Recognized Ranges of planet sizes

Reaction score
    Hello!

I would like to know if it is possible to add more variables for the size of the planets in the server proprietes.
    That variables would be:
    - Minimum Minimum Radius
    - Minimum Maximum Radius
    - Maximum Minimum Radius
    - Maximum Maximum Radius
    - Minimum Core Radius
    - Maximum Core Radius
    This would allow for more realistic-looking planets and allows having planets with more blocks than empty space occupied by the core.

Have a great day!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Currently setting planets to be r600 with 200 deviance (so a max of 800 and a minimum of 400) Is a good balance ONLY if you have a decent PC.

Planets this size can degrade performance by a huge margin and isn't really recommended with any less than 4gb ram allocated, and a beefy Graphics card.

Reaction score
    Currently setting planets to be r600 with 200 deviance (so a max of 800 and a minimum of 400) Is a good balance ONLY if you have a decent PC.

Planets this size can degrade performance by a huge margin and isn't really recommended with any less than 4gb ram allocated, and a beefy Graphics card.
    But isn't up to the servers to decide the size of the planets? Honestly, on my weak pc (since I switched to a gaming laptop) I think the loading of the blocks was the most laggy part. But once I had them loaded, the lag was reduced considerably (up to none). That's why I think these planet sizes should be configurable in the server config. If you have a weak pc, one way to play without lag is to play on servers with planets having tiny cores and overall smaller planets than the average. which is not that easy right now...

Reaction score
    I like the idea of increasing the planets - at least as an option in the server properties.

Like there is a warning if you come to close to a sun you could also get a warning message if the game "thinks" your pc is too weak to render a planet so that you - if you don´t want to have lags - can jump "over" them or fly around...

Reaction score
    I like the idea of increasing the planets - at least as an option in the server properties.

Like there is a warning if you come to close to a sun you could also get a warning message if the game "thinks" your pc is too weak to render a planet so that you - if you don´t want to have lags - can jump "over" them or fly around...
    That is a great idea! But it would require a bit of programming, and I don't think it's worth the time of the devs...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There are more options under server.cfg and settings.cfg that can reduce lag during planet generation, in exchange for longer planet load times.

Reaction score
    That is a great idea! But it would require a bit of programming, and I don't think it's worth the time of the devs...
    I´m not sure about the difficulty for programming this...
    There is only one small programm needed that starts calculating when you join a server and save the planets which are calculated as a lag risk in an array or list.
    I don´t know where the coordinates from the stars are saved but it already works that you get a warning if you are too near to one.

Reaction score
    I´m not sure about the difficulty for programming this...
    There is only one small programm needed that starts calculating when you join a server and save the planets which are calculated as a lag risk in an array or list.
    I don´t know where the coordinates from the stars are saved but it already works that you get a warning if you are too near to one.
    Which reminds me that we need the stars to be rendered from outside their sector (either that or I got a invisible star nearby, when flying on localhost...

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i would also like an option to change the thickness of planet plates. then you could make very large planets that dont take as much performance.

Reaction score
    Thickness? You mean setting the core size bigger or smaller?

Reaction score
    I think I know what he means but for me its hard to describe in english... Imagine two cubes, same material, same size but different weights.
    How is it possible? the second cube is not filled out, it has holes and tubes in it... Thats what he meant, I think... In german its "Dichte"

Edit: I´m wrong what he meant... :D

Reaction score
    no i mean how deep you can dig down in each segment
    well, by reducing the size of the planet core, there will be more space for the blocks, so the planet will be less hollow. Also, maybe having the HP of the cores somewhat dependent on their size would be great. i.e. a 3-blocks-diameter would be easier to be destroyed than a 5-blocks-diameter. And maybe have it like a polynomial function to find the HP of the planet. Maybe maxHP be x^3+(x^2)*rand(0,10)+rand(0,100) *x + rand(1,1000) and regenHP be (x^2)*rand(1,10)+x*rand(1,100)+rand(1000) with x being the diameter or the radius of the core...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425245791,1425245653][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think I know what he means but for me its hard to describe in english... Imagine two cubes, same material, same size but different weights.
    How is it possible? the second cube is not filled out, it has holes and tubes in it... Thats what he meant, I think... In german its "Dichte"

Edit: I´m wrong what he meant... :D
    if the second cube is empty inside (by that I mean the substance inside it is less affected by the gravity), than the term is "hollow".

Reaction score
    Out of curiosity, is there any way I could modify the size of the cores manually, since there is no option in the config files? The only option I found in the config is about how big the radius of the panet is. And I would like the tiny planets to have a tiny core. Because, somehow, some time before I posted this thread, when I tried to have dwarf planets, I found a planet or two without any cubes, right after I made the world (than I deleted the world and changed the config). The problem, overall, is that the percentage of actual space occupied by the core of the planet compared to the planet itself is too big.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The way planets are treated in the game engine is fundamentally flawed. Using the same behavior for a ship and for a planet will always always always limit the size of planets based on server performance rather than gameplay preference. Planets need to be re-coded so that parts of a planet may be loaded while other parts that are not in use or close to a player may remain unloaded to save server resources. I don't care what else you do to planets, but this is going to have to change to make them really perform well, especially when multiple planets are loaded.

Reactions: SapioiT
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5

We really need to have some smart optimized algorithm for planets. We have 3 coders now cmn let's finish these nasty planets.

If planets will be optimized then we will be able to add cool new things for planets. Currently planets laggs for too many people.

Reaction score
    We really need to have some smart optimized algorithm for planets. We have 3 coders now cmn let's finish these nasty planets.

If planets will be optimized then we will be able to add cool new things for planets. Currently planets laggs for too many people.
    We could even hold contests with planet sides to be part of the random generation system... we could have some default bases to choose from and have randomly on planet sides... Maybe even something like the blueprint system, but for planet sides (so we could repair them)...
    For my point of view, besides finding a way to have the planets not use so much resources (maybe have them ship entities but without the gravitational lagging; for some reason it looks like I have far less lag when near a ship the size of a planet or bigger, than near a planet as an entity, even if the ship in cause is using multiple docking ststem (add-on facilities and turrets), so the only thing I can think of to be causing the lag is the gravitational system... correct me if I am wrong, please!

Reaction score
    Hello!

I would like to know if it is possible to add more variables for the size of the planets in the server proprietes.
    That variables would be:
    - Minimum Minimum Radius
    - Minimum Maximum Radius
    - Maximum Minimum Radius
    - Maximum Maximum Radius
    - Minimum Core Radius
    - Maximum Core Radius
    This would allow for more realistic-looking planets and allows having planets with more blocks than empty space occupied by the core.

Have a great day!
    This is probably too complicated for the scope of this game but I'd like to see a space game spawn asteroids from chunks of planets that were either knocked off by impact our resulted from plate imbalance and put a counter on the server the increases the size of the asteroids until they become planets, and increase the size of the planets until the become stars and increase the mass of the stars until they become the heart of new galaxies. This method of planetary spawning would and a risk of crashing the server if there wasn't enough survival going on, motivating people to do more mining before the planets become ship roasting stars. See whether you can do any thing with this.