rail guns

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I don't know if anyone thought about this before but I think it would be quite fun to have a gun that can literally shoot all the way through your enemy's ship but I think to balance things it should be a different way to build than other guns, like having to build it ether side of the computer and the shot should be fired out of the computer instead of the barrels(if you know what I mean).
    so that at the moment is my idea and I would really like to see what other people think about this

Reaction score
    The new weapons update is going to have beam weapons and a piercing mod. To make all your blasting threw ships dreams come true.

Reactions: jontyfreack
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I imagine a sniper cannon with piercing shot will fulfil all your railgun needs. I know that's what I am planning to use as railguns.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    If you've got enough real estate to dedicate to your railgun, once you get a good stack of D1000's going, they'll frame out a not so small and clean 'window' through just about anything. I don't know what is the practical 'maximum speed' that you can squeeze out of a missile system, (without having to bury it inside a planet) but from what I've tested so far, they're neck and neck with your average AMC round.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Already happening, despite not being specifically called railguns.

Besides, "Railguns" don't shoot through things. They fire a projectile that flies similarly to a bullet, which then transfers kinetic energy into a target. Depending on the exact qualities of the surface (and assuming this is happening in space, at space level velocities), this will probably be more likely to produce a big explosion on impact instead of going through it.