Racially Diverse Avatars

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This suggestion was indeed not a troll suggestion.

Although someone did point out that if you want a different skin, there are a ton of others out there, and I'm going to have to agree with that.

I also want to add that every game has a character which you play as (well, a lot of games). Take portal for example, you only had one character. Same thing applies to atarmade. We all play as dave (unless we have a custom skin). He is the character we play as, and I don't fully understand why we would need more versions of him. There is only one dave after all.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why can't we have people other than Dave? There's nothing wrong with more than one default avatar people can choose from. I dont see why everyone is so up in arms about this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    [DaveC9000 raises an eyebrow at the mention of the elusive Blue, Green, and Silver ethnic groups]

Reaction score
    Why can't we have people other than Dave? There's nothing wrong with more than one default avatar people can choose from. I dont see why everyone is so up in arms about this.
    It's been stated, if you would just read instead of remaining ignorant to the fact. People aren't against the idea. They just think development of the game is better suited towards gameplay instead of having the devs waste time doing something that community member(s) can do by themselves. And in the future, I suggest not pulling the race card. It's does more harm than good.

Reaction score
    Make your own avatar or pull from the library here on the site. I was too lazy to make one, so I stole the Captain Picard Avatar.

Even my 10 year old makes skins in minecraft - Captain America just yesterday.

And I agree this is a trollish post - especially because of the "if you disagree you are racist" baiting. The obvious troll is, indeed, obvious.

Reactions: Azurite

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    People seem to be pretty hostile to the idea of the game having multiple races by default, jeez. Would it really be that difficult to just have a default skin for both sexes and a couple of skin types? It's just a recolor but would do wonders on the "representation" in the game. Plus, shop hired NPCs could have a random sex and race assigned, something you CAN'T do with skins.

I also want to add that every game has a character which you play as (well, a lot of games). Take portal for example, you only had one character. Same thing applies to atarmade. We all play as dave (unless we have a custom skin). He is the character we play as, and I don't fully understand why we would need more versions of him. There is only one dave after all.
    Portal has a story, and the character in that is racially ambiguous. Starmade doesn't have a story. You make your own story, if you chose to do so. And Dave is most definitely not racially ambiguous.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Snk
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    People seem to be pretty hostile to the idea of the game having multiple races by default, jeez.
    That's not what people are hostile to. They're hostile to the idea that StarMade needs inclusion or else "das racist!" when in reality all it needs is whatever the developers want to do or prioritize. Not only that, the tools to do what a user wants to do are already there.

Also might I add, in Portal, Chell's race is fairly ambiguous. Her real life model is actually Brazilian/Japanese. Just saying.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    That's not what people are hostile to. They're hostile to the idea that StarMade needs inclusion or else "das racist!" when in reality all it needs is whatever the developers want to do or prioritize. Not only that, the tools to do what a user wants to do are already there.

Also might I add, in Portal, Chell's race is fairly ambiguous. Her real life model is actually Brazilian/Japanese. Just saying.
    Yeah, Chell IS pretty racially ambiguous, now that you mention it. I've edited my post.

Reaction score
    That's not what people are hostile to. They're hostile to the idea that StarMade needs inclusion or else "das racist!" when in reality all it needs is whatever the developers want to do or prioritize. Not only that, the tools to do what a user wants to do are already there..
    I think the problem is that the default character is white male, and you have to find or make a different skin to be otherwise. Which seems pretty fair to me, actually.

A couple of Dave recolours (and a corresponding Davette for each) that come with the game would actually be a pretty substantial improvement for, I believe, pretty minor development cost.

All that said, the OP was being pretty troll-y. Doesn't mean its a bad suggestion though.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The only things worthwhile I've seen here are a female default model (and a female mesh for that matter) and variety for shop NPCs. Make my default char a Mongolian-Korean mix for all I care. Shoot, I might as well complain that there's no Dave with a beard and that I don't want to play a clean-shaven character because it's somehow less manly. Even if I were to be that absurd, I think there's a Riker skin on this site for download. Problem solved.

And just to reiterate, the "racist" argument in the OP is a crime against humanity and an insult to everything with a brain, sentient or not. Just throwing that out there.

Reaction score
    That was a joke.
    Yeah, it really came off as one.

But as you can see, sarcasm doesn't really come across very well via text, does it? If you were indeed joking you should have known better than to write something that could obviously come across as incredibly arrogant regardless of your intentions.

Make your own damn avatar.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Make your own damn avatar.
    "Make your own avatar because White Male is the default human being and therefore should be the default skin, make your own if you want to be anything but 'default human'."

Reactions: Snk
    Status
    Not open for further replies.