Quick ship building wishilist

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is just a quick list of things that would make the game a lot nicer for builders.
    • Movable ship cores. Oldest quality-of-life feature request. Still the most important.
    • Helm computer - stand-in for a command chair. Just lets you access the core remotely.
    • Sit in front of quarter slabs and decorative consoles. This makes decorative interiors more flexible.
    • Chairs. Just a simple, blocky seat block that you can sit in. It doesn't need to be fancy at this point in development.
    • Ship design game mode - empty sector with just you and a ship. It's like the test sector from shipyards, only you keep the changes you make.
    • Shipyard tweaks:
      • Shipyards access the aforementioned "ship design mode" instead of forcing you to render the space station while building. This would help low-end computers and might be less distracting even for high end ones.
      • Shipyards teleport you back to the shipyard computer when you leave the core.
      • Add turrets from blueprints
      • FIX ALL OF THE BUGS

Reaction score
    Movable ship cores. Oldest quality-of-life feature request. Still the most important.
    If you look at the Frequent Suggestions Megathread, you will see that this is actually already planned. If I had to guess, it may be coming in the universe update. If not, it would probably be really late in development when there wouldn't be much left to add or change that could potentially break it (kind of like fleet mining, which I think is going to be addressed again in the universe update, as well).

Helm computer - stand-in for a command chair. Just lets you access the core remotely.
    Seems like a simple request that can likely be easily incorporated into many builds with the right texturing. Although, you may have to talk to Saber about that one, as it sounds like he's really looking forward to command chairs. :)

Sit in front of quarter slabs and decorative consoles. This makes decorative interiors more flexible.
    I've seen Saber request this in multiple streams, as well. There is a lot of consensus that this kind of thing would be great. It is likely planned to happen, but when it will happen I don't know. I agree that this should happen at some point.

Chairs. Just a simple, blocky seat block that you can sit in. It doesn't need to be fancy at this point in development.
    I flinched at this. You're getting into some murky waters with this. When it comes to having physical furniture in a voxel-based game, you have to be really careful. Everyone has a different build style, and it is nearly impossible to create a chair, or small selection of chairs, that will fit with every one of them. The best way to go, in my opinion, is to let the players be creative and create their own chairs out of the blocks and shapes they have. That's also where the sitting in front of slabs suggestion comes in to save the day. If you're in a voxel-based world, a wedge chair would look completely normal in front of a slab desk. And if you can sit in that wedge chair at that slab desk and look down at whatever is on the desk, that's good enough for me.

• Ship design game mode - empty sector with just you and a ship. It's like the test sector from shipyards, only you keep the changes you make.
    • Shipyard tweaks:
      • Shipyards access the aforementioned "ship design mode" instead of forcing you to render the space station while building. This would help low-end computers and might be less distracting even for high end ones.
      • Shipyards teleport you back to the shipyard computer when you leave the core.
      • Add turrets from blueprints
      • FIX ALL OF THE BUGS
    These I can't really say much about because I don't have much experience at all with shipyards (I only found out yesterday what they actually did.), but I can assure you that improvements and additions to it are likely on the way. Schema isn't the kind of mischievous cat that would leave you with an incomplete mechanic.:catnod:

I can't really say that everything I mentioned in here is for sure, as some of this is just a prediction, but there are things that the devs know about and are planning. We all just need to be patient.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you look at the Frequent Suggestions Megathread, you will see that this is actually already planned. If I had to guess, it may be coming in the universe update. If not, it would probably be really late in development when there wouldn't be much left to add or change that could potentially break it (kind of like fleet mining, which I think is going to be addressed again in the universe update, as well).
    In my opinion, this is something we should have had five years ago, so it makes any list of ship-building requests. Similar games like Empyrion have movable cores and always have had them. Some space voxel games don't use cores.

I flinched at this. You're getting into some murky waters with this. When it comes to having physical furniture in a voxel-based game, you have to be really careful. Everyone has a different build style, and it is nearly impossible to create a chair, or small selection of chairs, that will fit with every one of them. The best way to go, in my opinion, is to let the players be creative and create their own chairs out of the blocks and shapes they have. That's also where the sitting in front of slabs suggestion comes in to save the day. If you're in a voxel-based world, a wedge chair would look completely normal in front of a slab desk. And if you can sit in that wedge chair at that slab desk and look down at whatever is on the desk, that's good enough for me.
    Last I heard chairs are planned. You can get enough variety with four blocks: Arms, no arms, arm on left side, arm on right side. From these you can make any size of seat or couch. A fifth shape, a corner, would be nice but not as urgently needed as a plain seat.

but I can assure you that improvements and additions to it are likely on the way. Schema isn't the kind of mischievous cat that would leave you with an incomplete mechanic.:catnod:
    I can see you're new around here. :-p Welcome to Starmade.

Reaction score
    I can see you're new around here. :-p Welcome to Starmade.
    I am fairly new, but I also know that no developer would release a game when part of it is still incomplete. You do need to remember that Starmade is still in alpha. You can't compare it to a full game yet.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Honestly I would like to see cores get removed entirely. I know thats unlikely as pretty much the entire engine is coded to work on a "Block A is X blocks up, Y blocks to the left, and Z blocks away from the Core" style system, but still, pie in the sky dream.

Have it work the same as it does now, but replace cores with Build Blocks that can be taken out and moved. Might happen once we get command chairs. Then just have the HUD marker highlight the ship's center of mass and call it a day.

Having to deal with cores is quite possibly the single most frustrating part of the shipbuilding experience in Starmade for me.

Reactions: Valiant70

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    *push the phantom-agree button* to all posts

We need a database extension for display blocks because they are bugged when updated by logic and getting reloaded without manually being saved.
    Also a smaller possible setup to convert between decimal and hexadecimal and convert 8x8 activation blocks into an alphanumeric string - that could open the way to more complex programs which we can execute in ships.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    *push the phantom-agree button* to all posts

We need a database extension for display blocks because they are bugged when updated by logic and getting reloaded without manually being saved.
    Also a smaller possible setup to convert between decimal and hexadecimal and convert 8x8 activation blocks into an alphanumeric string - that could open the way to more complex programs which we can execute in ships.
    How about logic that's not a thousand times larger than real-life vacuum tube computers? Some of those were only a few cubic meters.

Reactions: NeonSturm