Question: How Much is Too Much?

Reaction score
    In a realistic combat situation;
    How many Drones on a Carrier is 'enough'?
    How many Turrets on a Carrier or Battleship 'enough'?

Whenever I build something, I end up trying to build bigger and bigger, with more and more Turrets and Drones attached, to the point of never even finishing the design before starting again on something bigger and 'better'. At what point is really enough?

I also don't exactly have the highest end machine, so reaching the point of too much has been a concern in that regard as well.

Honest question.
    Thank you.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    As i see it there are no rules, so enough is when you are satisfied.

the only concern should be if you are going to explode the server fucking it up for everyone else

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The realistic upper bound is essentially so high that a single builder is very unlikely to ever reach it without making massive cuts in the aesthetics and detailing department. When an actually good looking boundary-pushing ship is in the works by a single builder, this takes years as seen with keptick 's charon.

Reaction score
    Very well then, thank you. I suppose i'll have to make some limits for myself then.

On a related note, is there a prefer or optimal ratio of Offensive : Defensive : Anti-Missile Turrets and Drones, when creating groups of them?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Theres no maximum but you need a minnimum of about 30 drones to reach that critical mass for hte swarm effect... ok there is a maximum but the maximum rendereable ship is about 8km long and the maximum possible ship is about 112km long.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you don't have the patience to finish a design you shouldn't go even bigger.

Reaction score
    Well, it's never been that I don't have the patience, it's more that I'm chasing the 'Perfect Swarm', which makes me wanna start over bigger and bigger.

But thank you AtraUnam

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Whenever I build something, I end up trying to build bigger and bigger, with more and more Turrets and Drones attached, to the point of never even finishing the design before starting again on something bigger and 'better'. At what point is really enough?
    First question: 'big enough' for what? Are you trying to kill a pirate base with 40 fighters defending it? Are you fighting humans in MP?

It's all relative to the target you are trying to dominate. Then you have to decide how much bigger than them you need to be. You are looking for a ratio more than just a number picked out of the air.

Other question: If you are not finishing these ships are you able to do any field-testing of your designs? If not then I would suggest you finish a smaller ship and run extensive trials with the design. Tweak it based on your findings and from it you will glean insight into the ratio of offence to defense in that ship. You will find out how important maneuverability is to the ship and learn that tactics change with ship size and weapon-choices.

If you are on an endless build cycle without combat, you may be shooting in the dark.