Reaction wheels

TF2

Reaction score
    I'm pretty sure some people already suggested this before, but whatever
    My suggestion is reaction wheels (whatever you wanna call it). They should help you rotate your ship.
    I'm getting tired of having to wait 2 minutes for my giant ship to turn around.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ever seen a Battleship or carrier turn on the spot in the real world?
    No, you havent
    You just cant turn around giant ships like that, not in water nor in space.
    Besides
    If the big ships didnt turn slow they would just be massive fighters
    and we dont want that

TF2

Reaction score
    No, you havent
    Besides
    and we dont want that
    Yeah, you can easily turn a battleship or a carrier with a few giant reaction wheels or thrusters

Reaction score
    yes, you would need thrusters for this, not wheels, just add a few engines on the side of the ship and then you ship should be able to turn, but this is starmade, in this universe you only need 1 engine to go all the ways, so there is no need to put engines on all directions like in SE

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Big ships turn slowly for balance reasons, not because they necessarily would in real life. If you had the ability to fly around in a capital ship as fast as you make it, small ships would lose their only edge against them. Then people start complaining about gigantism in Starmade and the process cycles again. Not a good thing, mind you.
    Read the following thread if you haven't already and you might get a more clear picture what the dev team has in mind when it comes to thrust mechanics.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/thrust-mechanics-explained.2696/

Reaction score
    No, you havent
    Besides
    and we dont want that
    Have you seen the Oasis of the Seas turn? (The worlds largest cruise ship) She has propellers on the side to help her navigate better. And she turns like a BEAST. Which is necessary due to her size, so it would be assumed that a similar system would be in use for large space ships. (The ISS uses rockets for this and to keep it in orbit)

Although they could put the game a bit out of balance, it might give an advantage against the ever-prevalent DOOM CUBES. Therefore, +1 agree.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't understand your argument about doom-cubes. Would these not be the first type of ships taking most profit out of it?

It doesn't matter which min-max ship we have, there will be another shape. Doom bananas ( :D ) or Doom-UFO discs...

Reaction score
    I don't understand your argument about doom-cubes. Would these not be the first type of ships taking most profit out of it?

It doesn't matter which min-max ship we have, there will be another shape. Doom bananas ( :D ) or Doom-UFO discs...
    OK, Doom Cubes (In case you don't know) Are not affected by the turning radius. So they are the best at turning, and very agile meaning that if a capital had that agility we could see a decline in 'Cubes. But you post made me think, if they added it to the Doom Cube, we could see EVEN DOMIER CUBES that are mega agile like some kind of Frankenstein's monster ship. You're right, people will always glitch the system :/

I once saw a ship made out of pure ice and ice planet stuff take out a fully armed capital, I kid you not. All I could think about is the iceberg that sunk the 'unsinkable' Titanic... god knows how he did it but damn it was awesome to watch...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe they used a (core, 3x3-dock->core) shield. Works surprisingly well, because overheating cores still block shots (while they do _not_ undock)
    Or Ice stuff was just the top hull layer of this ship (like 1/100 blocks in width/heigh/lengh made of ice)
    Or an increase in 10% ship xy led to a 21% increase in possible strength with also 10% more z: 33.1% increase in strength. Peoples tend to underestimate the cubic root.

I was thinking about suggesting rotation speed
    "inverse linear" to the exponent of "2^x == your ship size".
    Example with 100% -2% per 1 exponent:
    Axis-Size, rotation multiplier:
    1 = 1.00
    2 = 0.98
    4 = 0.96
    256 = 0.84; ^2 = 70.56​
    rotation = rotation * multiplier1 * multiplier2 (rotating around 1 axis is not rotation around the other two)

That means that a ship of size 20^3 vs a ship of size 10^3 would have the same turning difference ratio as ships of size 200^3 vs 100^3

And then you buff the ship based on missing, non-vital, ... blocks in their box (volume / mass) - no formula jet.​