Question; WHEN are you going to do this power change?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    More information known. Lessons already learned. Late alpha would/could signify learning what you could from earlier play tests. Ideally you do want fail early/fail often as silicon valley likes to put it. That's what alpha is for.
    Seems to me that the patch-cascade process from minor mechanics corrections would require less work and time than maintaining two separate branches of the ships and dependent mechanics, the development branch of which would require the cascade process anyway (albeit less as the expectations for a dev branch are less, so some rough bits or ships that don't work will not matter much).

The other thing is, unless all systems are overhauled to work in some completely new way with the first new update, and the new systems are just far better from the start, the majority of people and servers will remain on the old system except for messing around, as the old system will probably be perceived as "better" and nobody wants to refit all their stuff.

In the end, the only way to properly test this is to force it on people after the initial dev build cycle. :P

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    whenever its ready. id say it should take as long as it needs to be done right, and not a minute longer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think when they add it in power blocks will stay in game for a while but unable to be bought crafted or used in creative like what happen to dockers when rails came out

Reaction score
    or get nerfed after some time. while the new blocks become the choice... I really hope Thrust enters the Equation as that IS something that is a annoying balance, especially if im balancing a larger AI ship. its never been about power for me. its always thrust.. and then balancing that with shields and ion.

Reaction score
    they may aswell do it next, heaps of players lost their stations and no backups on servers due to this update.

whats left of the playerbase is already restarting ahhaha

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    they may aswell do it next, heaps of players lost their stations and no backups on servers due to this update.

As someone who has lost a station in the past, my condolances to those without saved backups.

Save early, save often. Best advice I've ever gotten from a university professor.

Reaction score
    Might be a good thing to take daily local backups on stuff you've worked on, and then have a copy of them in a separate directory, so even if Steam updates your game, there will always be backups to dig up in case something happens during updates...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Bugs like this are generally fixed the day after the update... Homebases disappearing isn't going to be a permanent thing :P

Reaction score
    Or just blueprint everything, even when its finished or/and even monthly for your station
    [doublepost=1488032514,1488032419][/doublepost]
    Bugs like this are generally fixed the day after the update... Homebases disappearing isn't going to be a permanent thing :P
    It has been a permanent thing for a couple of players so far, corrupt/ no backup to restore to

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Or just blueprint everything, even when its finished or/and even monthly for your station
    [doublepost=1488032514,1488032419][/doublepost]
    It has been a permanent thing for a couple of players so far, corrupt/ no backup to restore to
    yea but thats just a couple...Not everyone was affected by this..
    Does it suck though regardless, goodness yes.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Might be a good thing to take daily local backups on stuff you've worked on, and then have a copy of them in a separate directory, so even if Steam updates your game, there will always be backups to dig up in case something happens during updates...
    I keep one back up on my local machine and another on my work machine. Also I tend to upload all the working versions to a build server. That way I don't lose everything.

Reaction score
    yea but thats just a couple...Not everyone was affected by this..
    Does it suck though regardless, goodness yes.
    Not everyone will admit it, and not everyone gets on the forum. You will find that less than 10% will post here like most games

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Not everyone will admit it, and not everyone gets on the forum. You will find that less than 10% will post here like most games
    Im very well aware of this, id be surprised if it was 10% For this game though...probably way less.. But i dont have the stats for anything.

Reaction score
    Bugger wasting time trying to figure it out, but i agree that its less than 10%

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Most servers have backups. Only stations, and not saved ships, were destroyed by this bug, and station blueprints and backups are still fine.

Reaction score
    I maybe looking at things all wrong and will be the first to admit it. Just not publicly. :) But I think what those who want the power system overhaul are looking at is game immersion. Most people when they play a spaceship game have the idea they are going to create what they saw on TV or Movie. A vessel designed to support life with compartmentalized areas for everything need. Like an engine room or reactor room. The current power system does not easily lend to such immersion. Thus the feel to need to redesign toward that goal. My 2 cents to this would be, if the system is to change have reactor pieces produce x energy and y heat. Different systems require x energy and produce y heat. Coolant systems require x energy and disperse y heat while heat sinks require no energy and disperse a smaller amount of heat. This way when planning a design one can easily calculate how much each energy is needed and how much heat needs to be dealt with. My small piece being said. Flame On Trolls

Treefolk

The Clueless
    Reaction score
    I maybe looking at things all wrong and will be the first to admit it. Just not publicly. :) But I think what those who want the power system overhaul are looking at is game immersion. Most people when they play a spaceship game have the idea they are going to create what they saw on TV or Movie. A vessel designed to support life with compartmentalized areas for everything need. Like an engine room or reactor room. The current power system does not easily lend to such immersion. Thus the feel to need to redesign toward that goal. My 2 cents to this would be, if the system is to change have reactor pieces produce x energy and y heat. Different systems require x energy and produce y heat. Coolant systems require x energy and disperse y heat while heat sinks require no energy and disperse a smaller amount of heat. This way when planning a design one can easily calculate how much each energy is needed and how much heat needs to be dealt with. My small piece being said. Flame On Trolls
    I'm just starting to poke into Starmade seriously (just tonight I discovered the woes of 10% Attachment penalties on a base turret as it consumes more than 1mil e/sec) and what I'm finding with the power discussion is that there's merit to both sides of the argument and it led me to wonder:

Why not multiple power systems?

We have one that works decently well now, it does lend itself to certain designs (I've had a good deal of fun puzzling out how to effectively weave multiple power cores to better maximize e/s per block, etc) but having another power system doesn't mean the old one has to leave. It could be another distinction between the NPC factions, pirates use nuclear reactors (heat system) while trades use our current reactors while another faction could use solar panels (or some other method). If each system had different efficiencies and different "peaks', it would add another layer to the game while not removing much from the game.