Racially Diverse Avatars

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK, I'm sorry @Lecic , but BeefBacon didn't say any of that. Plus you're not a defult human in the game, you're default Dave. There is a huge different between those two things. A couple of million years and a few dimension and 1 computer screen to be precise.

Reaction score
    "Make your own avatar because White Male is the default human being and therefore should be the default skin, make your own if you want to be anything but 'default human'."
    Yes. If you don't want to be the default, boring character then spend 5 minutes making your own one. Why does race have to come into it? The whole point of the boring base character is that it's a blank canvas for you to make your own. Who gives a shit if it's white or not? Maybe I should pitch a fit because Minecraft Steve has a marginally darker shade of skin than I do.

Reaction score
    Anyway, the thread doesnt apply to me, because my avatar is a bald, red shirt, Jean-Luc Picard. He is a Frenchman. Who is Dave?[DOUBLEPOST=1413745154,1413744767][/DOUBLEPOST]Adding default characters would not be too bad I guess, as long as they are hand done by Schema and not members of the community, because we already have those. We don't need more community done characters.

But the default characters should be Avengers. Where is my green skinned Hulk?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    OK, I'm sorry @Lecic , but BeefBacon didn't say any of that. Plus you're not a defult human in the game, you're default Dave. There is a huge different between those two things. A couple of million years and a few dimension and 1 computer screen to be precise.
    No, that is pretty much what he said. "Make your own damn skin," because white male is the standard human.

I just love when people use some sort of weird bullshit excuse for why we can't have multiple default skins to choose from. "It's an alternate dimension where everyone is a white guy due to millions of years of evolution!"

Yes. If you don't want to be the default, boring character then spend 5 minutes making your own one. Why does race have to come into it? The whole point of the boring base character is that it's a blank canvas for you to make your own. Who gives a shit if it's white or not? Maybe I should pitch a fit because Minecraft Steve has a marginally darker shade of skin than I do.
    You're just continuing to prove my point that you think white men are the default human being by claiming a white guy is a "blank canvas" and that anything extra you add to a white guy (a change of sex, a different skin tone) makes you no longer a "default human being." If Dave was a "blank canvas," he'd be an aracial character design, such as the characters from Homestuck, where the characters skin tone is quite literally blank.

We're not giving a shit that Dave is white. We're mad because Dave = White is the ONLY option unless you expend effort, and even then the whole universe besides you is still White Daves.

Also, Minecraft Steve? is different because you can recolor a Minecraft skin in a minute or so with little to no skill due to the simplicity of Minecraft skins, where-as skinning in Starmade is much more complex and difficult, because you need to account for things like the bending of the model, animations, and the much higher pixel count.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Well, what if a guy who isn't white wants to play Star Made? And who decided that "white" is default? If anything, it should be Asian, because there's more of them. And not everyone has the expertise to paint their own skins. A list of avatars you can choose from is a good idea.
    I started making different faces for people to use so that even without the skin-expertise they could look closer to what they wanted (hopefully).

http://starmadedock.net/threads/ann...ts-skin-resources-and-skin-related-work.1805/
    (See Faces 1, and "More Female faces")

I agree that in the future, different skins could, and perhaps should be made available. Perhaps even a female model or other models, but I feel that other parts of the base gameplay take priority first. Just my opinion though. I would like to see that diversity by default someday. ^_^;;

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why must everyone get so worked up such a small thing? Seriously guys, nobody complains that minecraft only has one default skin, so why do they complain that StarMade only has one default skin?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    should be Asian, because there's more of them.
    And how the fuck did your tiny brain come up with the idea that the majority of people who play starmade are asian. Fucking retard, honestly as people are saying you can use paint or photo shop, it's not hard honestly, perhaps learn and do something for a change instead of putting stupid ass ideas on the suggestions post.

oh and requesting thread lock.

Reaction score
    I don't think a default option to change the avatar is a bad idea. I almost hate to even mention I'm another race the way this thread is going however, I can see why this is more of an end game feature. I understand you can make one yourself, which I don't know how to do, though a official standard set of characters would be nice. I don't think it is lazy not wanting to make one yourself as I tend to mess things up beyond comprehension when I have no idea what I am doing. Therefore a default option where I don't risk messing anything up would be appreciated.
    I think people view avatars as extensions of themselves hence the reason none of my are white....nothing racist to it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    And how the fuck did your tiny brain come up with the idea that the majority of people who play starmade are asian. Fucking retard, honestly as people are saying you can use paint or photo shop, it's not hard honestly, perhaps learn and do something for a change instead of putting stupid ass ideas on the suggestions post.

I believe he means that the majority of human beings are asian, not the majority of Starmade players.

And yeah, after the disgusting bile you've spewed in this thread, I won't be surprised if it gets locked.

Why must everyone get so worked up such a small thing? Seriously guys, nobody complains that minecraft only has one default skin, so why do they complain that StarMade only has one default skin?
    You realise Minecraft has TWO default skins now, right? Steve AND Alex?

People are getting worked up over the idea of having multiple default skins, not that we don't, anyway. Nearly all the hate in this thread is from opposition to the idea.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score

Try to remain respectful of other members while using these forums. Yes, even if you disagree with them.

Reaction score
    I think a bad joke but a bad spin on a good idea. Which I agree should not be near the top of the todo list till beta or later. Yet, the fact that you can use another program to do it still does not mean there should not be in-game options.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yeesh who would have thought racism would become a problem in a game where no one can even speak to one another other than via text chat...

Seriously though, multiple default skins (or even randomized) ones would be pretty neat. Although I use a "custom" skin I made, it would probably be useful for others less inclined to go make (or find) on their own.
    (If you couldn't tell this yet; I'm trying to derail this thread to be something less hateful and more inspirational, join the bandwagon)

Reaction score
    No, that is pretty much what he said. "Make your own damn skin," because white male is the standard human.

I just love when people use some sort of weird bullshit excuse for why we can't have multiple default skins to choose from. "It's an alternate dimension where everyone is a white guy due to millions of years of evolution!"

You're just continuing to prove my point that you think white men are the default human being by claiming a white guy is a "blank canvas" and that anything extra you add to a white guy (a change of sex, a different skin tone) makes you no longer a "default human being." If Dave was a "blank canvas," he'd be an aracial character design, such as the characters from Homestuck, where the characters skin tone is quite literally blank.

We're not giving a shit that Dave is white. We're mad because Dave = White is the ONLY option unless you expend effort, and even then the whole universe besides you is still White Daves.

Also, Minecraft Steve? is different because you can recolor a Minecraft skin in a minute or so with little to no skill due to the simplicity of Minecraft skins, where-as skinning in Starmade is much more complex and difficult, because you need to account for things like the bending of the model, animations, and the much higher pixel count.
    What?

An alternate dimension where evolution has turned everyone white? Are you mad? Nobody even remotely hinted at that. I can barely follow the deranged logic you're trying to use.

Dave has a grey space suit. Blank canvas. That he happens to be white is entirely irrelevant. If Dave was black do you think I'd care? No. Nobody should care because it doesn't fucking matter.

And the fact that Dave has a higher pixel count than Steve is such a weak argument that I can hardly believe that you made it. If you are really, really that bothered about having a white character, or if anybody is bothered about having a white character, then they can change it with 5 - 10 minutes of playing around in Photoshop or Gimp. It isn't difficult. They can even use a community-made skin, and I don't doubt that down the line there'll be a tool to make customizing skins even easier than it is now.

I'm not against more default skins. I don't see the point of it since the idea is that we create our own skins, but I'm not against it. What I am against is people creating stupid bullshit strawman arguments in an attempt to paint everyone who disagrees with them as an ignorant racist.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What?

An alternate dimension where evolution has turned everyone white? Are you mad? Nobody even remotely hinted at that. I can barely follow the deranged logic you're trying to use.

Dave has a grey space suit. Blank canvas. That he happens to be white is entirely irrelevant. If Dave was black do you think I'd care? No. Nobody should care because it doesn't fucking matter.

And the fact that Dave has a higher pixel count than Steve is such a weak argument that I can hardly believe that you made it. If you are really, really that bothered about having a white character, or if anybody is bothered about having a white character, then they can change it with 5 - 10 minutes of playing around in Photoshop or Gimp. It isn't difficult. They can even use a community-made skin, and I don't doubt that down the line there'll be a tool to make customizing skins even easier than it is now.

I'm not against more default skins. I don't see the point of it since the idea is that we create our own skins, but I'm not against it. What I am against is people creating stupid bullshit strawman arguments in an attempt to paint everyone who disagrees with them as an ignorant racist.
    "Plus you're not a defult human in the game, you're default Dave. There is a huge different between those two things. A couple of million years and a few dimension...to be precise."
    -funnybunny14

Dave isn't a blank canvas. That's such a feeble argument. I haven't tried to paint anyone as an "ignorant racist." I have not called a single person "racist" in this thread. All I've said is that it's ridiculous that people are opposing the idea.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/def...-races-and-genders-for-players-and-npcs.3780/

We should all be moving to this thread as it doesn't have the issues of this one. ("if ur against this ur racist")

Reaction score
    I think there should be more defaults no matter what they are color, aliens etc. I don't have photoshop or gimp and I can hardly use paint. I don't think anything my unskilled hands could create would be something I would want to use. I don't know nothing about bending etc. I can just simply play the game. That is why I would personally like any other defaults because I not too lazy but I don't have the skill required. The fact that other people have mods out there does not match to an official in-game model.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think there should be more defaults no matter what they are color, aliens etc. I don't have photoshop or gimp and I can hardly use paint. I don't think anything my unskilled hands could create would be something I would want to use. I don't know nothing about bending etc. I can just simply play the game. That is why I would personally like any other defaults because I not too lazy but I don't have the skill required. The fact that other people have mods out there does not match to an official in-game model.
    Might I suggest you check out the skins section of the forum.

Edit: OK, I deserved that old rating didn't read the last part for some reason.

Reaction score
    Dave isn't a blank canvas. That's such a feeble argument.
    No... Dave was designed specifically to be a blank slate. His space suit lacks detail and colour. The idea is that we add to it or build our own. In order to represent that the player model is human, they made Dave a black woman because making Dave a white man would incur the wrath of Tumblr.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Small request: Can someone please look up the release information for the dave skin? It might give people peace at mind to know what rhe intention of the devs was.

Reaction score
    Even if Dave is a black canvas made to be built upon I feel I should be using Starmade to make Dave not a program I don't own or know about.[DOUBLEPOST=1413758721,1413758545][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Even if Dave is a black canvas made to be built upon I feel I should be using Starmade to make Dave not a program I don't own or know about.
    blank*

Status
    Not open for further replies.