Realistic warp drives and such

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you ever add warp drives, which would be amazing, you should make them act like they would in real life. I may sound crazy saying that, but scientists have theories to how they would work and they are testing them. If you add warp drives, you would need to make it so they could ONLY work in a vacuum. That is where many think a warp drive would be functional. On a fun sidenote, you should make them use some sort of crystal, just to reference Star Trek :D Also, warp drives don't move the ship, they literally bend space. That being said, a warp drive would NOT have any acceleration. Also, if you were going 10x the speed of light, you would see a weird white blob-looking thing.

It wouldn't look like the stars were turning into white lines like they look in Star Wars. You would also need a huge amount of power or a large ring around your ship. (I am going off theory and math here, so don't judge me if scientists figure out this is not needed. I would imagine it is needed because you are moving space to you, which is not an easy task and probably requires tremendous amounts of energy because of all the mass you are moving. I believe the equation E = mc^2 would mean a lot to you in finding the amount of energy required to do this, but then again we are trying to move space and NOT the space ship. To go the speed of light, unless you had 0 mass, it would take an infinite amount of energy.

That leads us to our next question: does space have mass? The answer that pops into your mind at first is, "Yes, it has mass you idiot. Why would you ask that question?". I ask this question because what space holds isn't all mass. Most of the universe is made up of things that don't have mass. That leads us to another question: is space the absence of mass? I would think it is the absense of mass, but based on that theory, moving space would be pointless because you wouldn't be moving anything at all. If you wanted to move space, you would need to find the mass of the two points you are trying to get to. Between them and at them. You could then find the amount of energy required to move that area. Then again, what if space is on a 2-D plane? All you would need to do is bump the space between the two points off the plane and then back onto the plane, which would probably take more energy than the amount of energy emitted by all of the Universe combined, which means we wouldn't be able to move that area of space. If you get past these obstacles and if space is a 3-D plane, what happens to the space you are bending? You can't just push it down! If you push it down, all of the things you are pushing it into will either move or be destroyed. Both of those aren't very good in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe the best way to go faster than light is to become light. That sounds stupid at first, but why wouldn't it be possible? You could put all of the data of your body and the composition of it and the way the atoms are built into a photon, send it across space, take the data off, and rebuild the body/ship. This would only work if nobody look at the photon, so that's kinda risky.... You could send a lot of them though. The chances of 100 getting through are better then the chances of 1 getting through. Then again, this game is written in Java and you can just make the warp drives move you to a certain area of space. I am wanting you to use theory instead of Java teleportation though. I will add more theories to this post, but this is the idea(s) that popped into my head at first. Please comment about what you think!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Now the short and english version please so normal people can react aswell.

Reaction score
    Holy jesus fucking textwall. Separate your ideas a bit so we can read them, please.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Basically, either add warp drives that only work in a vacuum (space) or add the ability to turn your ship and its crew into photons, which is quite possible, and send them to a location to be re-assembled. The stuff in the first post was just about how these things would work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m sorry! Separating now! They are separated into paragraphs now. That should be easier to read.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    All you need is to add ship wide teleportation, and add some snazzy sound effects that make you feel like you are warping.

Add some kind of computer block, that you have to interact with, to input co-ordinates, and have it return a valid response (i.e. check that the space is empty before warping there in your 100,000 block ship).

I have no problem with graphical travel (like from star wars), which is referred to as light speed, not warping, which separates it from the idea of warping entirely, and doesnt make it \'incorrect warping\'.

Sso long as the thing is functional, that would be great.

Additionally, you should only be able to warp to previously explored areas of space, where you have subsequently placed some kind of marker to establish it as a waypoint. This would essentially remove the ability to warp to anywhere in the universe without having explored first (which would in turn ruin the game).

Reaction score
    Use a gate system and fold space. Just pull it together. One per star because you\'re going to need that star for power.

Reaction score
    Um, unless im mistaken there\'s only one star per starmade world. The game takes place in ONE system, so multiple stars wouldn\'t work. Plus, whats the poin of using stars if:

1: The sectors that are close actually hurt you

2: You won\'t be able to dictate where you wanna warp.

Reaction score
    You obviously haven\'t travelled enough. Go ahead. Find another system. Give it a try.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For the scientist, we can\'t go faster than light = Einstein theory.
    Good luck to transform a tons of matter in one photon :].

In space, this is the void, nothing else other ... nothing (That\'s why no friction).