Quick and Easy Picture Tutorial: Door Labels

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Little things can turn "Meh" sections of your ship into "Wow" sections without a great deal of effort, so I thought I'd make a quick and easy tutorial on how to do some of them.

Today's Tutorial: Door Labels

In larger ships/stations, it can be difficult to navigate around without getting lost. One of the best ways to avoid getting lost is to label what area of the ship/station you are in. However, simply putting a display block on the wall with the current area or what is behind a door is bland and static looking. Instead, you can use a simple trick to make free floating hologram labels.

For this quick and easy tutorial, I'll just be showing you how to make a door label for a standard 3x3 round door, but you can apply the technique to many different places. Lets get started!

Step 1:

starmade-screenshot-0000.png
    Put two display monitors to the upper left of the door you want to label, facing the direction you want the label to be read from. This example is only showing how to label one side of the door, but you can label both sides by simply placing another set of displays on the other side facing the opposite direction.

Step 2:

Image1.png

starmade-screenshot-0002.png

In the leftmost display, put in your decorative boarder along with the spacers to push the displayed message off the block itself. Since the displays by default are not using a fixed width font, wide characters like X are better for pushing text off the screen than pure spaces, because it may take 2-3 spaces to get the same amount of push as a single X, and we are working with limited characters.

Image3.png

starmade-screenshot-0004.png

Repeat the process on the right block, moving down an appropriate number of rows and pushing the label for the door out into the center.

Step 3:

starmade-screenshot-0005.png

Place your hallway blocks around the door to give it the round appearance, as well as to hide the spacer characters.

Viola, you're done. Your doors now have a free floating hologram label, and all you have to do is copy/paste the text from the first set of displays and put them into the new ones as you go.

Reactions: MacThule

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    what other tutorial are you planing
    Quick and Easy Picture Tutorial: Automatic Doors

I'm thinking next will be how to build elevators. Going to be a little while on that one though, as I'm currently doing these as I build them into my current carrier titan (aka, I need to get to where I need an elevator in my build before I can take pictures of how to build it).

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Quick and Easy Picture Tutorial: Automatic Doors

I'm thinking next will be how to build elevators. Going to be a little while on that one though, as I'm currently doing these as I build them into my current carrier titan (aka, I need to get to where I need an elevator in my build before I can take pictures of how to build it).
    Elevators will be a hard one, there's so much variety. Are you planning just a simple 1 button per floor deal?

Reaction score
    elevators and turrets would help many

Also how shield and power is transferred between host and docked entities

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Elevators will be a hard one, there's so much variety. Are you planning just a simple 1 button per floor deal?
    Yeah, at most a floor up/down button and a call button.