Quick combat related improvements

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The best kind of combat is combat that pitches two pilots and shipwrights against each other, and the winner is the one who has fast reflexes, quick thinking, and a good ship.

This isn't the case in Star made, so here are some things that could really improve the game.

1. Make cannon bolts easier to see. Make them glow or something. Justify it RP by saying our computers make them shiny so we can detect them and dodge them quickly.

2. Put something in the tutorial about radar jammers. Seriously, if people are bored because most fights are fought over a distance of 10km, it is probably because they aren't using the jammers. Once the AI locking bug is fixed, this will become even more important.

3. Make missiles have a radar signature. I believe a warning system is going to come out, so that is good.

4. Set the default speed to 250 m/s. This makes it so the overdrive speed is 500 m/s, which is enough for you to outrun most missiles. So that would be interesting, make for some new tactics.

5. Make missile damage inversely proportional to its speed and turning rate, and directly proportional to its radius.

That is pretty much it! What do you guys think?

Reaction score
    1. I think it was made in mod http://starmadedock.net/threads/shader-mods-bearishs-super-mega-mod-thread-of-doom.1599/ . But I cannot see how it helps in PvP.
    4. Default speed can be changed in server configuration file (search THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT). And missile's speed is based on default speed. But you can outmanoeuvre most (maybe not missile/beam systems) of missiles on default 200 m/s.

The best kind of combat is combat that pitches two pilots and shipwrights against each other, and the winner is the one who has fast reflexes, quick thinking, and a good ship.
    IMHO, best is combat of fleets, massive fleets (100+ on each side). Where not only skill of single pilot is necessary but strategic and tactic of whole fleet.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    1. I think it was made in mod http://starmadedock.net/threads/shader-mods-bearishs-super-mega-mod-thread-of-doom.1599/ . But I cannot see how it helps in PvP.
    4. Default speed can be changed in server configuration file (search THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT). And missile's speed is based on default speed. But you can outmanoeuvre most (maybe not missile/beam systems) of missiles on default 200 m/s.

IMHO, best is combat of fleets, massive fleets (100+ on each side). Where not only skill of single pilot is necessary but strategic and tactic of whole fleet.
    1. It's easier to see and dodge enemy bullets, so there.
    4. I know it can be edited in the config, but I think it should be the default setting.

Don't get me wrong, fleet combat is great. Any sort of combat that pits two groups/people together is the best type of combat.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    2. Put something in the tutorial about radar jammers. Seriously, if people are bored because most fights are fought over a distance of 10km, it is probably because they aren't using the jammers. Once the AI locking bug is fixed, this will become even more important.
    My gut tells me that jammers are due for a fundamental change in how they work. Same for cloakers. Right now they just don't fit with the game. I suspect they'll be swapped out for an effect-styled system but I honestly don't know anything about it.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    4. Set the default speed to 250 m/s. This makes it so the overdrive speed is 500 m/s, which is enough for you to outrun most missiles. So that would be interesting, make for some new tactics.
    As said above, missiles are set as a % based on server speed.
    Default and /Cannon travel at 1.96%
    Heat Seekers are 0.98%
    /Beam is 3.92% I believe
    /Pulse is around 0.49%

What's more, turret turn rate could not handle ships at that speed, the most I believe the game could handle currently is probably 120 m/s before having to change various other configs.

I agree with making cannon shots easier to see, thing is they travel at 10x the server speed. It's not that they are barely visible, but rather too fast for us to really see, maybe add a short trail to them like missiles?

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    My gut tells me that jammers are due for a fundamental change in how they work. Same for cloakers. Right now they just don't fit with the game. I suspect they'll be swapped out for an effect-styled system but I honestly don't know anything about it.
    Cool! Is there any way you can get some info on that?

As said above, missiles are set as a % based on server speed.
    Default and /Cannon travel at 1.96%
    Heat Seekers are 0.98%
    /Beam is 3.92% I believe
    /Pulse is around 0.49%

What's more, turret turn rate could not handle ships at that speed, the most I believe the game could handle currently is probably 120 m/s before having to change various other configs.
    There would be no need for #4, then. I suppose that means you can outrun most missiles with overdrive, then. There should be something like that in the tutorial.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Make combat a turn-based mini-game.
    Problem solved :D

*not too seriously*