Raiben's School of Design

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    So, I've been a big advocate of building pretty ships, and started a series on tips and tricks to help people toward that goal. Typically, these are just rules of thumb and little tips/tricks. I hope this helps some of you out there, and takes your shipbuilding to a new level!

If you have any notes or things you want me to cover feel free to post below, I will try to get to everything as I go along :)

As I make more videos I will update this post. Enjoy!

Ep1-Before you place a single block

Ep2-Your first block and wire-framing

Ep3-Vertical Ships

Extra-School of Design Extra: Rule of 5ths

Quick Tips: Eliminating Waste Blocks

School Of Design: Practice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XFbmv7oaQ&feature=youtu.be

School of Design: Priorities and Interior First Building:
    http://youtu.be/PWJMJLhmxmY

School of Design: Hallways:
    http://youtu.be/EoCQsqmmN0U

School of Design: Speedbuild Overview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV1S2UpYAlI

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Cool, nice that someone made a vid on building cool stuff. Might help a few people.

I honestly don't know why people take it so seriously, but I guess the prestige and admiration is the reward.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Updated the post to include suggestions. If there is something you want to see me cover, feel free to post it as a comment!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It's really nice to see this!!! Hopefully this will teach new players that it's entirely possible (and more rewarding) to make something that isn't a system block spam ^_^

Ps: @Unnamed25 watch the vids, this might actually help you improve!

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    This "rule" does not apply to all ships. Just ships of a certain style, however I figured I would make this video to show how it can be used to proportion you ship better in some cases.

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    If you are going to do turrets, one question I had on a thread that maybe you can cover is how can you do stationary turrets (i.e. turrets that are meant to fire at "selected" and so are facing the same way your main guns are facing). There were several suggestions, one was even to have it dock as a ship instead of a turret, and I am still not completely clear on how this is done.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Next episode is out, sorry that it's a little rambly..

Ep3-Vertical Ships

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    These videos are very informative and nice to listen to.
    So keep them coming!

I do not know if it's just me but I have always wanted some sort of criticism on my work so that I can improve my skill.
    Like tips for what should be done better next time and so on.
    So I will suggest that you could look at some good examples and bad examples from the community?
    Don't get me wrong, I love your builds but it would just be nice to get some input on what have been made out there among the other great builders of this community.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    These videos are very informative and nice to listen to.
    So keep them coming!

I do not know if it's just me but I have always wanted some sort of criticism on my work so that I can improve my skill.
    Like tips for what should be done better next time and so on.
    So I will suggest that you could look at some good examples and bad examples from the community?
    Don't get me wrong, I love your builds but it would just be nice to get some input on what have been made out there among the other great builders of this community.

I actually try to cover this exact thing in my ship reviews, I try to talk directly with a builder and tell them what they've done well and what they could improve. It is, however, not just for them, its for me, as well as everyone else. By looking at those you can figure out what they did and hopefully, how you can do it better.

If that sounds interesting to you and you want to be part of it, get whitelisted to the Mushroom Fleet server and Stay tuned for my next review! (Spoiler, most likely will be tomorrow if all goes well on the Real life front!)

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Thought I might put this here, It's a pretty simple trick, but it's pretty helpful:

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Do you think that you could make a video about how to create a good looking, ship appropriate bridge?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Do you think that you could make a video about how to create a good looking, ship appropriate bridge?

I plan to cover interiors next, so I'll certainly get to it. I'm thinking I'll do individual room types as "Quick Tips" Videos, or perhaps start a new series for them, but yeah, I'll definitely cover it!

Reaction score
    can you do a video on greebling techniques, or other ways to add detail to a ship after you have the basic hull layout? That seems to be my biggest problem when creating ships, they just look boring.

Reaction score
    Neat guide! So far, I seem to like breaking the rules...

I'm going to watch some of these when I get off work to see what you mention in depth a bit more. Although I'm new in this game, in other similar games, I go for a function-over-form approach; I start with the different compartments, design them from the inside out, lay them out in the most practical order, then connect them via the body/frame. It tends to give the ships/structures a much more realistic, "industrial" feel to them. With cargo a vessel, for instance, I start with the cargo bays, then work my way out.

I want to see how that approach translates into shipbuilding in Starmade. In other games, like Minecraft, Space Engineers, Wayward Terran Frontier, etc. it makes for some really complex looking, but intuitive designs.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    School of Design Practice:

Thought it may be nice for the holidays, hopefully y'all like it, and can't wait to see what y'all do with them!

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    School of Design: Priorities and Interior First Building

I'll be doing livestreams of interior builds(IE Medical facility stream where I build a whole bunch of medical rooms, and Engineering streams etc) So definitely check that out if you would like! Twitch link in the video description

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Interesting series of videos, very informative.
    Quick Tips - Creative Mode in Starmade
    I have a little question about the creative mode setting you suggested. I assume the command '/shop_infinite' will be persistent when given in the world currently running. If so, I presume it's wise to start a new 'creative' world before using this command, instead of using it in ones current 'survival', or 'crafting' world.

Have a happy 2015,

Jan