Recognized by Council Re-work EMP passive

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Simply put, it needs a bit of a rework.
    At full effciencey, it will reduce emp damage to your ship by 50%.
    Sounds allright so far.
    HOWEVER:

-Going by the numbers, 5% of your ship must be this defensive modual.
    -For a 1 milion block ship, thats 50,000 blocks of moduals required.
    -Energy drain is very intense and make you more vunrable to other types of weapons.
    -Energy would be better spent being used for offense.
    - u probably double the energy consumption of your ship while someone is shoot-draining it... to protect urself from a weapon that drains energy

I havnt done extensive testing, but from what Ive heard from other players its very underwhelming.
    How can this be reworked into a viable defensive modul:?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Simply put, it needs a bit of a rework.
    At full effciencey, it will reduce emp damage to your ship by 50%.
    Sounds allright so far.
    HOWEVER:

- u probably double the energy consumption of your ship while someone is shoot-draining it... to protect urself from a weapon that drains energy

I havnt done extensive testing, but from what Ive heard from other players its very underwhelming.
    How can this be reworked into a viable defensive modul:?
    This itself is already enough of an issue. If anything, EMP effect should be the single most power efficient defensive/ offensive effect in this game... otherwise "it defeats the point of it existing".

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I like the part where I drain my energy to protect my energy from being drained. o_O:confused::schema:

Reaction score
    I'm fine with protecting yourself from power drain effects, but we all know that what we really want is a Star Wars-like ion cannon capable of temporarily shorting out everything on our enemies' ships and stations! Just one, that's all I need!

Also, it needs to be less than the size of the enemy I want to take out.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Im still trying to
    I'm fine with protecting yourself from power drain effects, but we all know that what we really want is a Star Wars-like ion cannon capable of temporarily shorting out everything on our enemies' ships and stations! Just one, that's all I need!

Also, it needs to be less than the size of the enemy I want to take out.
    Ive made a resonably small turret (~150-300k blocks) that drains 27 million energy PER SECOND from an enemy ship and looks like a giant railgun XD Is that not enough to satisfy your hunger:? That being said it requires 10 mill e/s to run.

Its entirely possible to hold a ship dead in the water and then use effects like tractor beams to push, pull and freeze them XD Without energy a ship is helpless!
    Sadly EMP doesnt make lights flicker :/

Reaction score
    Neat. Now, if only that turret wasn't the size of most battleships/battlecruisers....

And larger than any of my completed vessels.

Reaction score
    Man, here I was thinking I'd imagined the truly colossal power-drain.
    Both dissapointed and very dissapointed that I wasn't imagining it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    EMP passive could disable blocks in a radius for X amount of seconds. Capacitors get drained, reactors stop reacting, weapons stop providing bonuses to the weapon group, etc.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    EMP passive definitely needs a buff. I think it should go up to 75% protection and cost way less energy.

EMP passive could disable blocks in a radius for X amount of seconds. Capacitors get drained, reactors stop reacting, weapons stop providing bonuses to the weapon group, etc.
    EMP passive is a defensive effect. This makes no sense.

This thread is about EMP passive. I suggest everyone stop clogging it with their wishlists about EMP offensive.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    That kinda overlaps with what the emp offensive does. After all if those blocks get no power they stop working.

Besides, it might hurt you and your teammates more than your enemies unless their is a way to disable friendly 'fire' from it.

hey, maybe EMP passive prevents you from going below 10% power capacity? From either your own uses or from EMP weapons, once you hit like 5-10% power capacity the passive automatically activates and you have X seconds of free power then it has a X*60 seconds of cooldown.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That's called pulse with an EMP secondary.

EMP passive is a bit pointless right now. Having it one cripples your ship nearly as much as getting hit by EMP would.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    EMP passive definitely needs a buff. I think it should go up to 75% protection and cost way less energy.

EMP passive is a defensive effect. This makes no sense.

This thread is about EMP passive. I suggest everyone stop clogging it with their wishlists about EMP offensive.
    The EMP passive is directly related to the EMP offensive. Plus they're both bad and useless, so why not fix both?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Perhaps EMP passive should be related to power gen in some way. Maybe have a ratio of power gen to emp passive blocks (eg. 100 blocks reactor to 100 blocks passive for 100% protection) that prevents power loss from EMP weapons. Then the only cost is space, lots of it. And that protects you EMP passive from draining your power to protect it. Or, use power capacitors in place of reactors in that equation.

Reactions: faiyde

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The EMP passive is directly related to the EMP offensive. Plus they're both bad and useless, so why not fix both?
    What are you talking about? EMP offensive is fantastic ever since it got a x2 strength buff. I can permanently immobilize a 35k mass ship with a 6k mass one. What's bad and useless about that?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What are you talking about? EMP offensive is fantastic ever since it got a x2 strength buff. I can permanently immobilize a 35k mass ship with a 6k mass one. What's bad and useless about that?
    I'm out of the buff loop, and the wiki is doing that whole outdated thing.

Well then I guess it's not too bad, never really seen it around much though.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm out of the buff loop, and the wiki is doing that whole outdated thing.

Well then I guess it's not too bad, never really seen it around much though.
    I think EMP is rare for three reasons- it requires a specialized ship, it needs a fleet to back it up, and everyone thinks it's bad, so no one bothers to try it.

Reaction score
    It doesn't need a fleet to back it up, but it does require significant dedication of a ship's resources in order to immobilize any sort of opposing vessel.

I'd really like to see some sort of power-gen cooldown based on EMP damage. As in, if you do that damage to your opponents' power grids, it's going to take them some time to reboot/repair the power system, allowing for a lingering effect of extreme EMP damage which will make smaller EMPs more useful.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think EMP is rare for three reasons- it requires a specialized ship, it needs a fleet to back it up, and everyone thinks it's bad, so no one bothers to try it.
    I can't help but think locking down a single ship isn't really worth it. Your one ship is focusing on one ship of theirs, and you really just don't gain anything. Assuming it's a fair battle, anyway.

Reaction score
    EMP needs to be more useful in turret form, on vessels other than extremely large dreadnaughts. Only very large vessels could host enough large EMP turrets to suppress enough large enemy vessels to be worthwhile.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    In reality EMP protection can be largely passive (no power usage). A Faraday cage (shielding) and good grounding/isolation can protect from the EM spectrum. The Defensive effect should focus more on space/mass and less on power consumption.

Or... have the system consume power unless absorbing EMP damage which can be converted to supply power to your capacitor.