Rails: Fantastic! What's missing? SOUNDS!

Reaction score
    Okay so I'll be totally honest, first and foremost:

Rails are amazing. Like, better than fabulous, better than I imagined, and I am ecstatic for what I can do with them! (I've made some seriously cool proof of concept transit systems already, so BAMF!)

But the fact remains that there is one missing component: Sounds!

Its amazing to have a train/elevator/trolley system, but without at least a buzz when moving, or a block to signal a 'ding' when arriving, it loses some of its luster.

So, I won't write a big long ridiculous post about why we need sounds - it speaks for itself! Hopefully this gets 'heard' (har har har..)!

Please upvote / comment / etc!

Let's make some noise!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    They already have lot of sounds in the game, but they are not just implemented yet. I think, they will implement them later on, when they are done with major features. So don´t worry sounds will come, I am sure.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, sounds would be a great thing. Yes, sounds in various forms have been requested before. Yes, it would add a lot to the game and make it more "legit" to new players. Yes, sounds are relatively low on the priority list. So, in the meantime, well have to make the sounds ourselves, like Michael Winslow.

Parental Advisory: The following clip "The Bleeps, The Sweeps, and The Creeps" contains one curse word.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Parental Advisory: The following clip "The Bleeps, The Sweeps, and The Creeps" contains one curse word.
    This is an internet forum, not a church. It's no big deal here.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431215204,1431215120][/DOUBLEPOST]
    They already have lot of sounds in the game, but they are not just implemented yet. I think, they will implement them later on, when they are done with major features. So don´t worry sounds will come, I am sure.
    Most of the sound files stored for the game are stock sound effects that would not sound very good in actual use. They've been there for a while. What will probably happen is that once sound effects are actually implemented, we will get much different sounds.

Reaction score
    Here's my little toying with rails, and its tons of fun but yeah, you can tell especially from the actually ride that its kinda anticlimactic, you just sit there until you get there.. lol

Don't get me wrong though, fun to use/build, no doubt ;)

Starmade Rails Preview - Elevator proof of concept:

Reactions: jayman38

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    there's no sooound in spaaace
    Aye, but inside my ship and station I'd like my elevator to sound like I'm in Metroid Prime. Metroid Prime elevators are very satisfying to use, and replicating them in starmade is a goal of mine. Maybe I won't get the sounds, but I'll definitely build the elevators! I might even figure out a way to make something that looks like a hologram with an area trigger to do the whole "Step into the hologram to activate the elevator" thing.

EDIT: I knew it! I'd made a suggestion thread for those hologram switches before. http://starmadedock.net/threads/hologram-area-trigger.5901/

Wait, we're talking about sounds. Right. Whatever sound is eventually used, it needs to sound right and in place for sliding doors, trams, elevators, etc. Rails will be used for a wide variety of things so care must be taken in selecting an appropriate sound.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Wait, we're talking about sounds. Right. Whatever sound is eventually used, it needs to sound right and in place for sliding doors, trams, elevators, etc. Rails will be used for a wide variety of things so care must be taken in selecting an appropriate sound.
    The nice thing about it being a sound is that we can hopefully just change it client-side to whatever sound we want. I for one want my elevators to sound like the ones from Metroid Fusion!

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The nice thing about it being a sound is that we can hopefully just change it client-side to whatever sound we want. I for one want my elevators to sound like the ones from Metroid Fusion!
    why can't i hit the like button more thAN ONCE

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Or different buttons at the same time.
    Users which voted:
    ResonKineting: 1100000
    NeonSturm: 1100000
    => 2x like, 2x agree :)

Reaction score
    I think the rails themselves shouldn't have sounds, but we could use soundblocks with server-present(allowing server-wide sounds available) and a client-side sounds folder(if named the same and in the same place relative to the StarMade folder, they'll play for both players) sound files. Maybe also a simple range/dissipation setting for each as well: short-ranged, range-independent sounds, whole-ship range-dependent sounds, etc. Multiple to change it, even.

TLDR:Sound-blocks with files would be cool.