Radial gravity block

Reaction score
    One of the first things that struck me as odd about Starmade is the fact that on a ship each individual player is able to choose whether they are effected by gravity or not by pressing 'r' on the block. This is obviously unrealistic and seems to me to be a bit pointless.

So, in the same way planets have a gravitational pull in a wide area that affects everybody on it there should be a block which too applies gravity to everybody within its range. In the same way shields affect the entire body they are attached to, this block should work the same way. This block would make it much easier to traverse space stations and would keep them cleaner because we would not have to place gravity blocks everywhere. It would also give proper purpose to lifts because no longer would people be able to simply float up. (Make lifts function going downwards too please).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Agreed with the whole of this idea!
    Schema! add it!
    i thought the same thing when first playing with grav blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    it would make it more as it should be, but it might be a nightmare to program. also i would like the idear of magnatizeng the hull, so that you could make for instance go on a stroll on the bottom of your spaceship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    well.. turn on-off a small scale version of planet gravity algorithm. :I I mean, planets are even moving in space too. They\'re basically really huge ships. Planet-sized ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I figured that the gravity blocks actually activate a communication between the spacesuit systems and the ship systems, causing the suit to \'fall\', actually moving in synchronicity with the ship as if there was gravity even though technically there isn\'t, and it\'s being controlled by the suit\'s propulsion system.

Reaction score
    That\'s a pretty good explanation for lore Hadras and I would like to keep the existing gravity blocks but I feel a station wide block would be awesome to have too.

Reaction score
    It would be great if gravity happened without pressing R on a module. It\'s a bit tedius and I think with it being automatic + alternate gravity directions we could create some real interesting stuff.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What I would like to see are planets that are not a flat surface with an atmosphere, but a cube shape with an atmosphere and depending on what side you are closest to, that side you will be gravitated to. If you walked over the edge of the cube, you would go onto the side (Or now, the top) of the cube, so you could never fall off.

The same could be with the ships with a artificial gravity block activated, you would have to actually touch the ship in astronaught mode and then you would get to walk on it and walk over edges and stuff.

Reaction score
    That\'d be hard to code I imagine, how would the engine know what is a cliff to fall off and what\'s the end of the world.
    Any more friendly bumpers around? I\'d like one of the team to see this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Perhaps have the gravity be an automatic pull when someone first gets to a station or ship, but have a special permissions block or function to release someone from the gravity.

Reaction score
    It would be automatic, but the point is to disallow exclusions from the gravity field. The block can still be turned off, but when it is off the entire ship or station loses gravity. That\'s what sets it apart from the standard gravity block.

Reaction score
    I would never normally bump a thread I made, I know it is against the rules on many forums but the topics fly by so fast here I feel like I have to help my thread a little bit. I really want this, I know there are people out there who really want this who\'ve just missed the thread. Please guys even if you haven\'t got anything interesting to add just say +1, a bump goes a long way.

You know you want to add this schema.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Theres more incentive to not the the gravity block then to use it. A Gravity block, in my view, is a way to force players to go through your ship or station as you intended them to. If people can fly through the station, it defeats many of the asthetics.

Whether you agree with my particular reasons or not, I still would like to see this happen as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This idea is actually very good. If planets have a gravity well that universally affects players, then there could technically be a block that does that as well! As Charlie_ said. Planets are basically ships. Giant, slow-moving, planets sized ships. This makes sense and I love it. Bumpp

Reaction score
    Thank you for the bumps guys and excellent points. Keep em coming folks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can already imagine people in spawn getting dragged into giant ships and spamming the chat

Reaction score
    I\'m not sure what you mean, the gravity wouldn\'t pull in objects from outside the station or ship it is deployed on. It would only apply to people inside.

Reaction score
    Not at all, schema already has gravity in a radius upon planets it\'s a simple matter of giving the player the ability to enable or disable this kind of gravity in a remote location. A lot of people say there\'s problems with the coding of a feature but the reality is usually far from it.