Random Graphic Bug - Glass Plex Door

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I'm not sure this is really the right area to post this, but here it goes :)

I like building ships with a view from inside the cockpit. Recently I noticed an odd issue with Glass Plex Doors because I made the door into my ship double as the window in front of my core.

After awhile I realized that the glass plex door blocks do not appear to show everything on the other side:

The specific items I noted were missiles as well as loot drops in general (as in when you destroy a storage container or a pirate and items are left for you to pickup). After I realized what was going on, I double verified by opening the glass plex-door and found that I could now see the aforementioned items - upon closing the door I was unable to see the same items that were currently right in front of my ship.

With all that said - I love the new updates in .18 -- great job Schema and team! I can't wait to see what the next update brings :)

- Mr. V

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's a known bug, and it has to do with the game not knowing what it needs to render. All glass in general behaves like that.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    It's a known bug, and it has to do with the game not knowing what it needs to render. All glass in general behaves like that.
    Thanks for the clarification FunnyBunny - that makes sense. I guess I've just never noticed that issue before.

Reaction score
    Not only all glass, everything that has transparency triggers that. Here's one of the entries on the tracker. Note that this bug has been delayed for a long time, and a fix cannot be expected anytime soon.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    Not only all glass, everything that has transparency triggers that. Here's one of the entries on the tracker. Note that this bug has been delayed for a long time, and a fix cannot be expected anytime soon.
    I'd also add that this same problem (textures with transparency not being shown when they're behind other textures with transparency) occurs in a lot of games. To fix it, I think you need to force the video card to render the furthermost texture first ("painter's algorithm"), which would be a major pain in the neck.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Does that apply to wormholes not being shown trough crystal as well?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It does; there's a whole list of visual effects not shown through transparent foreground objects. My question is, why does the graphics card have to be "forced" to draw the obvious first visible thing before whatever transparency is in front of it?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    It does; there's a whole list of visual effects not shown through transparent foreground objects. My question is, why does the graphics card have to be "forced" to draw the obvious first visible thing before whatever transparency is in front of it?
    Because of automatic builtin culling. If a vertex is to be rendered behind a vertex it isn't rendered, since it is "covered"