Radar jamming on a base?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I haven't tried it but does the radar jammer or cloaking device work on a station? I would love to have a secret base that could "disappear".

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    No, I don't think so. Would be to OP and trippy to have a invisible base,

Reaction score
    currently cloak and jamming only activate in the weapons bar which stations don't have, so no

but it would be nice if star systems had a variety of character quirks like reduced top speed, increased drag, natural jamming, forcing heat seekers to attack the sun, and ftl interdiction

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    No, I don't think so. Would be to OP and trippy to have a invisible base,
    Yeah, I don't really want a base that goes totally invisible, unless it was just for a limited time, but being able to mask the radar signature would be nice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Cloaks for bases is way too OP (not to mention it probably wouldn't work given power requirements), but radar jamming is a different story.

Now that we can see all of the stations in any given sector with the galaxy map, we need better ways to obscure bases. Radar jamming should keep the bases off the galaxy map and remove the indicator on-screen. However, because they are bases, a ship with scanning sensors should be able to pick their location up on a scan. But, with the actual base named obscured.

Reaction score
    Base jamming - though once you put a turret on it, bye bye jamming since turrets cannot jam.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Base jamming - though once you put a turret on it, bye bye jamming since turrets cannot jam.
    I suppose that would be a somewhat fair tradeoff, and would encourage specific roles for bases to a degree.

Base with no jamming - visible on galaxy map and player map/nav pane
    Base with jamming and no turrets - invisible to galaxy map and player map/nav pane
    Base with jamming and turrets - invisible to galaxy map but not player map/nav pane (by virtue of turrets being on the player map/nav pane, not the base itself)

Unless jamming is made to propagate down to turrets in the future. Regardless of all that, I think home bases need to be on all maps though, regardless of Jamming.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Regardless of all that, I think home bases need to be on all maps though, regardless of Jamming.
    Jamming a home base wouldn't really help that much anyway since home base sectors are shown in the faction list. I am mainly concerned about secondary bases that aren't invincible and less well defended.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Jamming a home base wouldn't really help that much anyway since home base sectors are shown in the faction list. I am mainly concerned about secondary bases that aren't invincible and less well defended.
    Considering how massive a system is let alone a galaxy, the odds of finding jammed bases while specifically looking for them would be very low even with a scanner unless a base is made in enemy territory (can we even do this?). Their security will be through obscurity instead of through defense. In some ways that's even better than an array of turrets. Unless you manage to tail someone to their base.

I happen to love trade offs though, so I think that's a good feature.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Uh, turrets DO jam. Its just that they're usually shooting at things which obviates the whole jamming thing.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    If, only by using an activation module.(the scanner requires both a player sig and an activation signal, only hotbar/activation-module provide it)
    you would think that scanners being logic triggered would be the main reason we could put them on stations. if we could connect them to a logic clock we could have Listening outposts.

Who wouldn't want that?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    you would think that scanners being logic triggered would be the main reason we could put them on stations. if we could connect them to a logic clock we could have Listening outposts.

Who wouldn't want that?
    True, but who will recieve the results?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    True, but who will recieve the results?
    good point.

maybe scanners on stations could work differently than when their on ships. When they're fired the data is sent to a section of the faction page where everyone can see it.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    good point.

maybe scanners on stations could work differently than when their on ships. When they're fired the data is sent to a section of the faction page where everyone can see it.
    What if the station isn't factioned thanks to some idiot?