Radar jamming ship destroyed by hulk missile?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I see that Sven the Slayer has opened a ticket regarding this, but I'd like some clarification on how the radar jammer affects AI? As stated in the title, and as Sven describes in his support ticket, I approached a pirate base while using a radar jammer (not cloaked,) and was suddenly destroyed by a hulk missile. A number of odd things led up that moment.

First, I had gone to a different pirate base that had beam turrets. Anytime I got within ~7950 m of the base, the turrets started firing - even though I had the radar jammer activated.

Second, I jumped to the base with the hulk missile. I jumped in one system away, which put me at about 5,600 m. The turrets on the base did not fire on me, even though I was much closer.

I immediately recognized the base and kept an eye out for the launch of the hulk missile, even though I saw no outward signs I had been detected. Without warning I was dead. I never saw the hulk missile, I never saw any of the base turrets fire.

Today I built another stealth ship and tested it with a friend. He did not observe a target icon for the ship even at point blank range. It was always my understanding that jammers blocked all targeting by AI or player, and cloaking only protected from visual detection by other players. Given the different reactions of the bases, I'm wondering if there is more to it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    From what I understand is that AI will maintain a lock on you if you activate the jammer once targeted. Turrets will also shoot at you when you are jamming but they have a huge penalty to accuracy.

I know on at least on of the occasions I was killed by the hulk missile my jamming system had gone down briefly. Because I cannot see missiles fired from neighboring sectors I have not been able to test hulk missiles ability to fired on uninterrupted jamming. I will set up some test in the next week though.

Reaction score
    Don't know if this still holds up ,but the AI is both less intelligent and smarter than you. As long as you are cloaked the AI used to not fire at you even if they knew you were there because you didn't use jamming. If you just used jamming and not cloak they could still see you ; read anecdote you could get a little bit closer without being seen if you used jamming but eventually they would still spot you. If they see you they can fire at you it doesn't matter if you ship is all black hull against black space and otherwise invisible to human players. Jamming just removes the targeting diamond to prevent lock-on (when working) they can still dumb-fire at you.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The problem isn't that ai don't see jammed ships (or not), the problem is the ai can LOCK ON to you while jammed.

Reaction score
    Hence when working-> missiles have a lot of bugs that keep popping up being targeted by heat seekers while cloaked, being targeted on while jammed and cloaked, and AI lock-on while jammed pops up often enough
    something gets fixed and they break it again somewhere else later along the line.

Reactions: Mered4