Recognized by Council Quick Coordinates

Reaction score
    Sorry if someone posted something similiar before,
    I didn't find another post with a similiar topic (though I didn't look long)

Anyway to the point,
    what I feel is missing in the Game is a way to quickly find certain coordinates,
    like the places where my factions members are, or finding the place where a friend stranded or anything.

I would like to be able to click on the coordinates next to the names of my faction members and switch automatically to the map screen, the giving sector selected,
    I also would love to be able to type in coordinates and jump directly there in the map view, instead of looking for it by pressing wasd qe for some time.

Giving those two it would not be hard to make all coordinates posted in the chat automatical links, bringing up the map with the sector selected.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I would like to be able to click on the coordinates next to the names of my faction members and switch automatically to the map screen, the giving sector selected,
    So long as this can be rank restricted by the faction. Would suck to get that 1 spy that tells everyone where every member is at all times.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I think this is one of the things people have requested and is something that would definitely help with navigation. Some games have implemented this before and from the game standpoint it would help locking onto other galaxies or things far away.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would like to see a sort of hyperlink generate when someone posts coordinates in the chat box. Formats could be:
    • x y z
    • x,y,z
    • x, y, z
    Posting integers in one of those formats in the chat box could generate a hyperlink that brings up the map with those coordinates selected. Right-clicking the link could give the option to save the coordinates as a remembered waypoint or set them as the current waypoint.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the matter.

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ummmm.... Why would you need the coordinates unless you are going to go there? Just set a waypoint and select that in the map view.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ummmm.... Why would you need the coordinates unless you are going to go there? Just set a waypoint and select that in the map view.
    To decide whether you want to go there.

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    To decide whether you want to go there.
    Is it really necessary to physically look at a player's location to see if you want to go there?

Also, hold shift when moving in the map view. :D

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is it really necessary to physically look at a player's location to see if you want to go there?
    Perhaps. In any case "set waypoint" should be a right click option so one does not accidentally overwrite an important waypoint and waste time.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    While I do agree, that this feature will be useful, and effectively has no significant downsides from what I can tell at the moment [2:10 am my time]:
    #pencil #paper #memory #findaway
    I want to rate this post both 'agree' and 'funny'.

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    GRRRRRR. Not everythingthing has to be included in the game, use the I/O ports on your body AKA hands.

Yes, everythingthing. Stop complaining.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    So long as this can be rank restricted by the faction. Would suck to get that 1 spy that tells everyone where every member is at all times.
    It's already in the faction tab and it's glorious, you just cant go to the map easily with it though.

Reaction score
    GRRRRRR. Not everythingthing has to be included in the game, use the I/O ports on your body AKA hands.

Yes, everythingthing. Stop complaining.
    We should just then remove the idea of multiple chat windows, have the basic one, and go back to metagaming.

Just because something sounds like simple idea that seems like the game doesn't need, doesn't mean it should not be added.

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You already can save coordinates in game anyway. Multiple chat windows have nothing to do with things you could write down to help organize, unless you want to log all of chat.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Just because an idea seems small currently, it does not mean that it would not be huge once released. There is plenty of small little things in StarMade that have been added, yet it was huge for many, and quite useful. In the end, the reason why we keep posting on this is because it would be a nice thing to add. It is like saying that the current launcher should be kept forever, even though small things can be done to make it easier on the user such as config changing.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I love the idea of clickable coordinates. Though I'd rather have the option of whether it opens the map or simply sets the coordinates. Perhaps a little box opens with 2 buttons when a link is clicked.

For faction members, I think the way it's set up now is a list view, so I don't see clicking the coordinates themselves as being feasible, because this opens up the options for the member. Instead, I suggest adding "Map View" and "Navigate" buttons, which will open a map centered on the member's current coordinates or set your navigation to them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    Scanner data would be improved with clickable links for faction homebases and for entities in the sector.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Navigation definitely needs an overhaul. Something like this would streamline play by getting you to the action faster when you want to be there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    You already can save coordinates in game anyway.
    I'd like to be able to enter coordinates manually too. Sometimes I use the galaxy map to find points of interest and then write them down. It would be so useful to have an ingame method of saving a series of waypoints. As the fleets are updated it would be useful to have a series of "safe" waypoints that fleets could use whether normal flight or hopefully FTL travel. It could be easier to set these waypoints manually so as to avoid sun damage, planets, pirate stations, enemy territory, etc.