Reaction Control System

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really hope this hasn't been posted before and that is makes sense.

When I played StarMade, I really looked forward to making massive ships, but I noticed that these massive ships turned slowly and became useless in combat without using turrets, my idea was making it possible to make engines on the sides of a ship, allowing it to turn faster.

Reaction score
    I believe that directional thrusters are already planned, but remember that a large ship should never be able to outmaneuver a ship smaller than itself, ever.

This thread dies with this post.

Reaction score
    actually it doesn\'t; directional thrusters make a lot of sense. You can cap the acceleration on a large ship, and make it harder to turn, but I believe directional thrusters actually needs to be added, just to rotate and aim faster.

Otherwise ships over 500 meters willb useless.

Reaction score
    sort of

directional thrusters shouldn\'t be used for turning, starmade already implements turning just fine. directional thrusters should be used for strafing.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I would like to point out that there is no reason why a ship cannot out maneuver another one smaller than itself as long as it has a sufficient thrust to mass ratio. On the other hand this is a game and therefore requires balance to be fun.

Reaction score
    I would really love to see real physics in the game which still aren´t too good for big ships.

It can be explained with one word: Momentum

To explain it: instead of turning at that super lame speed all of your thrusters accelerate your ship around its own axis,If you got a fast ship you can turn instant but you have to mention that your ship has mass,mass which turns very quickly in that moment.So instead of blowing your enemy to hell directly you will have to wait till the steering kicks in (needs to have a light delay)until your ship has centered.

Off course at some point the turning speed is so ridiculous that the momentum won´t even have a chance to stop you from aiming but hey... just add a max limit it would be still fairly realistic.

Reaction score
    would be to make manuvering thrusters provide less thrust than forward thrusters. Then every bit of mass would count even more, to the point where for a large ship to manuver like a fighter it would have to be mostly manuvering thrusters.