Rails and Plexdoors

Reaction score
    Question:

Since rails can be used as doors, will plexdoors be forgotten eventually?

I see no purpose of plexdoors after the latest patch.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Plexdoors work in places where there is not room for rails. I doubt many people will use a 3 thick wall all around their ship to allow rail doors for things like bathrooms or bedrooms. They have their place still.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Plus they allow for some really cool things like large screens. There is no need to remove them if they still function :)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Everything using the new docking system doesn't get any defensive effects from the host ship and loses shielding from the ship when its shields go below 50%. So I'd rather say plex/blast doors are still the way to go if you don't like plastering your ship with intentional weak spots.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And there are still effects you can't get from rails as easily as you can plex.

For example, I'm building a big Trek style ship and the back has a hemispherical shuttlebay door. I want the door to split down the middle and then rotate open, but the rail system needed to do that and store the segments out of the way would be massive. Or I can simply make a cascading pulse through a series of activators assigned to slivers of the doors so that one button press makes pieces of door open in sequence to get pretty much the same effect in much less space.

Or in the station I'm building, I have a rail elevator up into my bio-dome area. Just comes straight up out of the ground, but if anyone is up there while the lift is at the bottom, I don't want a gaping hole in the floor. So I built a little gazebo over the hole and worked some logic into the rail to activate plex/glass doors that seal everything off whenever the lift isn't there.

Doors and Rails have different MO's, and are useful for different things.

Reaction score
    Fairly good arguments on keeping the plexdoors. Good to see!

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Now I would really love blast doors to only be toggleable by logic and then we'd have doors for every oncassion and space requirement.

Have lots of space and want it secure? -> epic rail door + logic
    Have not enough space and want it secure? -> blast door + logic
    Have not enough space and want it for decoration only? -> plex door + R

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Forget about them? Why not use them both?!

When closed you can see the plex doors covering the gaps that the rails need to operate.