Rail Speed Question

Reaction score
    I have a quick question but is it possible to increase the speed of rails? I'm trying to make a tram system and even using a rail speed module with a single activation module it's still slower than just running there myself, defeating the purpose of the tram. I haven't been able to find anything to suggest you can make it faster, but I figured I'd try my luck with asking before delving into alternatives.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, I can only think of possibilities that odds are you've checked, but I'll ask anyway;

is the activation module activated and slaved to the speed module?
    perhaps you need mass enhancers, as being over mass will slow down the movement of rails (but you should get a warning for this)

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Rails, on Rails, on Rails.
    More rails, more power.

Reaction score
    Well, I can only think of possibilities that odds are you've checked, but I'll ask anyway;

is the activation module activated and slaved to the speed module?
    perhaps you need mass enhancers, as being over mass will slow down the movement of rails (but you should get a warning for this)
    It's only two blocks so mass enhancers aren't needed and yeah, just a single activation module and it's on (wouldn't move otherwise lol).

It's noticeably faster than just the default speed, I think the numbers suppose to be 200% faster? But even then I can bloody outrun the thing.

Rails, on Rails, on Rails.
    More rails, more power.
    I'm actually testing that right now, kinda wish I could just crank up the rail speed though.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Rails on rails isn't a joke either, btw. Put a length of rail on another rail of the same length and you double your speed. Triple it with three equal length rails.

Reaction score
    Rails on rails isn't a joke either, btw. Put a length of rail on another rail of the same length and you double your speed. Triple it with three equal length rails.
    I know, I saw a gif of it in action while searching the topic. I just tested it myself and damn can it get going. It's hugely cumbersome though.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, honestly I use transporters for really long distances these days. I have rail cars and foot paths, but shortcuts are there for when what I want is half a kilometer away.

Reaction score
    Yeah, honestly I use transporters for really long distances these days. I have rail cars and foot paths, but shortcuts are there for when what I want is half a kilometer away.
    Teleporters are fairly knew and I'm never really up to date on things. Knowing how they work I'll probably end up doing the same thing, but I've had this tram idea planned for years in some form or another so I still wanna do it. It seems like rail-stacking will be the way I go about it.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, rails on rails is the current plan for turbo lifts on an in progress Enterprise D build that I'm assisting with. We'll see how it goes. I may end up using transporters.☺

Reaction score
    Yeah, rails on rails is the current plan for turbo lifts on an in progress Enterprise D build that I'm assisting with. We'll see how it goes. I may end up using transporters.☺
    One thing I realized while toying around is that you can't get different planes of movement. I had planned for my little turbolift to go sidways and even vertical to get you to where you needed to be, but with the stacked rails you can't do that, at least I can't see how. So the stacked rails, while bulky, are great for making fast trams along one axis, but they can't really move along multiple axis.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't know... are you able to dock to another rail while still use the previous? - You could switch to which axis you dock with logic.
    And transporters, do they drain the shield on the parent entity of what they are on? They are not always a good replacement for rails.

About the bulky stuff - I am also tired of it: 3m thick walls just to have a power-storage or array-block connection inside the wall. 4m if you need to cross lines.
    That makes most attempts to build realistic fail anyway.

Try to make everything twice as big as you want it and all is fine - except you have to look upwards to use logic/monitors. Maybe your a dwarf-alien? A little grey mars-man? :)

Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't know... are you able to dock to another rail while still use the previous? - You could switch to which axis you dock with logic.
    And transporters, do they drain the shield on the parent entity of what they are on? They are not always a good replacement for rails.

About the bulky stuff - I am also tired of it: 3m thick walls just to have a power-storage or array-block connection inside the wall. 4m if you need to cross lines.
    That makes most attempts to build realistic fail anyway.

Try to make everything twice as big as you want it and all is fine - except you have to look upwards to use logic/monitors. Maybe your a dwarf-alien? A little grey mars-man? :)
    I don't think you can re-dock with logic, but as for transporters, if they are within the same entity I don't think it does (haven't played with them yet though, got into other things while waiting for cargo update, but shall return with that)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is brilliant. I'm going to try tonight. Will let you guys know how it goes :)