Ramming speed! Collision stuff.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    One way or another, they need to revamp collision, because at them moment it is really not playable, since touching a planet just causes it to eat your ship, no matter the size of your ship or how gently you land.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    maybe to calculate damage would be an equation like this?

( 1 - ( ap * am ) ) ( sp ( ag * m )

ap = ship armor percentage

am = block armor multiplier

sp = speed percentage according to server limit

m = mass

a ship of 500 mass would receive 11250 damage traveling at max server speed, impacting at an exact 90 degree angle with advanced armor blocks with a ship AP of 100%

damage goes to shields then to all connected armor blocks within a 15 block radius from the center of impact with the center recieving the worst damage. If impact is not made with armor blocks, damage would go to shields then all connected blocks without armor within a 20 block radius with damage spread evenly as possible. if all blocks break and there are still damage left, the damage will be spread along a 50 block radius with the center receiving the most damage.

the equation is men't to give an idea of how its going to work. please change it if you can. perfect it and add more.

BTW don't add this feature before collision lag is fixed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've "accidentally" rammed into a larger ship (2 k mass) with my Goblin fighter (less than 250 mass) at top speed of 89.5 m/s and sent it flying. Didn't even stop my ship completely, but dropped it to a little less than half speed.

That impact should've caused me to stop dead, and the larger ship could've just turned on the windshield wipers to scrape me off.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've "accidentally" rammed into a larger ship (2 k mass) with my Goblin fighter (less than 250 mass) at top speed of 89.5 m/s and sent it flying. Didn't even stop my ship completely, but dropped it to a little less than half speed.

That impact should've caused me to stop dead, and the larger ship could've just turned on the windshield wipers to scrape me off.
    yes we do need to fix that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    After my post the other day, I know one other thing that would be cool with this, mechs with swords!!!

yes we do need to fix that.
    Agreed, because somehow, even though I have a ship of 400,000+ mass, my 160 mass ship managed to move it slightly.o_O

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    landing a ship on a planet should not destroy the ship though. its very annoying when you accidentally land a titan on a planet. 2 fps for 10 minutes. :/

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    After my post the other day, I know one other thing that would be cool with this, mechs with swords!!!

Agreed, because somehow, even though I have a ship of 400,000+ mass, my 160 mass ship managed to move it slightly.o_O
    I think mechs would be pretty cool, could give them chainsaws or something with the new rail system.

I actually had an idea a while ago, I thought it would be cool to make a turret that launches ship cores. With collision damage it could be devastating. But I had all these ideas for chain-fed magazines and different sizes of turrets.

Someday I will make a grappling hook that burrows into enemy ships and then pulls them back to you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think mechs would be pretty cool, could give them chainsaws or something with the new rail system.

I actually had an idea a while ago, I thought it would be cool to make a turret that launches ship cores. With collision damage it could be devastating. But I had all these ideas for chain-fed magazines and different sizes of turrets.

Someday I will make a grappling hook that burrows into enemy ships and then pulls them back to you.
    plz that would be cool for a pirate design, hijacking ships physically instead of using a beam

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    plz that would be cool for a pirate design, hijacking ships physically instead of using a beam
    We'll just have to wait for a workaround of the current collision physics. Right now, if I where to make a grappling hook like that (which I probably could with the rail system) it would just phase through it when the hook started moving.

I'll just freeze myself until the update comes. Again.