Random Ideas Thread

Reaction score
    Post your random ideas relating to anything starmade here!
    I'll start.
    Beacons seem to work rather well as smoke screens. here's a design for core protection.

same spot without beacons:

same spot without beacons:

(click images for full size)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    give this man a medal... and a cookie if he wants one... preferably the medal... now i want food..

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, doesn't the beacon sprite effect tends to disappear randomly, even when the beacon is on ?
    I mean, I tried to use them to mark stuff in space, but sometimes they just won't work, even if you come really close to them.. Unless that was fixed in the last update ?

If you want to hide your core in a ship, I'd say just put it in a pitch black room with a simple maze made of tight asymetric corridors in it (put a light switch to turn lights off when you have guests), deep into an alcove in the walls or ceilling, and it will take people a while to find it even though the maze is simple.. :P
    To be fair, they can probably just turn their screen's gamma to the maximum and somewhat see things, or just mod the game.. But, people are pretty lazy by nature XD

And I guess my random idea would be to find a 899 station, trap some arachnid into a shielded dockable container, dock it to your ship, and when you get uninvited friends aboard, you just release the spiders! :D
    Though, cleaning up after might be a bit complicated XD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here is a fairly random idea. What if salvaging was a effect instead of a weapon system. It would remove all damage against living objects as the normal salvage beams do. This would alow salvage beams, salvage missiles, salvage guns and all of the like. I think it would be a great change. Also a salvage nuke would lag a lot less than 75 salvage beams.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about a missile, made out of a ship? Said ship could have some damage pulses, which are continuously activated by a logic clock. You would fire it with push pulse, not sure how one could toggle the damage pulse, wireless logic perhaps? I would do this since damage pulses completely bypass shields. :P

Reaction score
    Well, doesn't the beacon sprite effect tends to disappear randomly, even when the beacon is on ?
    I mean, I tried to use them to mark stuff in space, but sometimes they just won't work, even if you come really close to them.. Unless that was fixed in the last update ?
    it seems to me that they disappear once you get inside the actual white sprite. also note that it opens up a way to hide turrets, AND it's toggleable. plus the lasers will reveal the turrets.
    If you want to hide your core in a ship, I'd say just put it in a pitch black room with a simple maze made of tight asymetric corridors in it (put a light switch to turn lights off when you have guests), deep into an alcove in the walls or ceilling, and it will take people a while to find it even though the maze is simple.. :p
    that could work, but that's a thing where it would be hard to add things to it. I will confirm that simple black hulls in pitch black are a nightmare to navigate around.
    To be fair, they can probably just turn their screen's gamma to the maximum and somewhat see things, or just mod the game.. But, people are pretty lazy by nature XD
    that's the point. it takes some thinking to avoid it.you could also put them in the ceiling so your defence could se their feet and attack, or use them to black out other strategic points.
    And I guess my random idea would be to find a 899 station, trap some arachnid into a shielded dockable container, dock it to your ship, and when you get uninvited friends aboard, you just release the spiders! :D
    Though, cleaning up after might be a bit complicated XD
    that would be great as a last ditch weapon I would think. perhaps use them after you board a ship to further wreak havoc on the crew once your job is done?
    Here is a fairly random idea. What if salvaging was a effect instead of a weapon system. It would remove all damage against living objects as the normal salvage beams do. This would alow salvage beams, salvage missiles, salvage guns and all of the like. I think it would be a great change. Also a salvage nuke would lag a lot less than 75 salvage beams.
    give the man a medal.

Reaction score
    What would happen to regular salvage beams then? Great idea, but what would you do with the salvage stuff? I guess they could become the effect computer and modules, or it could be like the old turret system like it is now.

Edit:
    My random idea is using shield supply beams on docked entities to recharge your shields instead of shield rechargers, you only get 80% of the recharge, but it's better than the 0.08% combat regen.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Oooh, I want this to be about ingame things ideas, we already have a suggestion forum.

Liiiike, so if fights in smallish 2-6k mass ships already get in close with each-other, and big ships (150-200k and up) also are in your face brawlers, what if you were to put damage pulse on the tip of your ship as a logic activated secondary system for those small gunships and large dreadnoughts.

I personally want to see a pulse-cannon-EMP system, maybe in conjunction with something else. EMP defense is already horrible (you spend energy to lose slightly less energy when active) and it is so uncommon that almost nobody will have it. You wont need stop as you might be able to kill power to thrusters, and you can have those cannon-cannon-explosives go to town once you get past that 50m of advanced armor (or more).

Also, it has been confirmed that damage pulse can kill missiles right? I remember reading that someone had basically a bubble-shield around their frigate that would kill missile entities before they hit (beams don't work because they are basically disabled).
    What if you had an active chaff system, where the drones released had not only a cannon-cannon on them, but a damagepulse-cannon as well...
    They would actively pursue the missile, and if they didn't shoot it dead, they would "ram" it. Of course I don't believe that the AI is capable of hitting a missile tracking a different entity, but I do believe that they would get close enough for the radius of the damage pulse to do it's magic.

Also, want beams to shoot down missiles? Now they can!

(pls ignore the cannon-cannon behind the curtain beam-cannon)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449039063,1449036811][/DOUBLEPOST]well just tested, damage pulse shields are a no go :(:oops::(

Reactions: Blaza612

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Edit:
    My random idea is using shield supply beams on docked entities to recharge your shields instead of shield rechargers, you only get 80% of the recharge, but it's better than the 0.08% combat regen.
    Sorry but docked entities suffer from combat regen too, your shield supply reactor won't be any faster than normal combat regen. Still worth having a small one on pretty much every ship tho because reasons.

Edit: My random idea is having multiple pulse/cannon groups chained by a logic clock to create a constant damage area for use in melee weapons.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What would happen to regular salvage beams then? Great idea, but what would you do with the salvage stuff? I guess they could become the effect computer and modules, or it could be like the old turret system like it is now.
    Right, the salvage modules would no longer be the beam barrel, but would be the salvage effect modules, and the salvage computer would need to be slaved to a weapon system.

Reaction score
    You'd need a new texture too...

AtraUnam
    Really? I thought it was only for entities that were being attacked (and the 60 second cooldown). If you made them inside your ship like power supply beam setups you should only get the 80% supply beam penalty

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Wow this beacon this is amazing.

Thank you so much for this :D

Drop them 2 by 2 then slow to let them fly in-front of you and basically "make cover" for you against heat seekers. And they are really freaking bright. Is that a dumby or a drone? Also, can you spot the cannon cannon drones in the rack? The missile-cannon drone? No? Intended :P

However, transparent blocks really stick out. I wonder if I can use that to my advantage, or just spell something rude :P

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

One gif showing how well it works from angles, the other about distance. It does seem brighter on the screen than in the gif at a distance though.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    AtraUnam
    Really? I thought it was only for entities that were being attacked (and the 60 second cooldown). If you made them inside your ship like power supply beam setups you should only get the 80% supply beam penalty
    Nah it entite that are being attacked in addition to everything in the same docking chain, or at least it should be based on the finding of my own tests and every test I've ever heard about.