Realistic Graphics Feedback

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That means the design should stay the same, but the style should be realistic.

If that is the intention...

I mainly care about: FPS, less distraction from animations, distinguishability, possibility - and recently also cross-server compatibility for the \"most basic\" features.

And noticing that there aren\'t even alphanumeric blocks in the vanilla... I guess this is not my exactly my favourite.

But any improvement is an improvement - and there certainly is some - with chooseable texture packs.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Schema is continuously optimising the graphics side of things. FPS should become less and less of a concern for players with modern computers using 256px textures.

http://starmadetextures.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/use.html

This mod created by Crusade and Titansmasher adds alphanumerical blocks. I supported the mod so it fits with the new textures. If your playing on a server with alphanumerical blocks and would like to replace those specific textures feel free to copy / paste from the t002.

But any improvement is an improvement - and there certainly is some - with chooseable texture packs.

Haha, i spent most of my time creating new textures to avoid using the old pixel ones. So I understand not everyone will want the same thing. The new texture pack selecter really is a great improvement. (it will also stop the headaches from players who kept installing them wrong :P)

Reaction score
    I really love the graphics in the new dev build, just that everything seems so dark...maybe it\'s just the shadows.

Reaction score
    Another thing with the new graphics, is with large surfaces.

Blocks like shields and power-blocks do not look good when in large surfaces, mostly because they all look so tiled, especially the shields. The thrusters do things amazingly, by a lot of blocks look weird. I do not know if this is intentional or not, but I\'m going to put it out there anyway.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I\'m not quite sure what you\'re getting at. A square / circular graphic in the center of a block will always tile repetitively. It is unavoidable.

Here is a few reasons why they are the way they are...

They are single modular units. They are animated. They need to look self contained in a 1x1x1 block space. Power gens are rarely built in large surface shapes due to the inefficiency of the regen rate. They are based of the original designs.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Recently, I thought about 4-step animations. Aren\'t they ugly?

Are transitions possible?

• fading-out + fading-in - with transparency and underlay
    • fading to other picture - with transparency

Or 1x4 or 2x2 tiles, a (semi-)random offset - or offset-movement - between 0..3 or 0..1/0..1 and a crop at offset+1.

• Random only once per frame for all blocks (at least in a grid) the same.
    • An option to x-mirrow odd-y and y-mirrow odd-x blocks.

With step animations, our brain thinks: \"something has changed; important; what is it?\".

With smooth animations, our brain thinks: \"something is changing; I know already the repeating pattern; I don\'t need to waste time thinking about it.\"