Questions

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi, I'm new to Starmade and have a few questions for anyone who can answer them.

1. What is an efficient way to place shields/is there one? I place down a lot of shield capacitors and rechargers, yet the pirates manage to rip through them with ease. Earlier my ship got destroyed by two heat seeking missiles I didn't see until it was too late.

2. Slaving. I'd like a chart or something that shows the effect of slaving certain computers to others. I know one, and that's, missile slaved to cannon = shotgun effect.

3. Is there some kind of way to transfer items between factories?

4. Is there a server that everyone plays on? (If so what's the ip?) Or does everyone just play singleplayer?

5. Is there a way for me to change my name on the forums?

That's pretty much all, I've also been watching a walkthrough kind of thing on YouTube, and even though it's outdated, it's still informative.

EDIT: Also, tips about other things are welcome.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    1. What is an efficient way to place shields/is there one? I place down a lot of shield capacitors and rechargers, yet the pirates manage to rip through them with ease. Earlier my ship got destroyed by two heat seeking missiles I didn't see until it was too late.

2. Slaving. I'd like a chart or something that shows the effect of slaving certain computers to others. I know one, and that's, missile slaved to cannon = shotgun effect.

3. Is there some kind of way to transfer items between factories?

4. Is there a server that everyone plays on? (If so what's the ip?) Or does everyone just play singleplayer?
    1. In the case of shield generators and capacitors, only the amount of blocks matters. However, you also need the energy to power them.
      And regarding what is enough: Pirate stations are usually quite powerful, I don't know exact numbers from my head, but the damage per missile was in the hundred-thousands AFAIK.
    2. Image by Calbiri
    3. If both factories are on the same entity, yes: press C on one, and V on the other.
    4. There are many servers, I'd recommend you to look at some of the server-lists out there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    1: Place Shield Capacitors in chunks, shield generators don't matter.
    2: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/GiDGq28IXvE/maxresdefault.jpg (Minelayer isn't in the game so ignore that)
    3: Yes, C and V (Correct me if i am wrong, i don't quite remember and this maybe wrong)
    4: You can check the server list in the second launcher, there are plenty of servers with people.
    5: You can just go here http://help.star-made.org/support/home, make a new support ticket and tell them to change your name to X.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436037626,1436037521][/DOUBLEPOST]Ah, it seems my image weapons chart is outdated... :( (well, not really, Megas has a lot more of information and the effects)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    By the way, the chart from Calbiri is slightly outdated.

Piercing effect increases block damage and decreases shield damage
    Punchthrough, not really sure what it does exactly, but it's possible that it turns a percentage of block damage into Armor HP damage

Beam slave does *not* decrease weapon DPS anymore. I think it might possibly increase power consumption a little, though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As most of your questions seem to have been answered I'll focus on the one that interests me the most.

There are many servers, rather like many other games. Some are run by multi-game neworks, some by individuals. Each one has its own playerbase (though there is plenty of crossover too). There are also different playstyles to ponder over. Some servers do building and ship showcase stuff only, some focus on rampant and unchecked pvp, some on more focused pvp, still others do pve and have custom pirates to make you hide and tremble in a corner, finally you have some servers dedicated to world-building and rp environments for people to interact in. I am sure there are other niche playstyles as well. It all boils down to what you're interested in spending your time on.

The launcher has a serverlist but the information to be had there on each server is small. A better idea is to check one of the several server list sites or the "community servers" subforum here to research in detail the servers available.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Awesome! I think I'd prefer pve and custom pirates, I'll find a server for that soon.

One last question, I was building a ship, and the camera decided to act up, when I move the mouse it rotates around where the cursor is, instead of moving the screen. I'm not sure what caused it, but I'd like to go back to normal.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Awesome! I think I'd prefer pve and custom pirates, I'll find a server for that soon.

One last question, I was building a ship, and the camera decided to act up, when I move the mouse it rotates around where the cursor is, instead of moving the screen. I'm not sure what caused it, but I'd like to go back to normal.
    That camera problem is you zooming out. Holding the left SHIFT key and scrolling will zoom the camera in and out.