(Question) Lock-On missile turret and Y-Axis

Reaction score
    I'm starting the turrets on my ship and was wondering if the y-axis was really necessary for a missile-beam turret? Can the AI-controlled missiles acquire locks without being pointed at the enemy (as in they just auto-acquire regardless of orientation)?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I've made some fixed direction turrets before and they seem to only like firing at what is in front of them. In the case of lock-ons I'd say it might not matter but a fast way to test is to make a simple missile launching turret barrel and spawn some fodder pirates.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I'm pretty sure the AI still has to be able to look at an enemy to get the lock.

(I've never actually tested it so I guess I can't guarantee that behavior, but if it can get a lock without looking then that's just plain silly)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think you'll be ok, as long as the core and the AI of the docked turret is pointed at the enemy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The bobby AI does have to face the target to fire lock on missiles at it. Though you can point the computer in a different direction and the lock on missiles will initially launch in that direction.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    The missile + beam gives you a little more wiggle room then the other weapons.

The ai will fire as long as you are faceing the general direction of the target.

I use them in my builds, works well :)

Reaction score
    Crimsonartist made some turrets he nicknamed "coins" a while back (like before the HP update when I kinda lost interest in this game but everything else in EA right now seems to be even worse shit). They only rotate up and down within a limited arc.

Anywho...I put a couple in the wings of a ship I was working on and they work fairly reliably (when they aren't getting blowed up) on targets in the general direction of their front.

I think Nuclearfun is probably the "missile turret king" around here and he wasn't even sure about acquisition and firing last time we chatted.

The best test would probably be to make a turret that can't rotate in any direction. So single rail and then block it so it can't rotate. See what it can fire on. I haven't really been able to do this since you really need a friend or two to assist and observe and I don't have any friends (and no, I don't want any before anyone offers...I'll wait for better AI :P )

Since we're talking about missiles, can anyone kindly point me to update logs where weapons were changed. It seems to me all weapon damage & power costs were doubled, and then missile damage was doubled again as lovin for other nerfs. All my ships have weapon systems they can't fire now :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    All beams and cannons doubled dps to 10/sec/block so the power use doubled as well. Just half the number of weapon blocks to go back to previous damage and power usage.

Missile/beam range increase to 4.8x sector size.
    All missile x4 damage compared to previously and x2 more power. Missile damage seems to have increased to 10dps per block as well then doubled again as the missile damage system as changed. Damage radiates out from the centre point so usually if you hit a flat surface half the damage radiates away and doesn't count. Before damage would be used up on things within radius. Now if you hit an antenna it won't take a lot of damage but if you manage to fire a missile inside a hole to explode inside the target it will take a lot more of the available missile damage.

Pulse damage radiates out from the centre point as well. Pulse weapons impact area changed. The output block is no longer the centre point. The centre point is the distance of the radius of the pulse in the direction of the computer from the output block.

Reaction score
    All beams and cannons doubled dps to 10/sec/block so the power use doubled as well. Just half the number of weapon blocks to go back to previous damage and power usage.

Missile/beam range increase to 4.8x sector size.
    All missile x4 damage compared to previously and x2 more power. Missile damage seems to have increased to 10dps per block as well then doubled again as the missile damage system as changed. Damage radiates out from the centre point so usually if you hit a flat surface half the damage radiates away and doesn't count. Before damage would be used up on things within radius. Now if you hit an antenna it won't take a lot of damage but if you manage to fire a missile inside a hole to explode inside the target it will take a lot more of the available missile damage.

Pulse damage radiates out from the centre point as well. Pulse weapons impact area changed. The output block is no longer the centre point. The centre point is the distance of the radius of the pulse in the direction of the computer from the output block.
    Thanks!