Question: the ultimate fate of outdated blocks and blueprints?

Reaction score
    If you want to play with old power, play on Aetherion. Old power is still enabled.
    LvD also has plenty of sources of old blocks. I don't recall if they are all craftable, but there are 10s of millions of old blocks sitting around in player storages not being used you could trade for, plus all the old HUB ships can be purchased and scrapped for 1.0 blocks.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    LvD also has plenty of sources of old blocks. I don't recall if they are all craftable, but there are 10s of millions of old blocks sitting around in player storages not being used you could trade for, plus all the old HUB ships can be purchased and scrapped for 1.0 blocks.
    yeah There are a bunch of old power stations you can refurbish and use

Reactions: Benevolent27

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've wasted a couple nearly full blueprints now on unobtainable blocks. (One on an almost 40K ship...) It's not a fun surprise.

I see a couple potential fixes for this:
    • Make all unobtainable blocks decorative and obtainable
    • Allow to remove blocks from a blueprint (so as to not waste blocks)
    • Allow to spawn a partially full blueprint with unobtainable blocks as empty space
    Any of these solutions would be equally helpful.

Thank you!
    I had run into this when I first started playing. This was right after the new rail system was released A lot of blueprints had the old dockers on them. "How to" videos on youtube had instructions on how to build turrets and dock your ship using the OLD dockers. But how would one build the ship if they could not make the docker blocks? And even if someone did somehow get the blocks.. the docking mechanism no longer worked, and the blocks did NOT inform the player that they were depreciated blocks.

The solution I came up with was to hunt pirates, since pirates would drop ALL kinds of blocks, and I could get a few dockers that way. Haha. Though.. Then the problem was the blocks simply didn't work and I had no idea why. I spent HOURS trying to make this work. I don't think that is an intended feature of gameplay. On LvD we had to disable loot drops though since people could get thousands of gold bars hunting pirates.. Not good.

So I think it's really up to servers to decide how to deal with these old blocks right now. Some servers might re-enable recipes for the old blocks so they could still be used decoratively. But I would agree with you on your solutions. By default, I think all OLD blocks should still be craftable, even if their functionality is removed. Their names also should be then changed to include the word "decorative" or "depreciated" though and their ability to connect to modules and things should also be disabled, so it's a bit more obvious to new players that these blocks are no longer to be used as functional blocks. Perhaps even include in the description of the block WHAT feature replaced the blocks, to point new players in the right direction on what they need to learn.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I had run into this when I first started playing. This was right after the new rail system was released A lot of blueprints had the old dockers on them. "How to" videos on youtube had instructions on how to build turrets and dock your ship using the OLD dockers. But how would one build the ship if they could not make the docker blocks? And even if someone did somehow get the blocks.. the docking mechanism no longer worked, and the blocks did NOT inform the player that they were depreciated blocks.

The solution I came up with was to hunt pirates, since pirates would drop ALL kinds of blocks, and I could get a few dockers that way. Haha. Though.. Then the problem was the blocks simply didn't work and I had no idea why. I spent HOURS trying to make this work. I don't think that is an intended feature of gameplay. On LvD we had to disable loot drops though since people could get thousands of gold bars hunting pirates.. Not good.

So I think it's really up to servers to decide how to deal with these old blocks right now. Some servers might re-enable recipes for the old blocks so they could still be used decoratively. But I would agree with you on your solutions. By default, I think all OLD blocks should still be craftable, even if their functionality is removed. Their names also should be then changed to include the word "decorative" or "depreciated" though and their ability to connect to modules and things should also be disabled, so it's a bit more obvious to new players that these blocks are no longer to be used as functional blocks. Perhaps even include in the description of the block WHAT feature replaced the blocks, to point new players in the right direction on what they need to learn.
    Lol did you know pirate turrets drop loot?

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Pirate drops definitely need loot tables, and the game needs to explicitly omit blocks with a deprecated tag.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Pirate drops definitely need loot tables, and the game needs to explicitly omit blocks with a deprecated tag.
    Definitely. Also depreciated blocks need to not be included when a shop is restocked. For example, I wanted to make it so a NPC shop would also get regular free blocks to help ensure a good variety of blocks are available via remote shop trading with them, but if I restock the shop with a console command via script, it will also restock the shop with depreciated and disabled blocks, like gold bars.. Only stick shops seem to properly filter out depreciated and unused blocks from being restocked. (Not to mention a rather nasty exploit that is out there, but which I will not go into the details about, for obvious reasons)