships with ship AI and regular docking, it is not Large + \"small\" vs \"small\", its large + turrets vs \"small\"

..I don\'t think you grasped what I was saying. The smaller ship can disengage from the battleship\'s turrets by moving to 600-1200m out as that is outside the turret\'s lock-on range. At this range it is a one on one dog fight, the turrets are removed from the picture. Bobby AI have a limited range of effectiveness if you did not know. Exceed that limit, they go inactive.

No I understand perfectly, which is why I mentioned the ranges of AMCs themselves. Unless your \"small\" ship has multiple arrays of 500 cannons, they aren\'t going to get near to reaching 1200m shots.

As a side note, AMC with less then 50 can hit something a km out, range on a AMC is funky at best, I have yet to really notice a difference in range limits of AMCs.

No they can\'t, the range works perfectly. I just tested this with two ships 338m appart, and cannons with a range of 330 could not hit the other ship.

20 linked (468.9 range) didn\'t work past 475m out (note using the core which was near the front of the ship but not the first block so thats why its slightly more)

So looks like range works perfectly to me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes they have ship cores, yet they can not move on their own (need to be set as ship ai, have power, and thrusters). Considering you can have actual small ships with ship AI and regular docking, it is not Large + \"small\" vs \"small\", its large + turrets vs \"small\"

On this topic I don\'t think we will agree on. I still count turrets as id of smaller ships akin to anchored ships. I have nothing to add that will sway someone else to this stance.

No I understand perfectly, which is why I mentioned the ranges of AMCs themselves.

You understand the turrets perfectly, not the idea I was trying to portray. The small ship had zero turrets. You increase the range to 600-1200m from the battle ship so that the battle ship\'s turrets disengage while you dog fight with the battleship\'s pilot.

No they can\'t, the range works perfectly. I just tested this

Hmm.. I have to kneel to this. I tested this just before I replied in my single player world and the shots do in fact not hit the larger once out of range.. yet oddly they do when I was sniping at someone who far exceeded my AMC\'s range while on a server.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The question is do we really want complete reflections of real life physics?

Personally, I feel they would drag away from the \"fun\". Some people might enjoy it, but the added complexity I fear would detract from the enjoyment of the game if people have to constantly worry about dealing with completely accurate newtonian physics.

That is why the greatest majority of \"space simulation\" or \"space shooters\" game out there in the genre\'s history ignored these laws, There are still many who recall the days of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and might come to Starmade hoping to reproduce some of this experience merged with minecraft like gameplay.

And I\'m not mentionning other staples of the sci-fi genres, like the RTS-based prize-winning Homeworld series. Which is a game which did use full-on Z axis movement as a first in RTS(and still remain one of the very few to do so)... and one which did do so with roles still heavily influenced by \"ground\" and \"naval\" tactics with capital-class ships obviously influenced by the imagery of realworld capital ship being slow pondering crafts armed with powerful weaponry or systems, and strikecrafts acting as the fighters/bombers or gunships of the universe.
    And still made it all work in a very valid gameplay experience that still took place in a completely 3D environment of X, Y and Z axis of movement.

And regarding big things being better on the lone argument of being able to have more, if you want to bring reality in the argument you have to realize that building bigger also is a greater complexity in it\'s own, and that additional ressources are spent not just to increase the size but to make sure the whole thing is able to merely hold itself together in the first place without collapsing on itself from decompression because of ill-thought design. This is the kind of card that can be played both ways.
    There\'s a reason subs are so compact if not claustrophobic... just because the type of structure they require to survives the crushing depths of the oceans forces them to be designed so.... and the rigors of space are such that subs, and the risks of hull breach that are common in both, are indeed what a lot of people -truly- familiar with space travel compare possible realistic fully spacebased crafts to.

However I doubt anyone would like a game where the smallest to the biggest ship risk complete and utter annihilation at the smallest of hull breach from decompression, and would be required to build in very strict designs fashions with structure meant to follow particular lines just to prevent their ships from collapsing on themselves.

A modding API would also be great... but one shouldn\'t forget just how much ressources coding one easily understandable by even experienced modders actually requires. It\'s not a magic switch that can be added in easily, and a \"proper\" coding environment able to support modding would require as much work if not more than many major game features.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    People who TRULY understand space and newtonian physics would prolly say, games can never be what the real thing is. Decompression in space is quite a bit different than implosion in a submarine. The closest thing we can come to in our real world would be what happens when a plane loses pressure such as the airliner that lost 10 feet of its fusilage when flying into Hawaii.

This is a game, the physics are designed and programmed by the creator/programmer. Do you want a big ship, based on your talking points you seem to not want big ships. Do you want small ships, I don\'t really get that you just want small ships either. What your post seems to be asking/proposing is that some how schema should figure out a way to make the game enable players to build the type of ship they want to build and actually try to move out of some kind of \"go big or go home\" or \"if you build a big ship its a waste of time\". Last time I was on my server, players were building the ships they wanted to build, it was not about whether this ship would survive against that ship or what ever. So Schema has already accomplished your desired outcome, you just seem to be limiting the conversation to combat. Well for me combat is not the main concern I have when I build a ship. I build a ship to look cool, then I figure out how to protect it.

As for utter annihilation due to small hull breaches, I am not sure where you get that. The ISS has had a number of small hull breaches, its still floating up there, no utter annihilation occured. But on to other things.

Schema is going to build the game as he sees fit, you can write obscure posts about how you wish things were more nerfed or buffed, he is going to do as he likes. I just really wish space games would move beyond the silly confines of our little planet and the lack of creativity that comes with those confines. And just for the fun of it, submarines are built the way they are to withstand the exact opposite physical enviroment than the enviroment for which a space ship would need to be built. Space ships would not collapse upon themselves. In order to collapse there would need to be gravity. Now if a ship is built poorly, it might float apart, but collapse, not really possible.

Have a great day.

Reaction score
    The ridiculously small default speed limit is here for a reason. Sector and chunk loading speeds are limited by hardware constraints. Unless some massive structural change happens , starmade ships will always fly like helicopters rather than real-life spacecraft.

The challenge is to implement fun game mechanics despite those constraints.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It might depend on the server actually.
    I might be wrong, but it seems there are many servers out there who uses customized setting, often in regard to maximum speeds allowed an mobility.

I don\'t know what other settings might be able to be modified for multiplayer servers in their config files, in fact.

It\'s kind of why I\'m hesitant to hear about comparison of servers which uses such customized settings when comparing ships, because sometimes these will not reflect the default game that you can play in an unmodified single player mode or server.