Read by Schine Rail docking bounding box, and "hard docking"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For those of us crazy enough to build an automated hanger bay for people to dock ships in, we need some more advanced controls to prevent ships from getting stuck:

• Rail docking control
      • This block would allow a station builder to specify a the dimensions of a ship that can dock to the rail (in terms of offset from the center, rails now allow for non-symmetric docking). This will ensure that docking ships will fit in the inner bay, and not get hung up when rotating
      • When logic is connected to this block, an active signal opens up docking, but a inactive signal blocks the ability for ships to dock. This allows automated bays to handle cases when they are full and not able to accept more ships
      • Pipe dream would be to also add faction permissions selection to this block, but hey, factions blocks don't even have that ability to set faction permissions per a member level yet.
    • Hard rail docking
      • This block, when attached to a rail, will alter the way normal rail undocking works. When a player activates their rail docker to undock fro the rail, instead of undocking right away, the hard rail docker would send an active signal, which would signal the station logic to begin an undocking procedure.
      • The player can force undocking to happen, by clicking their rail docker again, and keeping it active for 5 seconds to force an undocking.
    Currently the only way I can see of ensuring a ship meets the docking requirements is to just trust players to obey the station rules (ha ha, even moreso on stations that allow non-faction members to dock), or use rail logic. By detecting the position of rails, and moving parts around a docked ship, the station can detect if a ship meets the size requirements (did all of the positions activate? Yes, then the ship will fit). But this is clumsy, and greatly increases the complexity of a docking system.

Reaction score
    I can see where you're coming from BUT:

• A block that is used to allow/disallow dimensions from docking would be useful, but why not build an inlet to your docking structure that has the correct dimensions, this way a ship that has a weird offset would essential get stuck at the front of the bay and never make it to the turns/rotations.
    • When all your docks are full, an AND-Signal could activate a door (rail door in this case) which would not have the controls on the outside available to players. The only way the door opens, is when the AND-signal is false (or when a dock is open) You can also add a timer/clock to the outside rails to dedock an entity waiting to enter that cannot. This would mitigate traffic on the rails.
    • As far as Faction permissions go, a simple solution to segregated faction ranks would be the "Usable" option. The "Edit" option is already in the game for faction modules, but there is nothing telling a rank 4 player that they cannot dock here, or use the doors/storage/etc at that specific location. This has been much needed and would suffice for the suggestion you have.

Also (about your hard docking idea)
    • Why not use a wireless signal to activate an undocking procedure. You could also use a wall of buttons or other types of logic that the docked entity could shoot it's ship core at to activate. Having multiple functions attached to a single hotbar button would prove difficult to control under laggy conditions.

I am not trying to undermine your idea, I just want to know if it might be taking away from player creativity too much and heading in a direction of laziness.

-Vennex

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • A block that is used to allow/disallow dimensions from docking would be useful, but why not build an inlet to your docking structure that has the correct dimensions, this way a ship that has a weird offset would essential get stuck at the front of the bay and never make it to the turns/rotations.
    That's the problem, they would get stuck, blocking anyone else from entering. Ships "snap" onto rails. if a ship was shaped with a large nose and a narrow body, then it would get stuck and not be able to back out again (unless it warp jumped)
    • When all your docks are full, an AND-Signal could activate a door (rail door in this case) which would not have the controls on the outside available to players. The only way the door opens, is when the AND-signal is false (or when a dock is open) You can also add a timer/clock to the outside rails to dedock an entity waiting to enter that cannot. This would mitigate traffic on the rails.
    True, however, if this module already prevents docking, it would make sense to allow it to be triggered to disable docking in general. It's a minor addition, which adds a very useful function to the block. Instead of complex logic, all that would be needed is a single AND and NOT gate to determine if docking bays are full. Ships can dock anywhere on a rail, only the area their docker is attached to would activate a activation block. Placing a bunch of activation blocks under rails is a bit problematic. It's better if the ship was prevented from docking in the first place.

• Why not use a wireless signal to activate an undocking procedure. You could also use a wall of buttons or other types of logic that the docked entity could shoot it's ship core at to activate. Having multiple functions attached to a single hotbar button would prove difficult to control under laggy conditions.
    Oh, I've considered this. The problem with wireless logic is that it can activate a block from anywhere, even other sectors. They can only be tied to one block too, which limits them greatly. The idea here is that any ship can dock at any base, so long as the base allows docking, and their ship will fit, according to the station builder, without getting hung up inside. From a player standpoint docking and undocking from these specialized bays would be the same as docking and undocking from a single rail block placed on a planet, or another ship.

Wall buttons are nice, and I do use them currently, but it's not very intuitive, and they have to be placed where you're sure the ship can activate them. Having a wall of activation buttons. This hard dock module would remove the need a button wall, and would allow for station builders to have much more esthetically pleasing docki For complex docking systems, last thing you want is a noob undocking and getting stuck inside a station. This is why I suggested hard docking as a way to enforce a proper undocking procedure.

From a usability standpoint, the same method used to undock from a normal and hard dock rail inside of a landing bay would be the same. The only difference would be forcing your ship to undock from rail that's using hard docking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I can see where you're coming from BUT:

-Vennex
    Yes but don't use a wall of blocks.Use an area trigger. This way you can sort in enerything in correct sizes an pop out rhe ones that are to big

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes but don't use a wall of blocks.Use an area trigger. This way you can sort in enerything in correct sizes an pop out rhe ones that are to big
    That doesn't stop the problem of ships getting stuck in fully enclosed bays. If the ship is already docked to a rail, they're stuck, Docking needs to be prevented before the ship can snap into position. I want to prevent a ship from docking before they get stuck in the structure by docking on a rail.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436508262,1436504706][/DOUBLEPOST]Ah misread that. No an area trigger wouldn't work. You don't want your ship to start undocking without being on board it, now would you? Especially if someone makes a docking bay that uses push beams to launch ships away from the station after they have undocked.

I use a button for one of my docking bays, but, this only works because I know exactly where the firing reticle will be for my particular ship design. There is no way to "aim" for a particular button when docked. Currently the only way to address this is with a wall of buttons-- but, even with a wall of buttons, someone may just first activate their rail docker instead and not realize the station rail system was setup to handle controlled undocking as well.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This block would allow a station builder to specify a the dimensions of a ship that can dock to the rail (in terms of offset from the center, rails now allow for non-symmetric docking). This will ensure that docking ships will fit in the inner bay, and not get hung up when rotating
    If ship doesnt fit into the docking area, it wont dock. Docked ships can only get stuck if they're moved into tighter spaces afterwards. You can prevent it by making Area controllers, that will prevent the movement if ship doesnt fit there. Same is true for rotating. If you want to a ship of any form to fit into the docking bay, just make the entrance which any ship can enter on its own.
    When logic is connected to this block, an active signal opens up docking, but a inactive signal blocks the ability for ships to dock. This allows automated bays to handle cases when they are full and not able to accept more ships
    Same logic can be used to just physically block the docking rail by a tiny rail element.
    Pipe dream would be to also add faction permissions selection to this block, but hey, factions blocks don't even have that ability to set faction permissions per a member level yet.
    This problem is irrelevant to the topic.

So far the entire suggestion is nothing but a vanity to simplify dealing with logic and rails, which I deem flawed. No complex mechanics are required to meet the given conditions.