Random question that stumbled across my mind

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Was wondering if anyone out here might have an idea to make planets "Valuable", so that people don't just mine bare them outright. Something that would benefit players owning multiple so as to give people a reason to expand, hold and maybe fight over systems.

I know some people might suggest some form of ore generation, but I curious to even know if players would even take the time/effort transfer the minerals. I personally would like to see trade/supply lines and things become a reality. Would have to be a slow trickle of ores if such a thing was to become a thing.

There are also ideas like hunger systems, O2 and water that people will want to tie into planets no doubt, but I feel like something like this would be too limiting if only planets could provide.

I also had a thought about maybe making ships more dependent on storage, and regen expensive, making reasons for things like power generation stations, of which Geo-thermal could be a strong producer, though this seems more along the lines of modding.

I dunno, I had thought about making a suggestion, but realized I had no real idea of how such a thing would be accomplished, so I wondered if anyone else had an idea they might share or give their spin on.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't think planets as they are right now can be more valuable. They need to be bigger with more optimization, before people can really put a lot of thought into what they want on their planets. With that said, I'm interested in planets regenerating from the core out, regenerating ores and even entire plates, automatically.

1. Skyscraper-building helpers in the advanced build mode, for easy city-scapes. Maybe even entire city-helpers.
    2. Wheel blocks with which to create rolling vehicles. (hover is nice, but just doesn't seem as satisfying as rolling across the surface on a big 4x4, tank, or other land-crawler, especially if you can get fun "shocks and struts" driving physics into this game)
    3. Ship husks that not only exist in ship graveyards in space, but that maybe contain something special like a randomly-filled storage block, crash-landed onto a planet.
    4. Bring on the planet-based mobs! Even peaceful mobs will make planets more interesting.
    5. Bodies of water, and floating-ship game mechanics. (Maybe a player wants to sail the seven seas, instead of sailing the endless void)

Primary want: (points 6 through 12) Less Lag

Reactions: Marduk_Zoekoff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some ideas: planets core generates 1 million power and shares it to the plates
    all plates share the same power capacity

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    They need to be bigger with more optimization
    I want to see that too, but we've already got a couple updates that made them more optimized, yet they're still lag monsters if you make them bigger than default and still drop frames quickly at their default size.

Anyway, the first thing I think that would go a long way to making planets more valuable is the quest system and NPCs. Once you have quests and NPCs to talk to and combat, you can make up a myriad of different reasons to go to planets in relation to quests.

I also really want some kind of hidden treasure/cache or enemy bases to invade on foot. Having the atmosphere work as a shield or some kind of planetary shield to force you to go down to the planet instead of just doing orbital bombardments right off the bat would be cool too.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Anyway, the first thing I think that would go a long way to making planets more valuable is the quest system and NPCs. Once you have quests and NPCs to talk to and combat, you can make up a myriad of different reasons to go to planets in relation to quests.

I also really want some kind of hidden treasure/cache or enemy bases to invade on foot. Having the atmosphere work as a shield or some kind of planetary shield to force you to go down to the planet instead of just doing orbital bombardments right off the bat would be cool too.
    Yes, and in regards to making planets more valuable: make it so that planet owners get a reward (credits, faction points, yHoles, whatever) for "hosting" quests on their planet. That way, a faction can get residual income on planets from quests involving other players, even those outside that faction.

Maybe for hidden treasure, make a new "vault" type of storage block. If it gets destroyed or salvaged, instead of dumping the contents, the contents get destroyed with the vault block.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Maybe for hidden treasure, make a new "vault" type of storage block. If it gets destroyed or salvaged, instead of dumping the contents, the contents get destroyed with the vault block.
    I'd really like if storage containers that we have now would work like that. Or at least have a certain threshold of damage that they can take past their maximum HP before everything inside is vaporized. That way if you want to bust open a storage container with a hand weapon or low powered weapons, you can do that, but if you want to nuke ships, stations or outposts with storage you're out of luck for getting any loot the easy way.