Radiation - Emission From Antimatter Cannons

Reaction score
    I remember playing around back before the update with the mod Immersive Blocks. I don't know if many of you installed the mod, but shops sold a block called Radioactive Goop. It was just a regular old block, but what if radiation were included in Starmade?

Now, the antimatter weapons are very unrealistic in the aspect of radiation emitted from the reaction. First off, when matter and antimatter collide, quite an amount of gamma radiation is let off. Gamma radiation is very deadly, and no doubt, getting out of your ship after a big battle would completely fry you.

However, that much realism wouldn't make the game fun. If you were in a station battle, and you had active personnel walking the halls, they would die.

Instead, the idea works on antimatter radiation. I'm sure you've looked at the big, capitol ship cannons, and saw how massive the projectiles flung out by that thing are. One thing is for certain, that is way too much antimatter to annihilate just one block. Instead, it would heighten the amount of antimatter radiation in the sector, draining the shields of anyone in the sector (including the ship that put the antimatter in the sector) over time. Maybe if there was a very high amount of radiation, it would damage blocks as well. However, since you're already too vulnerable when you're out of a ship, antimatter will have much smaller effects on personnel, like, maybe making them unable to move as quickly or something.

Over time, the antimatter radiation in the sector would diminish, allowing for blocks to no longer decay. Ships would have an onboard Geiger Counter, to let them know the amount of antimatter in the immediate area that they're in, allowing for you to avoid certain spots if you don't want your shields to drain, or, if you follow the radiation in each sector, plot revenge.

Now, I know that some of you don't like realism, and argue that "It's just a game." so maybe adding an antimatter cleanup block would shut you up.

The antimatter cleanup block would clear some dormant antimatter with every tick, allowing for you to reopen starports without having to worry about your fleets' shields going down.

It would work similarly to a factory input. You would have an antimatter cleanup system computer connected to enhancers, allowing for a more efficient cleanup.

Now, I know schema recently added new configs for sector size, and I was thinking that I would use an equation based on sector size to determine how much radiation a sector can take, and how much antimatter will be emitted with each hit.

Possible inner workings (Skip if math hurts your brain) (Don't skip if it doesn't)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Equation for Antimatter Emission:

A=Damage
    B=Block Health
    G=Armor (In decimal, for example, hardened hull would be 2, regular hull 1.5, rock or any unarmored block 1)
    E=Emissions
    S=Sector size

E = A - ( GB ) / S

So, using that logic, a 400 damage weapon hitting a hardened hull block would emit 200 shield damage per tick in a 1 meter sector. In a kilometer-long sector, it would only drain the shields by .2 damage per tick. Values below 50 would be nullified and wouldn't have any effect on shields.

Now, the natural diminishing of radiation is 2 damage per tick, and since a tick is every 5 seconds (not too sure if I'm right on that) it would take that 1 meter sector reflected on earlier 500 seconds to revert to background radiation levels, making shields take approximately 10,000 damage, factoring in the decay and the nullification of values below 50.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cleanup System Values:

The Cleanup System is based on the Factory Input system greatly. However, the increases aren't as drastic, nor can you place more than one per structure. Just by placing it, a Cleanup System Block increases cleanup by 1 damage per tick. Every Cleanup System Enhancer speeds up cleanup by .01 damage per tick, which means that you'll need 100 enhancers to increase the cleanup speed to 2 damage per tick, halving the amount of time it takes to get rid of the radiation.

T=Ticks (until background radiation is restored)
    E=Emissions (Solved by Equation for Antimatter Emission)
    C=Cleanup System
    CE=Cleanup Enhancers
    N=Nullification (No equation for it because math has been on my mind for like 3 hours)

T = E - (2 + (C + .05CE)) - N
    Total Equation:

T=Ticks
    A=Damage
    B=Block Health
    G=Armor
    C=Cleanup Systems Per Sector
    CE=Total Cleanup Enhancers

T= ( A - (GB) / S ) - ( 2 = ( C + .05CE)) - N
    MATH IS OVER (for now) PLEASE READ

Now, if you understood at least some of the equations, you're probably gonna ask about the slowdown factor, however, I'd rather hear from you about that before I go and make equations for it.

Penetration, Punch-Through, and Ion Tertiary effects nullify the radiation effect, and maybe explosive, because the explosive shotgun could throw massive amounts of radiation into the universe.

Let me know what you guys think.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't mean to oversimplify your idea, but it sounds like you want area-effect stack-damage-over-time on a weapon, maybe an effect module. The DOT will keep damaging blocks in a specific radius until either until a timer ends (the timer is a function of damage), or the cleanup system clears them out or reduces the seconds left on the timer.

I like the idea, though! StarMade doesn't have any DOT weapons right now (to the best of my knowledge) and it would add some more variety.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Antimatter cannons are just cannons now, they just haven't been renamed yet.

I disagree with this. It sounds like it would be more annoying that it would be worth. You'd end up with a bunch of deadzones around spawn from all the conflict in those areas that would kill unaware newbies before they ever had a chance.

Reaction score
    Lecic True, but it would allow for colonization further than the inner sectors. And I mentioned that the high amounts of antimatter radiation would not fatally affect astronaut mode. Maybe making it to where it will not affect cores? And also, areas around the spawn are most likely the most colonized areas, so cleanup systems would probably be in place.

Last edited by a moderator: