(quick question) What's next again, remind me?

Reaction score
    So even though nothings set in stone, what is the roadmap for the next update? What's the next big thing? I mean, last time schema made updates saying he was going to redo the universe and lo and behold he did, but nothing new is in the thingy for updates. I see a small mention for a new rail system and some new (VERY MUCH NEEDED) docking mechanics but nothing much else?

Is it AI? Spiders were the tech demo for it.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Also don't forget the news they dropped about working on a new UI. Both that and docking were features that weren't redone in a looooong time, so having those done (especially a snazzy UI) will help a lot with SM's public image.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am always surprised when I see someone using the def UI instead of a ReSkin.

Can't wait for the new one :D

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    New UI possibly before christmas. Rail system that may have something to do with docking/turrets. Let it be known that the rail system is also supposedly amazing and going to work incredibly well with what we want to achieve. After that I am unsure. There will be another station contest apparently so theres that.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I hope it also comes with rotors... I would then be able to replicate the Constellation more accurately with all those extending VTOL engines, turrets amd engines popping out

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I hope it also comes with rotors... I would then be able to replicate the Constellation more accurately with all those extending VTOL engines, turrets amd engines popping out
    You probably wouldn't be able to have functional thrusters on rails.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You probably wouldn't be able to have functional thrusters on rails.
    I hope the rail system works with logic and has destinations that when activated will basically call the rail to it, then we can finally have real elevators on ships.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I hope turrets become an integral part of their parent entity.

That way we can have hundreds of tiny turrets if we feel it necessary, without the massive maintenance cost.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah... IMO turrets should have maintenance cost to help balance them. Docked ships and those on hinges or rails, on the other hand... they should definitely count as part of the parent. Otherwise anything built on rails or docked is dead weight. :\

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah... IMO turrets should have maintenance cost to help balance them. Docked ships and those on hinges or rails, on the other hand... they should definitely count as part of the parent. Otherwise anything built on rails or docked is dead weight. :\
    We already have the lag problems caused by hundreds of turrets. Making them a part of the parent entity would really go a long way to reducing entity clutter during fights and large social events.

Reaction score
    I hope the rail system works with logic and has destinations that when activated will basically call the rail to it, then we can finally have real elevators on ships.
    I get a real bad feeling the rail system will only be useable on stations, like
    many good things like lifters and respawn points for the same ole' bull# such as 'muh balance' and 'b-b-b-ut the FIZIKZ is bad!'

Nevertheless I hope we get to build out rail system block by block, and not have one ugly ass block that acts as the 'train'.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I get a real bad feeling the rail system will only be useable on stations, like
    many good things like lifters and respawn points for the same ole' bull# such as 'muh balance' and 'b-b-b-ut the FIZIKZ is bad!'

Nevertheless I hope we get to build out rail system block by block, and not have one ugly ass block that acts as the 'train'.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
    Seeing as how the rail system will probably be an extension of the current dock system I imagine it's more a method to move docked entities around, possibly from one docking module to another.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We already have the lag problems caused by hundreds of turrets. Making them a part of the parent entity would really go a long way to reducing entity clutter during fights and large social events.
    How would you make them part of the parent entity AND still move? They can't be part of the main ship's block grid and still rotate.

Reaction score
    How would you make them part of the parent entity AND still move? They can't be part of the main ship's block grid and still rotate.
    I am inclined to declare this "truth".

Seeing as how the rail system will probably be an extension of the current dock system I imagine it's more a method to move docked entities around, possibly from one docking module to another.
    I'm imagining something similar. Obviously, a rail system like in Minecraft would totally suck in StarMade, which is why I expect there to be some kind of "Rail control point block" which would serve as control points for a rail track, similar to the connections between logic blocks. The "train" would be docked to the track and be able to move rather freely.