Question for the schema team.....

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So I'm planning to build a ship, somewhere close to capital.
    And I need to know, just like everyone wants, when could we expect the rails?
    I know that you m8 want to answer we don't want to make prommises,
    but could you roughly say when we can expect it, in months, weeks if close.
    Or can you say When we can start expecting it, in other words: when will it be 'possible' to have the rails ingame. So that I know if i need to let it go for now, or to get super-duper-epic-awesome-exited.
    The stress in my body is getting to much......

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It won't be weeks, it's a big feature to add and we have a lot of completely new stuff to add in to make it happen.

Reactions: Mariux

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Rule #1: Never ask for release dates.
    Rule #2: Never ask for release dates.
    Rule #3: Please refer to rules #1 and #2.

In the event of these rules being broken, expect a super vague answer that won't inform you in the slightest. Refer to the post above for an example.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SkylordLuke

X_

Reaction score
    What are these rails you are talking about? Where can I find information about it?

Reaction score
    What are these rails you are talking about? Where can I find information about it?
    It was in last week's post. There really isn't that much info to go on other that 'it's coming SOON (tm)'

That said yeah sad that it isn't coming that soon, I'm super hyped for it.

X_

Reaction score
    What are they going to do? Are they going to be like minecart rails, or another kind of transport rails?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    What are they going to do? Are they going to be like minecart rails, or another kind of transport rails?
    If I interpret it correctly, like docks, except the "docked" entity can move along them.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Rule #1: Never ask for release dates.
    Rule #2: Never ask for release dates.
    Rule #3: Please refer to rules #1 and #2.

Fact: In the event of these rules being broken, expect a super vague answer that won't inform you in the slightest. Refer to the post above for an example.
    hmmm yea that fact is kinda true, but hey atleast I didn't ask for a date.
    I asked for a vague answer now I know that it won't be weeks, which sounds more like it will only be a few days instead of months :p
    And sorry that I sort of broke the rules :(
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423849172,1423849044][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It won't be weeks, it's a big feature to add and we have a lot of completely new stuff to add in to make it happen.
    Could you tell a bit about it?
    will it be possible for the rails to make things rotate? (probably not)
    And you said otherstuff, could you say the best things? or will it be a suprise?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    hmmm yea that fact is kinda true, but hey atleast I didn't ask for a date.
    I asked for a vague answer now I know that it won't be weeks, which sounds more like it will only be a few days instead of months :p
    And sorry that I sort of broke the rules :(

And you said otherstuff, could you say the best things? or will it be a suprise?
    It would not be difficult at all to make things rotate. We can already do so with turrets. The most basic principle is that these things will allow rotation and movement along the rails. If this is not what the devs are doing then I think everyone would be surprised. This feature could be the next big thing for ships. A whole new level to design. No more logic doors. Lets just have them actually slide open. Thats just the start.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    It would not be difficult at all to make things rotate. We can already do so with turrets. The most basic principle is that these things will allow rotation and movement along the rails. If this is not what the devs are doing then I think everyone would be surprised. This feature could be the next big thing for ships. A whole new level to design. No more logic doors. Lets just have them actually slide open. Thats just the start.
    I think rotators or something like that will be a separate block/option.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    i think it is totaly not easy, yes it is easy with 1 block. but think of it when you have a 9x9x9 cube think of that animation
    it would bend when you talk logicly but that is impossible to make, splitting the 9x9x9 cube into 1x9x9 lines would be ugly
    it is harder then you think, if you just realise making solid pieces follow something that is round

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    i think it is totaly not easy, yes it is easy with 1 block. but think of it when you have a 9x9x9 cube think of that animation
    it would bend when you talk logicly but that is impossible to make, splitting the 9x9x9 cube into 1x9x9 lines would be ugly
    it is harder then you think, if you just realise making solid pieces follow something that is round
    I have absolutely no idea as to what you are talking about. Where did this blending of a cube come from? Turrets can already rotate seamlessly. The easiest way to explain rails is to demonstrate it as if it were a turret. Imagine the turret is attached to a rail (as it is with a module) and it can run along it as a track. Just imagine putting a bunch of this track in straight lines and whatever is attached will be able to traverse it's length. The easiest practical use for this would be the ship elevator from the Starmade trailer.

Last edited:

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    This confuses me.

Do you mean we wont have to wait long, or do you mean that it will take a few weeks to get done.
    it will take a while due to the new core systems that need to be added into the game. Things we've previously not had to consider we now need to and in ways that don't effect performance drastically, so it won't be a quick implementation.

as none of the core functionality has been tried in game yet I can't say what will or won't make it into the game. Needless to say though our desire is to include them in such a way that players have the most freedom to create what they want.

This won't be a one block for each movement sort of thing, but more blocks that can form a framework for you to build what you want, which is one of the foundations StarMade is built on. As such you can understand why we're taking some time to plan it out, talk through it a lot so we can refine the concepts and ultimately what should be implemented into the game.

We've been reading the forum threads about players' ideas, and obviously we've tried to think pretty far out of the box, now we're going what's achievable and what isn't, and what might be achievable for those who can think laterally.

Reactions: CyberTao

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    and what might be achievable for those who can think laterally.
    I love seeing people get creative with ingame mechanics, that little chance that something could be used for something entirely different than the intended idea.

Reaction score
    This won't be a one block for each movement sort of thing, but more blocks that can form a framework for you to build what you want,
    Brilliant, if I'm reading this right then this means that we can easily build out own 'trains'. I can't wait to see the applications this can have, along with what people who are good with logic are going to do with this. Good luck on the work Bench.