Reduceing the size of turrets with weapon emitter blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Why not have both?
    Agreed. It WOULD be nice to have some old stuff back. I'd love to see something in lieu of Nemesis or the like.

I loved Nemesis. That had everything right about Star Trek in it and nothing wrong.

Think I'll watch it again tonight...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    imba?

Imagine a ship has places a block 1000m in front of it's nose. The weapons have now 1km more range without this 1 block affecting turning speed at all.
    Additionally, this 1 block has a high evasion and is not automatically targeted like a ship-core.

It's going to introduce 1000-pages lists of balance issues and required changes.

That's a piece of cake. Make it a bannable offense? If you find a server that doesn't care, you probably didn't want to play on it anyway. That's a non issue. Stuff like that should be a decision for server mods.
    [doublepost=1471399903,1471399819][/doublepost]
    To me, because - especially in Starmade - development man-hours are very finite, and implementing a new "weapon array" thingy would probably take significantly more time than shrinking turrets by letting you put secondary systems in the turret base. Also, because honestly, beam emitter strips are kind of unique to Star Trek. I can't think of any other Sci-Fi that uses something similar, unless it's just because they couldn't make high enough quality CGI to show the bits of tech that the pew pew beams come out of.

Well, i can't argue against man hours, but Shine seems to be intent on building a complete game before release. Letting us play in alpha I think makes up for the time it will take to complete, so I don't think that's an issue either.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, I can't argue against man hours, but Schine seems to be intent on building a complete game before release. Letting us play in alpha, I think, makes up for the time it will take to complete, so I don't think that's an issue either.
    Yes, but it does not make up for the time that could have been used to bring other, possibly more important features to the players.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, but it does not make up for the time that could have been used to bring other, possibly more important features to the players.

Like what? That the last bridge to cross to make this both SW and Trek savvy.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That's a piece of cake. Make it a bannable offense? If you find a server that doesn't care, you probably didn't want to play on it anyway. That's a non issue. Stuff like that should be a decision for server mods.
    Good rules are rules that do not span 13700 pages.

In germany, we had arbout 340 laws when we had the Weimarer Republic, but now we have 13700.
    Back then it was possible to learn 1 law every day and know all the law in a year, but now we need 40 years for that.

And why do we have so many laws?
    • Because hacking a computer has it's own law rather than being attached to breaking into a house (even if the computer stands inside a house and the internet-door is protected with a firewall).
      • This would be more intuitive and does not require many extra laws.
    • Because we need 35% Bio in our Diesel-fuel and have to make the prime reason for burning rain-forests for more palm-oil farming areas in a foreign country.
      • BTW, "CDU/CSU, SPD und Grüne" promote that by eliminating the free market through fixing the demand which granted customers.
      • This pays very well for those which get their customers granted and can ask for any price in return.
    • And because we forbid to own "combat" knifes with >12cm fixed blades even if everyone can grab a kitchen knife for cutting bread.

And now we have the situation in Germany that will soon be on star-made servers.
    For us, 13700 laws are blind guesses of what we are allowed to do.
    But they aren't even laws, but regulation-orders because laws are bound to the base-laws which are paragraphs which describe what the population wants. Regulation-orders do not do that neccessarily.​
    Every time we do something we have not done before, we have to consult a few dozen hardly understandable regulation-orders.
    Which limits certain activities not only to peoples which know law, but just to those which know that they know law.
    For all others, these regulation-orders are some sort of religion - they believe what they see as an application of law.​
    BTW, regulation is "de: Ver'ordnung" can contains the syllables "Ver/Zer" which in "Zerstörung" means "destruction"
    – thus destruction of order, associated with it by the negative meaning of "Zer*"-words.
    This fits very well because every order is only an order if you know you have to follow that order. With 13700 orders, you can't follow every single one except when learning 1 order every day 40 years.

Thus some peoples follow that order and some don't (because they don't know) which is not very productive.​
    While in real life, 13700 laws are required to make the brain resign on the task to understand and start to believe,
    StarMade is only a fraction of our lifes and requires only a fraction of that number to make us believe into what we see legal rather than to think about the rules themselves.

For a newbie playing StarMade 1-3 Month, he might learn one rule a day = 30-90 rules.
    If you go above that 30-90 rules, they become very hard to follow!

Reaction score
    This got really off topic. All bc of one picture. Great! Let's see where it goes! By page 6 I hope we're back on track.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    His vision for the weapons in his universe is clear. Turrets are a thing of the past. J.J. Abrams wanted to "reimagine" Roddenberry's work. Making it "look good" is irrelevant. He foresaw a time without turrets, and the phaser array is his vision.
    I know the answer to this question already, but, do you have a source on that, Mr. "Both of You Keep Building Strawmen?"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I know the answer to this question already, but, do you have a source on that, Mr. "Both of You Keep Building Strawmen?"

Yeah, the entirety of TNG. If you can't go back and read what they said to see the arguments they were making were going off track, then don't bother posting again, because I won't engage you further.

Also, if you aren't reading all the way back to where the argument began, don't post either, because I won't repeat myself.

Reactions: NeonSturm